1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Future . . . What Do You Want To See Here and at TXB?

Discussion in 'Toonami (Archived Forum)' started by Jeff Harris, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I'm currently working on a few projects on my end, but I am curious what do you want to see presented on this forum.

NO POLLS or "THIS" comments!

I want to get inside the heads of the remaining readers of this forum. Now that Toonami is in the history books, what do you want to see from this forum? Obviously the focus on Toonami is going to be narrowed but it won't completely be gone. Instead of just talking up the ghost, what ELSE would you like to see covered at the forum besides Toonami and The X Bridge?

Speaking of TXB, I've written well over 500 pages worth of content at The X Bridge over the almost 11-year span of the site, and I'm currently updating that as well. The last update got interrupted when my previous computer died on me, and I'm sort of in the process of rebuilding it from scratch (the site, not the computer).

The X Bridge is still going to have columns about action-animation, comics, and commentary on the industry as a whole. But it will also have a creative component I'm not ready to talk about at the moment. But that will be covered as well. What do you want me talking about on the site? What's on your mind?

There are going to be changes around these parts in the coming months, but I need your help. Thank you.

2. chdr

chdr Active Member

I would really love to see you continue those year-by-year Toonami pages you started in the TICA Base and never finished.

Also, are there any specific BXT reviews to look out for in the future?

3. Jeff Harris

That's already in the works. I have nothing more to add to Legacy except the remaining years, though to be honest, the timeline is up to date.

4. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I was curious: how ambitious do you want the creative content to be? Do you want the X Bridge to become this massive site for new creatives to get a trial by fire? Is the X Bridge going to become a more organized comicgenesis/deviantART? There's a lot of ways to take the creative content at this time. I think that the X Bridge and its forums could become a great way to encourage creativity and imagination among musicians, writers, artists, mixers, voice actors, or whatever, but also a way for creative people to practice their craft and put it out in front of an established audience.

In other words, The X Bridge evolves into a forum where this generation's creatives come from to present to publishers, executives, and producers everywhere . . .

I wish I could express myself a little more clearly, but it's late where I live and I've been up since 3 a.m.

5. Jeff Harris

I'm not going THAT far. Those sites exist already, and doing alright. The X Bridge is going to be The X Bridge, a connection point

When I talk creativity, it's a two-pronged process. When I left CNX behind, part of the reason I did that was to evolve beyond Toonami, and now the block is gone, I'm free to do so. I'm not forgetting Toonami by a long shot. It's a permanent part of the legacy of the site.

Over the last decade, I've been largely destructive and critical about everything around me, and for once, I'd like to return to my creative roots, constructive rather than destructive. I want to celebrate the creative process as well as those that dare to participate. I am a creator by trade and design. What I want to do is stop complaining and start creating myself. I want to celebrate writers, animators, comic artists, voice artists, designers, and anyone that works on the other side of the pencil or monitor. I also want to go behind the scenes of the creative process and give readers hints and tips on creating their own things. Those that do all the work while their bosses and publishers get all the accolades. Kind of like a new bohemian experience for the creative generation that grew up watching Japanese animation, the DCAU, action-cartoons, comics-based movies, and reading comics over the last couple of decades. In short, the stuff I already cover at The X Bridge.

The thing is . . . well, The Drawing Board and The Story Board are the creative sides at Toon Zone. And they're doing a fine job at that. This Forum will become something connected to whatever my site evolves into. It won't be focused on just Toonami and Toonami-related fare anymore.

The X Bridge is more than that, and I want readers to realize that in the coming months.

I also want to showcase my own works. My comics, stories, and other fare. I've been an artist before I could speak, and I think The X Bridge could be used as an outlet for my creativity. I have plenty of stories to tell, and one story I've been fleshing out for almost a decade is almost ready for the world. I think the timing is right.

I don't know how well-received this direction will be, but The X Bridge is becoming something else. The Forum will become the place to talk about it.

6. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Hm, maybe you want to start having discussions on CN's current action shows? Even though Toonami is gone, CN still has plans to show action based animated shows. Afterall, Toonami was structured as an action block to begin with.

7. Jeff Harris

That's without question. I'll talk about the action fare on Cartoon Network around here in the future. They seem like they have some good stuff coming down the pike in the coming months, and I can't wait.

8. Nemesis Wonder

Considering recruiting or allowing aspiring writers or creators to the site?

9. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

Hey Jeff. Just wanted to say that I've been, and still am a big fan of your "Toonami Timeline". As one of the lucky few who's been watching Cartoon Network well before the debut of Toonami (hell, even before "World Premiere Toons"), and as part of the first generation to grow with CN, it was a real treat reading through the "Pre-Toonami Years" portion. The Timeline has also been a big influence on my long-running "Old-School Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread" over at the CN forum. Its also motivated me to dig deeper into the history of pre-Toonami CN, which hasn't been as well documented as its later years, nor is it as well remembered. And I've come up with quite a lot of stuff, both through digging through tons of ancient usenet convos (some of which included you believe it or not, as far back as a decade or so ago!) and through a stash of circa-January-July 1995 Cartoon Network recordings that I got my hands on last year, which I've yet to go entirely through. So far both avenues have provided quite a wealth of info, which I'm sure would be great additions (and corrections) to the "Pre-Toonami" portion of the Timeline:

- "G-Force: Guardians of Space", Cartoon Network's first-ever anime, premiered on Monday, January 2, 1995 at 6PM weekdays. "James Bond Jr." most likely premiered on that day as well (which I gather from this promo courtesy of me, which aired on January 9th, 1995:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbCycqIUYU) Neither premiered in the summer of 1995 as mentioned in the Timeline, though "Afternoon Adventures", the replacement for "Super Adventures" looks like it did debut that summer (with an initial lineup of "James Bond Jr.", "Captain Planet", "SWAT Kats" and Jonny Quest", from 4:30PM-6:30PM).

- CN aired its first-ever anime movies, "Robot Carnival", "Vampire Hunter D" and "Twilight of the Cockroaches", on January 29, 1995 as "Night of the Vampire Robots, as shown here in this promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_x7l_7O8Pg They aired early Sunday morning (in what's today's ASA timeslot) from midnight-6AM. The trio of movies would air a couple more times in that same timeslot throughout 1995, most notably in the summer of 1995 (July?) as "Saturday Japanime", or "1995 Summer Anime Festival" (a promo on one of my tapes calls it the former). All three movies, already edited for broadcast by Turner censors, had previously aired on TBS & TNT on late nights, and before that on the Sci-Fi Channel during the early days of its anime block.

- Approx. Spring 1995: CN's Saturday late-night action block of old H-B action shows and shorts, "Super Adventure Saturdays", is revamped as "Power Zone", which oddly enough would eventually become the main action afternoon block on CN sometime in 1996. But yeah, the "Power Zone" moniker and logo originated from this late-night block.

- "Speed Racer", CN's second anime premiered with an all-day marathon on Sunday, February 18, 1996, not the summer of '96 as mentioned in the Timeline.

That's all I got for now.....what do you think? :D

#9 Ace Goodheart, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  10. Jeff Harris

I dig it! Much thanks, man. I haven't really looked at the timeline, and to be honest, a lot of the pre-May 1995 stuff was based on stuff I read elsewhere. When the timeline is fixed (more linear and graphical), the edits will be made.

Again, thank you!

11. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Uhhh...am I the only one who thinks this forum is completely unnecessary now?

12. Jeff Harris

Read. Relax. Be patient.

More details forthcoming in weeks ahead.

13. J!!!

J!!! You're such a little kid~

Mind my asking Mr. Jeff but why no Pokemon,Yugioh, or Bakugan dicussions allowed? All of those shows aired on Toonami and Pokemon does have real fighting in it so why not?

14. Jeff Harris

Personal preferences. Plus, not really fond of glorified instructional infomercials that pretty much give tips on how to play the games they're based on.

15. J!!!

Alright I understand. Besides Yugioh and Bakugan don't even have that fans on this board anyways. But I guess we'll just keep dicussing Pokemon in the anime board.

16. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

I can't really say that I'm fond of that rule either, mainly because of all the grey area. For instance, should discussions of shows like Kiba and Huntik be allowed? They're both based on and meant to promote card games, but don't really show it at all in the television series. And then there's also the classic example of Yu-Gi-Oh! where the original storyline is only toyetic in the middle half of the series.

17. J!!!

And Sonic X was made for a crad game too but they never play it in the show so that's left in the open too.

18. Jeff Harris

I really don't see what's the gray area about that rule. Those shows you mentioned are exceptions to the rules. But let's be honest. Who's really going to talk about those shows en masse?

The original storyline which, I may add, never aired in the US on television. Yu-Gi-Oh has essentially is centered the card game in every incarnation .

The Toonami culture trumps all around these parts by a margin, and shows largely centered around game concepts with how-to rules about them (without mocking them as Duel Masters perfectly did) aren't welcome around these parts.

Also, Sonic X was based on a video game character.

19. J!!!

I know Sonic is a game character I have 5 of the games:p. But the rule is king of confusing though like with Ben 10 Alien Force that show was made to promote new toys so I don't know rather we can talk about it or not. But that's all I have to say about it.

20. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

Jeff, two things about your article.

First, don't you mean September 21st, 2008, not October? And second, Digimon wasn't built around a card game. It was the predecessor to Tamagatchi in Japan. Then the anime came, and then the card game came. Its like Naruto; the anime came first, then the card game came. Plus, Digimon's card game is pretty dead ( :( ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.