1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I've neglected the site for a long time because I've been occupied with other things. I can't tell you when I'll update it next, but for those who still check it, I should really put a link to my regular site there, if they haven't yet figured out I make that too.

2. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

3. Chris

4. Chris

I was skimming the site and found that *gasp* I didn't find any footage of the whale blowing up! That has to be the most famous moment of Oregon TV news history. You don't have it? I don't blame you, neither do I.

5. Chris

The Greek Cuisina octopus is coming down today at 8am. I'm taping it just in case Martian wants it, but I'm wondering just how iconic it really is, and why a Greek restaurant has a giant octopus on top of it in the first place.

6. Chris

By the way, in case you're wondering, there is no footage of the Greek Cuisina octopus coming down. They waited and I wonder if it's still there. Perhaps martian can go down there and see for himself? Also, it's been a year now since the videos section has been updated (it will be Feb. 14, I know I remembered last time the videos section has been updated. I have no life whatsoever. ;) Is there any goodness from 1981 left in your parent's VHS stash? And also, while skimming YouTube, i found this: A whole bunch of KGW promos from 1977. Just thought it was interesting.

7. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

9. Chris

I got an interesting thing at the flea market today: A vinyl record about the Blazers' 1976-77 championship win. I have yet to play it so I don't know exactly what's on the record, but on the cover, it says something that I found in your videos section: "Equitable Savings is People". So it looks as though they were using that motto before 1981. Also, I want more FPO videos, and if you don't have any more, I have plenty to give you.

10. Chris

Hey! I just got a record player that converts records to MP3. Do you want me to go ahead and take the Blazermania record for a spin? Would you have a way to put MP3s on your FPO website?

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

As demonstrated by the Oregonian radio ads, I can certainly do that. Go right ahead!

12. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

13. Chris

Question: How do people get their hands on stuff like this:
    KGW TV idents from the '70s
    I was debating whether to put this here or the YouTube topic.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

One thing on my to-do list is to start finding things like this and asking the original posters if they'd allow the videos to be archived on FPO. Many of them would probably have no problem with if if I asked first. So yeah, if you find a Portland-centric interesting video, be sure to let me know here.

15. Chris

There's been a change in the Portland-area Digital TV lineup. Apparently Estrella moved to channel 8.3. What's on 8.2 now is KGW 24/7, which is basically an all-the-time news channel, like a NWCN exclusively for the Portland area. If you have Comcast in the Portland area, it's on channel 308.

16. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

For the last three months, Channel 8 has had Estella running on both 8.2 AND 8.3. It's about time they quit wasting air.

FPO was going to be updated tonight, but it looks like I'm not going to make it in time. Check back tomorrow.

17. Chris

I found a KATU weather report from 1979 on YouTube. You can see it here.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

19. Chris

Where did you get the Bugs Bunny cartoon opening from 1979? If it's from one of your tapes, why not add more stuff from it? I'd love to see that.

20. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

I dunno, the Gawker has a point about some of the crazy stuff Portlanders get up in arms over. Granted, I've spent the bulk of my time here going to school down in the Pearl amongst somewhat millitant hipsters, and other people of strange habits, so from that angle it isn't inaccurate per-se, just a little one sided. But talking about SANE people is never interesting, is it? :p