1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Future Of "Rule The World"

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by The Huntsman, Aug 14, 2010.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I made this thread before but deleted it when nobody replied. However, I think we really should think about what is going to happen with the game after VI is over; it’s not going to end for a while, I know, but it’s best to think about these things while we can. While the game has had some steady evolution with each edition, it really hasn’t changed all that much and the two times that we tried to change things drastically, it didn’t end very well. (Operation Revolution & Rule The World III) Rule The World III’s demise was unfortunate, as people seemed to really like being able to buy instruments of warfare, seeing them on the map, and being able to actively control warfare by choosing where to send them. Its failure was my fault because I didn’t adequately prepare the stats and warfare was completely broken.

There is also the matter of redundancy in using the same maps over and over. I still prefer using a full world map, but since we have used a full world map in four of the games, are people still interested in using that map again? I am toying with an edition of the game heavily inspired by the Tropico series; I am a long way away from making it usable, and frankly may never host the game again, but I am considering it. As you can see on this world map that I would use, the United States and the Soviet Union will be at the height of their power. This means that people will have to pay attention to foreign affairs and try to keep good diplomatic relations with both superpowers, or you could simply kick one in the proverbial nuts and side with the other all of the way.

I also planned on borrowing some other things from Tropico, such as allowing you to choose how you rose to power and having you pick a few merits and flaws that your leader has. You would also be able to issue edicts and laws, but I haven’t really put anything together so far. There would also be elections, meaning that you would have to treat your people well in order to stay in office – or just “encourage” people to vote for you anyway.

But the biggest problem remains warfare. It is the single largest hurdle that prevents me from hosting another game – it’s the reason I didn’t host Rule The World VI in the interim between Johnny’s last game and his current one. I think it’s a good idea to incorporate elements from Rule The World III that everybody seemed to like, but I’m just not sure how to make it practical.

Does anybody have any ideas?

2. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

Well, I don't know a thing about RtW III, lol, but I personally would like the chance to play at least one game in the classic fashion. ;)

One idea I had was a sort of Gang Wars edition, perhaps, in New York City or something like that. Just a thought, granted....

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

I like the idea of dueling. Maybe a medieval times one where we can buy and train different types of soldiers, knights, wizards, and other creatures.

Then you can build an army and decide how many units of a type you want in it. Each class would affect the dice force based on the amount of soldiers and how you implement them in battle.

Besides for a map, we have Europe, and for events, we can have dragons, damsels, and stuff. If you need more elaboration, I can elaborate when I have a few minutes to think about it.

4. The Huntsman

Here is the thread; all you have to do is look at the first post to see how complicated it was. However, it was the first Rule The World to formalize the notion of investments and random events, which went on to become a staple of the series.

I was never as good of a host as Johnny, but my failed attempts to run the game on several occasions did help move it forward.

5. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Yeah, the first five Rule the Worlds (North America, Revolucion, Old World, III, IV) were a bit scattershot - I like to think that Rule the World V was our best game yet, but, y'know, that's just personal opinion.

I was planning on making a thread like this after VI - what have you liked about Rule the World? What have you disliked? Do you want it simpler? More complex? Do you like the Dungeon Master controlled civilizations, or hate them? Do you like complex politics or simple us vs. them?

One thought for the next game would be Colonization of Mars - I'd base it in the same universe as Rule the World V (starting in 2100, 60 years after the finale), though I guess VI is in the same continuity too, you know what I mean. Again, the map would be a problem, but I've always wanted to do a colonial angle on things - less emphasis on claiming places with people and more on expanding into the wilderness.

I really like that Cold War map, though, and that'd open up a lot of possibilities - one things I've always wanted was to prop up puppet states and such, which kinda-sorta works with the Minor Nations I've done, but, still.

But yeah, as the Man Behind the Curtain, I can't speak for the rest of you - so, why are you playing Rule the World? Why do you like it? That sort of thing.

6. Superpan

Superpan Member

I liked Rule the World V, because I got to engage in an epic story with plot twists and turns and fine character acting with quite a few people also giving great performances. I also wished we had more political stuff in our own countries, you know, really get the feel of running a country.

#6 Superpan, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  7. The Huntsman

I’m a huge fan of Civilization, so this game seemed like a natural choice. The few times I hosted the game I tried to incorporate more elements from Civilization. I like building nations, but there usually isn’t much to do with them except kill one another. That’s why I proposed borrowing from Tropico, with elections every decade and being able to pass certain edicts and laws. I also really like the cold war idea, but I’m not going to force that on people if they don’t want it.

8. JAG

JAG Active Member

I definitely like the idea of adding more political and leadership aspects, with elections and laws and so on. And I like the idea of giving our 'subjects' more of a voice and a greater ability to influence our decisions. That can be irritating, when their wants and needs clash with our own, but it certainly adds depth and realism to the game.

As for the proposed storylines, the Cold War and Mars ideas both sound promising. I'd be happy with either of them, but I have to say that I'd prefer the idea of revisiting the mess of a world we wound up with in RTW V. After the nuclear shootout, and with all kinds of tension still hanging over everything, it makes sense that people would just want to leave and start over on a new planet. Most of our characters from that game would be dead by 2100, but some of the countries might still be around. We still have the aliens, as well, and they could play a big role in the colonization process. There are definitely a lot of story possibilities in a game like that.

I'll post my opinions on RTW in general later.

9. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

One thing I'm interested in seeing is a deeper focus on alliances. In most of the RTW games, they've only been used as a handy way to get a warfare bonus - people (O.K., mostly me) were constantly allying briefly to destroy a common enemy and then breaking off when the enemy was gone. Maybe a penalty could be imposed on people who broke off or betrayed their allies, or maybe we could create many different kinds of alliances.

My memories of the other games is hazy, so I have to be vague on what I think worked and what I think didn't. RTWIII was the most fun, but it had some design flaws and I wouldn't wish the task of updating something so complicated on my worst enemy. RTWV was very sound, but the ending was abrubt and unsatisfying (and not just because I died).

10. The Huntsman

I agree. That’s the only thing that bugged me about V. If we had ended once the nazis were defeated, it would have felt more complete, but the game sort of ended suddenly. Lee tricked everybody and stole 2/3rd of the world, and then somehow peace broke out.

11. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Yeah, that's why I wrote the ending as depressing as possible - everyone's a revolutionary or an assassin or a dictator and such. It has more of a "life goes on" feeling than a "the end of an era" feeling.

12. JAG

JAG Active Member

Well, I've always liked strategy games, particularly war-based RTS games such as Age of Mythology or Impossible Creatures. Unfortunately, a slow and unreliable internet connection has prevented me from playing online against other people. Dealing with the primitive, predictable AI enemies gets old pretty quickly. So this game (free, easy for my computer to run, and on a site I know I can trust) was a breath of fresh air.

I honestly can't come up with many things I've disliked about RTW. The unsatisfying endings (we get bored and settle for peace in order to move on to the next game) have been my only real gripe so far.

And I definitely would like to see more complexity and depth added to the game, as stated earlier. The war system of RTWIII was a lot of fun. If the next host can find a way to make something like that workable for future games, that would be great. And I definitely support the political stuff to keep things interesting even in peacetime.

13. Jmill

Jmill Person

I really like the social aspect. If it wasn't for the people who were playing, I bet the game wouldn't be as interesting. The strategy is also a big part, too.

As for dislikes, I can't really think of anything. The endings, maybe. For some of the games, it was form countries, battle for a few weeks, and then end it.

For future games, I like Cold War, but I like Mars Colonization more. Like Jag said, there's a wealth of directions to take that from if it was in the same world as Rule the World V. Adding some political stuff and some more alliance types or depth are also great ideas.

14. Superpan

Superpan Member

Actually speaking as the second largest remaining PC possibly tied with Huntsman in RTWV, I liked the ending. The Freedom Alliance could've beaten them if we worked together and planned, but that all fell apart. That's kind of cool, because it's interesting to watch how the backroom deals and interactions are done.

15. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

This. (Yes, even though half the notable character of RtW VI seem to be mine. That's NOTHING compared to what happened in the Spectacular Spidey RPG we had on tv.com a few years back, when I literally controlled at least 80% of the characters, lol....)

The best element of RtW definitely seems to be the fun we have with story. Without that, it would be nothing.

Colonization of Mars sounds like a cool idea. I STILL want to get into a classic-style RtW sometime, but there's no rush....

As for the politics idea.... depends how it's done. Could either be fun or irritating. We don't want it to be TOO restraining - it seems like part of what people don't like about RtW VI is the limitations on exchanging Faith and Land.

16. Superpan

Superpan Member

Well, that's the best part of politics! There are no rules or ethics!! You can do whatever you want!! :anime:

17. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Oh, yes, I like this too. That's why I've actually enjoyed every RTW game to some degree (even Operation Revolution, which was basically just me incessantly bothering Johnny via AIM).

Incidentally, whatever to the more RPGesque RTW game you were thinking about making, Johnny?

18. JAG

JAG Active Member

A thought: What if we reduce the game's time scale? To clarify, the current system has one real-life day equal a year (or century) in-game. But if we switch to using months instead of years, that could open up more story and gameplay opportunities. For example, we could have seasonal effects that could show up throughout each year. A record-breaking summer heatwave forces Nation A to delay the invasion of Egypt. Terrorists slip bombs into a bunch of Christmas presents, lowering Nation F's morale and resource output for the next few months. Every hurricane season, there's a 50% chance of somebody getting hammered by a huge storm. And so on.

Most of the wars and such should play out in a few months, anyway. Having everything drag out for decades isn't all that realistic.

19. The Huntsman

I think it’s even more noticeable in our current game. We’re gods, yet it took an entire century just to activate our powers or claim a new country, and the wars typically lasted for over a thousand years. At least Johnny went the Civilization route by having time advancement slow down as we become more modern.

20. chdr

chdr Active Member

I had a really big write-up for this, but my computer crashed so here's the Cliff's Notes version of it:

RULE NEW YORK

- After centuries of war, certain areas of the US have been deemed "too chaotic" and walled off from the rest of the world. NYC is one of those areas.
    - Gangs now wage turf wars with each other for neighborhoods.
    - The goal is to rule NYC
    - Everyone starts off with points. You can use these points to buy weaponry (including a boat to cross water, because there are no more bridges), infrastructure, and farmland.
    - The faith system from "Pantheon" stays. High faith gives you random boosts in stats, low faith eventually starts a mutiny and causes you to lose half your land.

The map would be based off of this:

http://www.citidex.com/map/neigh800.gif
    http://www.talkbx.com/forum/gallery/images/1/1_BronxMap.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Brooklyn_neighborhoods_map.png
    http://enterarse.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/map_boundaries2.23784559_std.gif
    http://www.sipindicators.com/images/hood_map.gif
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Hudson_County,_New_Jersey_Municipalities.png