1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Future Of "Rule The World"

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by The Huntsman, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Disney thread has about 40 days left in it, so we should be able to start up by mid-January. Still not 100% sure which direction to go in.

I've got two big ideas: Rule the New World (choose an empire to sail for, colonize North and South America, befriend or do battle with Native Americans, revolt, so on, so forth) or Cold War (play as a small nation beneath the heels of the US and USSR, try and shift control back and forth between them, or even grow into a third superpower).

Any thoughts on those? I'd be happy running either, frankly. Both have some "unfun" aspects (New World would have complex expansion mechanics, Cold War would have a lot of NPCs), but I think the concepts and mechanics would be strong for both.

2. Superpan

Superpan Member

I'd be fine with either of those.

3. JAG

JAG Active Member

Yeah, both of those sound great.

4. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the New World one better, because it sets up more opportunities for expansion.

5. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I've been playing Tropico 4 recently and it has rekindled my interest in a Cold War game. Besides, I learned my lesson during Rule New York. I thought NPCs ruined the game, but Rule New York started to drag towards the end due to limited NPC involvement.

6. Superpan

Superpan Member

Well, my opinion on NPCs is that they're great when they're rather straightforward to beat and aren't given much advantage over the other players. I think the backlash that emerged was when they were given weapons of mass destruction and became more victorious then any of the living players. Limited capacity NPCs like the Nazis are okay me thinks.

7. JAG

JAG Active Member

^ Agreed. Also, the NPCs' resources and such should be visible to players unless there's some plot-related reason to hide them. Knowing how powerful they are is obviously a big factor in deciding how to react to them.

8. The Huntsman

I still like the idea of spies, at least in modern settings. You send spies to NPCs and you're told what their current level of strength is if you're successful, as well as the state of their economy.

9. Jmill

Jmill Person

NPC's are spices. They serve to season and add flavor to something, but you don't want to overseason anything or it'll turn out weird.

That being said, I think a Cold War game would be the better option. Really, a game like that is always in a form of near warfare, and that's going to be exciting. Really, the best part of the game isn't war, but the lead up to war where nations start irritating one another. That's when the back and forth arguing and side taking starts, and basing an entire game on that metric is definitely going to lead to something entertaining.

10. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Funny, Tropico 3 was one of the big inspirations for the Cold War game... well, that and my International Politics course.

Seems like that's the consensus. I'll mull over some gameplay ideas and such - should probably have it running before the end of the month!

11. Superpan

Superpan Member

And we'll all be in a state of MAD so...let's see how long it takes for a nuclear holocaust to occur in this game?

12. JAG

JAG Active Member

So...three and a half hours to go before the end of the month. Any chance that the game will be up before then? :p

If not, do you have an ETA? It's been entirely too long since I've played this game. Rattle Head (formerly known as Superdude) is planning on playing again, too.

13. Superpan

Superpan Member

I'm actually been re-reading old ones and must admit to a state of withdrawl myself. That said, please don't start until I get back Sunday!

14. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Hey there guess who's back from a sudden and inexplicable disappearance!

Alright, so, I don't have anything written up, but, of course, I have the general idea down. Mechanics will be largely based on Rule New York. In fact, let's copypasta right now, eh?

-----

It is 1945. As the dust settles in Tokyo, Rome, and Berlin, the world shudders as a long winter begins to settle. The Axis is decimated. France prepares its recovery. The last nail in the British Empire's coffin has fallen. Across two oceans, the last two superpowers lock eyes.

It's not a world for weakness. Not anymore.

But size isn't everything. The two mightiest men in the world came from humble beginnings, and the nations that grapple for dominance were once vassals of much larger empires. From the ashes of the old world grow the seeds of the new, and for each one in the shadow of empires another will flourish. It's your time: time to...

RULE THE WORLD IX
    THE SUPERPOWERS
    After a long, long wait, we're back and ready for action.

As per usual, we'll be working with Resources and Happiness. Stability has been eliminated. Your Resources, RES, will increase by a fixed number each year, You use RES to purchase items and bolster your chances in warfare. However, there's been a change - you must now INVEST in warfare. More on that later.

