1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of looney tunes on dvd

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by the greenman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been discussed. What exactly are WHV plans for the looney tunes line of dvds. They discontinued the golden collections which are great, but we are left with the solo editions of bugs and daffy. Seems like theyre doing the same thing with the dc dtvs by churning out their flagship characters to the max. Do we know if their just going to go with these two characters, i really miss my faves road runner and coyote, but i dont see them getting a solo collection.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

3. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

4. the greenman

Wow, didnt know those were coming out. These look promising, though foghorn is an odd choice. Bosko looks promising too. Thanx

5. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Didn't know there was a Bosko release planned, nice to know.

6. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

It basically looks like the "marketable, mainstream toons" (like unreleased Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, ect.) will be a part of the Looney Tunes Super Stars line along with DVDs of cartoons previously released on the Golden Collections - but they'll be seperated. Releases will come in pairs: one repeat disc and one of new material, so fans won't have to repurchase the same cartoons over and over.

All the more obscure, collector-y stuff (like Bosko) will be done through the Warner Archive.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Tex Avery set from the Archive.
    :)

7. the greenman

Personally, the bosko toons in the wac is kinda blah. Unless theyve been remastered and they include the color mgm happy harmonies toons, theres no reason to release them. The b&w ones have been in public domain for awhile now, even on dvd.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I really hope that that's not the case. Warner has made it clear a couple of times that the pre-1953 shorts won't be included on any retail DVD's from here on out, there's already a double-dip on the Foghorn release, and it seems very likely that they won't let up on the widescreen cropping any more then they let up on the censorship on Tom and Jerry.

Any non-Golden Collection short should be fair game for the Archive.

9. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

Wait, what? THey discontinued the Golden Collections? But I haven't even bought them yet. I've been waiting forever for them to go on sale as $50 is just way too much.

10. Kirben

Kirben Member

Yes, Amazon is offering the complete Looney Tunes: Golden Collection, Vols. 1-6 for half price at the moment.

11. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

I think that they are discontinued as in Warner's is not making any more "new" sets, but the ones that are out right now will probably be reprinted for a while.

12. Craig Crumpton

Craig Crumpton This is a close-up?

Except for the couple sets I received as gifts, I got all my LT Golden Collections pre-owned for under $25.

Check to see if there's a CD Warehouse, MovieStop, Hastings or FYE's in your area for pre-owned DVDs. There's nearly always at least 1 of the Golden Collections in stock pre-owned at a couple of the CD Warehouse and MovieStop locations I frequent.

13. Abnormal Freak

Abnormal Freak New Member

Woo, thank goodness for Amazon reviews. I didn't know that these Looney Tunes Super Stars DVDs were cropped; I've been thinking about getting the Bugs and Daffy ones for the past few months. Totally gonna avoid this stuff like the plague now... WB's not getting my monetary support for faux-widescreen garbage like this.

Honestly, though, despite my love for Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, I find a great deal of the shorts rather boring. I adore Bob Clampett and Tex Avery, and Chuck Jones has done a lot of really cool cartoons as well. But mostly, of what I've seen, the shorts kind of stink...and it seems like WB aren't too interested in providing much of the far more wacky stuff by Bob and Tex.

14. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

There is a turner 1995 dubbed print for all the Happy Harmonies and they were restored well, since they had the original negatives.