The Garfield Show - Series Talkback

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by The Huntsman, Oct 31, 2009.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    While the series doesn’t officially premiere until next week, one segment was aired today and can be watched again via Cartoon Network West shortly after the Scooby-Doo movie ends in about an hour and a half. Next week, the series will air Monday through Friday at 10:30 AM, with a repeat at 3:00 PM on the same day.

Episodes:
    • November 2nd - Orange and Black / Freaky Monday
    • November 3rd - Pasta Wars / Mother Garfield
    • November 4th - Bone Diggers / Robot
    • November 5th - Catnap / Agent X
    • November 6th - A Game of Cat and Mouse / Perfect Pizza
    • November 12th - King Nermal / Desperately Seeking Pookie
    • November 13th - High Scale / Jon's Night Out
    • November 16th - Not So Sweet Sound / Turkey Trouble
    • November 18th - Pup in the Pound / Odie in Love
    • November 19th - Pet Matchers / Lucky Charms
    • November 20th - Curse of the Were-Dog / Meet the Parents

2. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

I don't see why this can't get a primetime slot. Did they really think it was THAT little kid-ish?

3. The Huntsman

It’s hard to tell what they’re thinking anymore. I recall reading a press release of sorts that mentioned how “The Garfield Show” did relatively well in the United Kingdom with individuals over the age of 15, so it’s not like it’s a preschool show. At least it’s getting a repeat at 3:00 PM, which lets some kids watch it when they get home from school, but generally the ratings are going to be horrible because much of the target demographic isn’t going to be home during its timeslot.

4. The Huntsman

That was… average. There were some funny moments, don’t get me wrong, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have liked. It also seemed like the lip synch was a bit off, but I guess such is to be expected since the series was initially made for France.

5. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

That was pretty good, for sure a major step up form those awful CGI Direct-to-DVD movies.

6. The Huntsman

I really liked "Freaky Monday". It was much better than the other segment and I hope that such is indicative that the rest of the series will be that good as well. It may have had a cliché plot, but it was handled well enough to overlook.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I had completely forgotten it was supposed to premiere today (i.e., for real this time). So am I to understand that TOON actually AIRED the show this time?

8. The Huntsman

Yeah. It should repeat at 3:00 PM as well.

9. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

The episode is airing all right. Now, I wasn't sure because I caught the first segment in progress, but after seeing the second segment, I can honestly say that I can't watch this show for one important reason: he has moving lips again.

Now, before anyone says that this shouldn't distract me from watching it (or anything similar), understand that his lips NOT moving is an important part of his character; we're supposed to be hearing his "thoughts" with the ambiguous possibility of being able to "communicate" with Jon somehow (he most certainly can "talk" to Odie...). I had hoped that this new show would be different from the three DTV's and actually not make his lips move. However the show appears to be made by those same people (or not, I'm not sure; same difference either way). No offense to anyone here, but I'm really not keen on watching material that pretends as though anything made before the first live-action movie didn't exist (I have all the specials and the 1st vol. of G&F on DVD). Having his lips move really isn't fair to Jim Davis or the legacy (such as it is, admittedly) that he created, and IMO, Davis isn't being fair to himself or the readers/viewers for either compromising his own artistic integrity, or allowing others to do so, whichever it happens to be (but that's for another topic).

I really wanted to watch this show, too, but it really isn't fair to cater to just the people who only know the live-action movies (which are nothing like the comics, but again that's for another topic). I don't know about anyone else, but the next time a Garfield production is made, maybe, just maybe, it should be 2-D animated. That way, they won't have an excuse to make his lips move.

Now, I'm not saying any of this as some traditional/hardcore fan or anything, I'm saying this as someone who appreciates artisitc integrity, and staying true to the source material, and who is against the original artists/creators/authors/what have you compromising all that and/or allowing others to do it. Really, even the moving lips by itself is "adaptation decay" regardless of where it happens...

10. Dub

Dub BOB-OMB!

So...