Happiness, or HAP; it's how happy your citizens are. With Stability gone, HAP has a far more important role. The lower your HAP drops, the more likely you are to face opposition from within and possibly even lose your position as head of state! You can use various investments to up your HAP, but there is no direct way to transfer HAP into RES or vice versa.

There are three things to do each turn - war, expansion, and investments. You can declare war on anyone for a starting investment of 10 RES. The winner of each battle each turn is decided by twenty-sided die, but you can bolster your number by paying a certain number of resources (paying 8 RES will give you a +8 bonus, for example). Expansion costs only 5 RES, and is how one expands their influence into new areas. Investments have a variety of uses and costs.

Another major part of this edition is the addition of SUPERPOWERS. These are non-playable nations, the United States and the Soviet Union, that are FAR more powerful than any other nation - to begin with, at least. It is in most group's best interest to pick a side, generally done via economic and governmental choices. The better your relationship with a superpower, the more they'll support you. If you grow too powerful, though, they may be less inclined to help... or maybe you'll eclipse them as superpower of your faction!

Here is your basic "character sheet." Post this, and replace all italic portions with your information.

NAME OF NATION
    LEADER: (Name of your nation's leader.)
    ECONOMY: (The economic style of your nation.)
    GOVERNMENT: (The governmental style of your nation.)
    STARTING COUNTRY: (The country your nation begins in.)
    COLOR: (The map color of your nation.)
    INVESTMENTS: (The various investments you purchase.)

RES: (Starts at 0.)
    HAP: (Starts at 50.)

For details on these things...

ECONOMY
    GOVERNMENT
    INVESTMENTS
    THAT is a loose outline.

I think we might need more investments, or more people to look over those investments, or something, I don't know. Thoughts?

15. Superpan

Superpan Member

Great!! I just got back from Model UN and I'm excited to play, especially since I've decided on a more whimsical character style this year!

16. Jmill

Jmill Person

It looks fine to me, too. After all, in the past, most of our investments were war investments and now war is an investment.

Will there be capitols in this game, or are they a thing of the past?

17. JAG

JAG Active Member

Looks good so far, but a few questions:

Can we declare war on anyone, anywhere, or just countries we share a border with? If the latter, a Concentrated Invasion Force is pretty much a must-have. This is obviously going to be a game of long-range intercontinental warfare, so we have to be able to cross oceans and such when neccesary.

Also, does choosing a 'pro-US' or 'pro-Soviet' economy or government type obligate us to support that side and vice-versa? I assume not, but want to be sure.

18. jph139

jph139 Immortal

A) Good point, airdrops and naval invasions seem like obvious choices. I don't want to get into the complexity of navies and air forces but those are basic necessities.

B) No, but you'd generally want a superpower on your side. If you're a capitalist democracy that says "The US is stupid and we hate them!" than the US has no reason to protect you if the Soviets try to take you out, and, of course, vice-versa. But it's definitely possible to remain independent - you can take it easy but give up some autonomy or chart your own course without support.

19. The Huntsman

Borrowing from Tropico...

Ministry Building: In order to help with the governance of your nation, you have decided to appoint ministers to various positions of power. You will receive an additional +1 to both per round happiness and resources, but ministers may "act out" and cause incidents, diplomatic or national in nature.

Perhaps we could also implement an edicts system. These two, for example, would be mutually exclusive.

Martial Law: In order to better defend yourself from rebels and foreign powers, you have declared martial law. Your nation will no longer receive per round happiness bonuses while this edict is active, but negative events will occur less often.

Free Speech: You have faith in your ability as a leader and see no reason to prohibit speech in your nation. You will receive an additional +1 to per round happiness, but your enemies - both internally and abroad - will be able to use the press to slander you, resulting in negative events slightly more often while this edict is active.

May think of more if you believe these are viable. Feel free to tweak them if necessary.

20. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Ministry Building I definitely like, no complaints there, but I could go either way on the Edicts system. Your idea so far is solid, but I feel like to make it worthwhile, there'd need to be a LOT of choices, and I'm not sure we could come up with enough different, equal, and distinct options to make it worthwhile.

If people have ideas, I could see it working. Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough. :p

(And, clearly, time is going to be an issue for me... busy busy for the time being. I'd like to start sooner rather than later, but, well, it's taken me nearly a week to write this one post...)