1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by jermainemack, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jermainemack

jermainemack Member

How does anyone remember that when it come on every sunday morning and it's a 60 minute block called The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera and does anyone remember that show when they have Paw Paws, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Jonny Quest, The Snorks, Sky Commanders, The Filntstone Kids, Fantastic Max, Richie Rich, Superted, Paddington Bear, Don Coyote and Sancho Panda, Midnight Patrol, Young Robin Hood, The Pirates of Dark Water, Yo, Yogi!, S.W.A.T. Kats, 2 Stupid Dogs, Skedaddle and HB-TV when they have your favorite music videos with clips of your favorite Hanna-Barbera Cartoons all in this 60 minute block on sunday morning because I remember that show back in 1985 because I hope they add The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera Collection on all 20 DVD's as part of The Hanna-Barbera Golden Collection when the show turns 50 since it debut in 1985 so I hope they will bring it back to DVD!

2. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Don't forget The Jetsons and Dastardly and Muttley, which was a part of the Funtastic World in the final seasons. Well, it was about two hours where I was, with the first season comprised of Yogi and friends in the control room with a fun lineup of comedy (Yogi's Treasure Hunt), music (HB-TV [for those that remembered Disney Channel's DTV segments, this was the Hanna-Barbera equivalent]), comedic action (Paw Paws), more music (HB-TV), and adventure (Galtar and the Golden Lance). Seasons grew, and more shows were added while the HB-TV concept was eradicated. The only time the block got confusing was with the live-action game show Skedaddle, which featured the three sewer-dwelling dinosaurs that were introduced a season before as the host. It was a strange mix of Nickelodeon's Double Dare, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a concept later seen on YTV as Uh Oh! It only lasted one season.

Great concept, lasting almost a decade. Shame cable and newer network blocks like Fox Kids and Kids' WB just killed the draw of syndication in this country.

3. magicjac

magicjac Active Member

Re

I don't really remember "The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera", but I do remember half of them shows. I always loved "Snorks" and "Fantastic Max". Those two were classic:) I used to LOVE the "Snorks" theme song, and I watched "Fantastic Max" as a kid. It was hella cool:D

4. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Those were good times, I loved Galtar and the Golden Lance, do you think it might get put on DVD and what about SWAT KATS?

5. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

Which Snorks theme song? The syndicated "Swim along with the Snorks..." song or the original piece, which had a rather lengthy introduction about a 16th century sailor's journal entry commenting about spotting snorks, leading into the "Snork along...snork a happy song!" music piece?

Just on the topic, I remember FWoHB. I most fondly remember Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Don Coyote, and Midnight Patrol.

A.Magik

6. magicjac

magicjac Active Member

Re

I never heard the original theme with the 16th century sailor bit, but I LOVED "Come along with the snorks, swim along with the snorks". That is definitely one of my absolute favorite theme songs EVER! LOL I wish I had Boomerang. I would love to see "Snorks" again.

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

My earliest memory of TV at all is this block. I remember those Paw Paws being freaky..."how'd his horse FLY??"

8. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Well, the season 1 lineup in 1985 was The Challenge Of The Gobots, The Jetsons, The Paw Paws Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Galtar And The Golden Lance, & HBTV.

The 1986 season 2 lineup was The Jetsons, The Challenge Of The Gobots, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, HBTV, The Paw Paws, Galtar And The Golden Lance, The Flintstone Kids, And The New Adventures Of Jonny Quest A.K.A. Jonny Quest season 2.

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

The lineup was actually 90 minutes on Sundays where I live, and the Jetsons was packaged separately from Funtastic World. H-B TV was used in much the same way they used Schoolhouse Rock or In the News back then.

FWIW, the Funtastic World theme was sung by----Jon Bauman, aka Bowzer, formerly of Sha Na Na, who was also working at VH1 at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jean74

Jean74 Summer is Here!

Really the Jetsons kind of predicted the future. Way ahead of it's time!

11. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

True, but both The Gobots & The Jetsons was a big part of The Funtastic World's first 2 seasons.

& BTW Jon sung the theme to Yogi's Treasure Hunt not The Funtastic World.

12. hobbyfan

Wrong on both counts. Challenge of the Gobots was never part of Funtastic World, and, for that matter, now that I think of it, neither was the Jetsons revival. Both were marketed separately. What might've been happening in your area, Vaughn, was that the station that held the rights to all of them decided to consolidate and run them together on the weekends due to lack of available space on weekdays.

And if you don't believe me regarding Jon Bauman's theme song, check the Funtastic World Wikipedia page.

13. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Hobbyfan have you gon' drunk? Jon sung the theme to Yogi's Treasure Hunt & Challenge Of The Gobots as well The Jetsons were a mighty part of The Funtastic World for the first 2 seasons, don't forget The Funtastic World was not on Sundays but also on weekdays & saturdays too.

14. hobbyfan

As I said, it depended on the affiliates in different cities.

Also, the Funtastic World & Yogi's Treasure Hunt themes are the same song, so you've got 1 point. As for ol' Bowzer doing the GoBots' theme? Nope.

15. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I don't think Vaughn B. was referring to Bowser singing theme to GoBots, but rather GoBots being part of the Funtastic World lineup. While I side with you about GoBots not being part of the Funtastic World lineup, I'm wouldn't be surprised if most regions who aired The Funtastic World on Sundays also aired GoBots and The Jetsons on weekdays (as I do remember all of those programs airing on the same channel in the DC region).

16. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

DISCLAIMER: BORDERLINE OLD MAN POST
    "TFWOHB"? I remember it well. I was 17 yo when the block began and 27 yo when it ended. It first aired on Sundays
    on then KBHK-TV. "TJ" aired weekday afternoons there, too, while "COTG" aired weekday afternoons on KTVU.
    As time went by, "TFWOHB" moved from KBHK to KOFY-TV. Every series I experienced as part of that block, I
    remember.

17. Vaughn B.

Vaughn B. Member

Well there's a difference between the weekday version of Funtastic World & the weekend version of Funtastic World.

18. hobbyfan

That's the way it worked in the Albany NY market. The current Fox affiliate had the rights to the whole crew, but at the time they had room where they could go with just a 90 minute Sunday block and air Gobots & Jetsons on weekdays.

FWIW, some stations, such as WPIX & WSBK, would run Gobots at the same time---and this happened to the Disney shows, too---but there would be a difference of a few seconds between the two. Never figured it out.

19. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Not a good idea; there's vandalism. Not just the shows, the other host was not Jennifer Love Hewitt, it was some other girl.

20. hobbyfan

"Vandalism" being that some idiots posted some incorrect information without double-checking. I saw that reference to JLH, which would've been before Party of Five made her a star, and wondered who would be stupid enough to do that.