Your complaint isn't about the writing - which is being handled by the top tier veteran of the 90's cartoon. Or the CGI (which would probably be a legitimate complaint). Or anything else.

Your complaint and reasoning for abandoning the show is because of the lips?

...kay. Your perrogative I suppose.

Anywhoo - I only saw the ep that aired today (Pasta Wars/Mother Garfield) and it feels a lot like what some of the classic Garfield eps would be like if the shorts were expanded into a longer 2 episode format instead of the classic 3. Plenty of fourth wall breaking and tongue in cheek humor. As a result, there's more focus on the plot and the characters but it also means the jokes aren't as rapid-fire/mile-a-minute as the old show used to be. That's not necessarily a bad thing as G&F had a tendency to never take itself seriously and this show looks to follow the same formula but it does make the show slower paced. If anyone other than Evanier was doing the show I'd be worried, but I think he adapts to the format change pretty well.

It's not the greatest by far, but in truth it's really not half bad. Felt like some of the more OK/subdued episodes of Garfield and Friends. I'm used to Garfield's new voice but the music isn't anywhere near as catchy (I loved the G&F soundbytes and just got too used to them). To it's benefit however, its leagues better than those DTV "cartoon world" abominations and definately a HUGE step up from the live action movies.

I think I'll keep giving it a watch.

11. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Man, I don't get home until about 4p, but I have this Friday off so I'll have to try to check this out then.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I saw "Pasta Wars" and "Mother Garfield" this afternoon. It wasn't great, but I've seen worse. The CGI animation, while not on Pixar's level of quality, didn't turn me off, and the format of having two 10 minute shorts per show instead of three 7 minute shorts could actually work to the writers' advantage, since that means more time to devote to the storytelling. It would have been nice to have gotten some U.S. Acres in there as well, though.

Like I said already, The Garfield Show was just OK. Not great, but not crud.

13. KITT1982

KITT1982 The Knight Rider

is it online at all for those of us who miised it?

14. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

I saw Bone Diggers today.
    It really wasn't that bad, I was surprised by how nice the animation looked. The writing could use a little work, but other than that, it's an alright show.

15. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Watched todays episodes. This is a pretty good show - BY FAR better than those DTVs.

I fail to see why this can't have some form of Primetime slot, or have its premieres in an after-school block along with Casper and Gormiti.

16. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

It's funny: I couldn't stand the bad everything of the Garfield DTVs, and I've never met a French cartoon I didn't loathe. (Marathon, Moonscoop, Molly, and mediocrity: alliteration is fun!) You'd think I'd hate this to the second power. Thankfully, they had the foresight to involve Garfield and Friends' head writer Mark Evanier in the process, which not only helps the writing, it helps the English dub so much I wouldn't even want to try watching it in French: the inclusion of the existing cast certainly didn't hurt.

Props to the people involved for taking two things I loathed and making something I can bear watching. It may not be fantastic, but it had a hell of a climb to even get this bearable.

17. AnimationX

AnimationX R.I.P Tangath Toborn

I just caught this show for the first time and I actually kind of liked it, it was witty and had some cute humor to it, it's a shame that CN isn't going to give it any proper treatment. Catnap/Agent X were the two shorts I saw today, and while Agent X was pretty good I felt that Catnap was slightly more funny, I enjoyed the storyline of John coming home from the dentist and the animals mistaking him for a burgler.

Hopefully this show sticks around, I doubt it will but I guess I can hope, I know a lot of people don't care much for this show but I just love these iconic characters and it's good to see them back in one form or another.

18. The Huntsman

I’ve always liked Nermal. The new voice will take some time to get used to, but he’s still downright adorable – which is the very essence of his character. It’s a shame that there are only a few episodes this season that heavily involve him.

19. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Saw the episodes today. Seriously, if I had an e-mail address for CN that could make a message actually get through to them, I'd advise them to give this show a chance. Promote it. Give it a better timeslot for new episodes.

20. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

What is the deal with Garfield's lips moving when he talks? That is going take getting used to.