1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 12, 2006.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

So, Mars, any chance of seeing articles that mention Matt Groening being from Portland, Bruce Campbell currently living in Oregon, or the fact that both Dark Horse Comics (the world's best comic book company, at least IMHO) and Oni Press (the first comic book company to let Kevin Smith write comics, feature Jay & Silent Bob in comics form, let Paul Dini do something in comics not related to DC IIRC, publish stories with Jingle Belle and Sheriff Ida Red, and published the masterpiece of sequential art that is Scott Pilgrim) are located in Portland?

2. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

My mom found these little packets from 1967 about the top 50 requested songs from "91 KISN". Apparently it was on 91 before it moved to 97.1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what section of Portland history you can put this in, though.

3. Chris

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

5. KE7JFF

KE7JFF Member

6. Chris

See if you can get channel 17.1 (KWVT) now. They put up a Portland transmitter so you might be able to watch it. It might make for a good article, seeing its schedule doesn't have any desirable shows on it! (By the way, the obligatory mention of updating the videos section of FPO is needed, seeing as it was last updated last year at this time.)

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No, it's not coming in.

8. KE7JFF

KE7JFF Member

Yeah, KWVT now has a transmitter for Portland at the old KPDX 49 transmitter site in the West Hills. I can pull it in great here; and enjoy watching classics like the A-Team and Emergency! on RTV, one of their subchannels.

KVWT though on their main channel, 17.1, actually is a pretty cool local television station with loads of local programming. They are down in Salem.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I can't get it no matter how hard I try. It's finally coming in somewhere, but only on the living room TV, which I almost never have private access to. In my bedroom I can't get so much as a blip.

But in the living room, KVWT is coming in on channel 17.2 and RTV is on 27.2. Is it like that for you?

in other broadcast discoveries, Watch TV has dropped the Home Shopping Channel for a military-themed thing called "The Pentagon Channel." All armed forces, all the time. They're running an aerobics show right now called "FIT FOR DUTY!"

There's also Channel 46.1 that shows nothing but the KGW Doppler radar. What is the point of that? Waste of money.

10. Chris

For me, it's KWVT on 17.1. I don't know why it would be on 17.2 for you.

11. KE7JFF

KE7JFF Member

I typo'd the channel numbers, but I remember there was a technical discussion from the owner on another forum about why the virtual channel numbers were different.

"Now to a point of discussion about 17.2, 27.2 & 37.2 with no dot 1. Well the reason is that in the overlap area between RF channel 27 & RF channel 49, 90% of the TV's see two 17.1 if we just pass though 17.1. The remaining 10% the chip set will display one 17.1 and then show a 49.3 (KWVT is on program stream 3) for the second version NOT GOOD. So we were forced to change the PSIP to show dot 2 on RF channel 49."

I've been on watching the main channel of KWVT on and off; its interesting. It reminds of me more of the quality of programming found on Rogers Cable's "Community Channels" which is the Canadian equivalent of Public Access up north; which has everything you can imagine. Can't be that bad since thats where Tom Green got his start...

12. ClassicTVMan1981

That Union 76 sphere interests me. That logo was all new for 1967, and still exists in its current form more or less (a new shade of red being obvious). I would like to know if you have any old TV ads with this logo.

~Ben

13. Chris

No, I don't. I'm sorry. The earliest tape I have is from 1983, and even they don't have any 76 ads on them.

14. carlaspirit

carlaspirit I'm coming home

15. Chris

Methinks it's about time for your annual update to the videos section! There MUST be some more cool local commercials from 1981. You said you have tons of tapes from that year. I wish I did.

16. Chris

Also, it's the Timbers' first MLS game today. I'll be taping the 10pm newscast on FOX if you're interested in it.

17. Chris

Hey Mars, can you get the following TV channels?
    16 KORS
    34 KKEI (might be worth interest, the owners are WatchTV)
    35 KORK

just wondering.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No......and I think you're looking at an outdated list because KORS was where Bohemia Visual Music was located. Obviously, nothing's there anymore.

19. Chris

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I now know who's responsible for Bohemia, as he just E-mailed me (and it's not Lastra). He attached some pictures and graphs, too, most interesting were a couple shots of the warehouse where every video the channel has is kept on Betamax (yes, that's correct). He also mentioned the channel is coming back elsewhere. He somehow got a 3-year contract to air BVM on a subchannel in LA. It just won't stay dead!

Speaking of LA, from Kotaku:

WTF -- Lisa Foiles was here the entire time? She hid very well. No one knew that. NO ONE!