The FUNimation Channel Thread

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by jlaking, Feb 3, 2011.

1. jlaking

jlaking Brainiac is someplace

According to its online schedule, Black Butler and Phantom: Requiem For the Phantom will debut February 8th on the FUNimation Channel.

Black Butler (TV-14) starts at 9 pm and Phantom: Requiem For the Phantom (TV-MA) at 9:30 pm. Re-airings will be on throughout the week.

2. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

I actually saw how the bumps looked like on the channel on YouTUbe.

Let's just say the music sounded Adult Swim-esque.

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

They are very Adult Swim-esque specifically similar to the bumpers AS used to run around anime and I'm sure that was intentional.

Black Butler and Phantom already?

I'm starting to think FUNi has given up on getting anything else on other networks.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

Well, Chrono Crusade on SyFy. Really though, what other network would pick up Black Butler as-is? It's all right, but based on two episodes I wouldn't call it an action show by any stretch.

5. Sketch

I dunno seems like something AS would have picked up around the days when they got Trinity Blood, Blood+ and Death Note.

Black Butler could have worked for Syfy as well.

These aren't the best examples but rather the continuing trend. Soul Eater, Eden of the East, Baccano, Darker than Black, D.Gray-Man, Kenichi and several other shows that have been or are now airing on FUNimation Channel all had potential on the various channels that air uncut Japanese cartoons here.

For all we know SGT Frog and One Piece might be next.

6. Mohji

Mohji Member

Funimation has actually hinted at adding One Piece to their linear schedule. They already have it on their on-demand service.

7. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

They said on their Facebook page they're trying to get "One Piece" back on T.V., so yeah they've hinted.

I think it's just a matter of the times, that it's harder to get anime on T.V.
    Good thing FUNimation starte their own channel that'll hopefully get into a lot more homes to make up for all the anime that's not on Cartoon Network.

8. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

I should be surprised that Phantom found no takers, but in reality, I'm not. I'm sure all networks balked the moment they found out

It's the most exciting Bee Train show ever made (not a hard thing to do but still) and as someone who has the first 13 episodes (and saw the whole thing subbed anyway) I can safely say it's incredibly intriguing and has a stellar dub that keeps the profanity to a minimum (a sure sign that FUNi did try to market it).

Zwei and Ein sound a little raw in the first two episodes (especially Ein, you get the feeling the actress is forcing her voice to be at her pitch), but after that the relative newcomer VAs grow into their roles nicely. I will give them credit for casting an African-American for Lizzie. Kent Williams is smarmy as hell as Scythe Master, J. Michael Tatum sounds nothing like his other roles as McGuire and Colleen Clinkenbeard gives off an eerie Laura Bailey-as-Lust vibe as Claudia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  9. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

I don't if I should mentioned this here but "Sgt. Frog" is now on FUNimation's On Demand service.

10. Muthablood Pucka

Muthablood Pucka I no longer exist...

Thats good. The problem is its in that premium section where you gotta pay.:mad:
    Thats the problem with On Demand Service! you gotta pay for almost everything and I can't afford the money for the Sgt Frog DVD :mad:...the Hub or Cartoon Network better air the show soon mostly because Toonzaki.com is acting slow for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  11. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

Ah ha ha . . . remember when I said the profanity was kept to a minimum in Phantom? Yeah, it doesn't stay that way. At episode 10 FUNi's penchant for serious profanity rears its ugly head and the swearing is prolific from there. I guess that was when they gave up on selling it to a TV network. The switch is actually a bit jarring, and personally, I felt the show's atmosphere was better when the characters weren't swearing that much.

On the bright side, Brittney Karbowski has the younger Cal nailed. Hopefully she can get the older Cal down, though, I can't quite picture Karbowski behind the vocal cords of . . . someone who looks like older Cal.

12. jlaking

Birdy the Mighty debuts March 2nd on the FUNimation Channel

According to its online schedule, Birdy the Mighty: Decode will debut March 2nd on the FUNimation Channel.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode (TV-MA) starts at 9 pm with re-airings will be on throughout the week.

13. Sketch

It's getting to the point where if you had The FUNimation Channel you'd probably never have to buy another FUNimation DVD with the exceptions of their 100+ episode series and some of the majority of their rescues.

Ironically it's those very series that probably need a TV home more.

I know that's an exaggeration but most of their first hand licensed anime that have recently come out on DVD are already on The FUNimation Channel and Birdy Decode adds another.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

Decided to merge the most recent topics and make em a general thread for the FUNImation Channel, so schedule changes & related talk can go in one place instead of many. Carry on!

15. Kaveh77

Kaveh77 New Member

So what are the chances of us Directv people getting this channel :sad: Im sure it'd be a great addition now that G4 is gone and they love bragging about how they have the most HD channels

16. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Geese man One Piece is on the channel? How the heck can I get this?

17. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

When did anyone say this?

18. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Well said it was on demand and they were trying to get it on the Network :)

19. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Hmmm.. interesting selection of new shows. I want my Funi-TV!:D

20. jlaking

I'll be changing the first post for this thread soon to reflect the merge of recent threads.

Anyways, on to the UPDATE.

From the FUNi Blog: