1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Wow. Just wow. Blazers win on last-0.9 second three pointer from Damian Lillard.

2. ClassicTVMan1981

That was a close one, wasn't it?

~Ben

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I'm gonna faint. I care far more about the NBC programs these pre-emptions block me from watching, and my chances of ever seeing Believe air here within a month were riding on that game. That's gotta be the most stressful thing I've ever watched.

By the way, did you miss Grimm? The latest episode aired at 2:07 AM so you probably did. Curse KGW.

4. Chris

Well, the NBC preemptions are over. All further games will be national broadcasts.

5. Chris

You ARE boiling your tap water, right, Pete?

6. Chris

Time to plug in my TV antenna. 22.4-22.6 are now TV shopping channels, while 22.7 is Telemundo. How weird. And Pete, TV listings are back on TV since the Prevue Guide left. Check out channel 17.3.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Huh, that's nutty. Not very useful to Portlanders since the schedule is for Salem. It also scrolls in a weird way (instead of scrolling, the schedule grid appears in chunks, with the subchannels rotating instead).

The only way I can see it is with my computer's TV antenna. For some reason no proper TV in the house can pick up KWVT and all that has to do with it.

8. KE7JFF

KE7JFF Member

KWVT is based in Salem so thats why you have the Salem-centric listings on their channel. A matter of fact, I think their history can be traced to what used to be on 22...

9. Chris

It has stuff from Eugene that I can't get also.
    I have a request. The McLoughlin Auto mall ads where Robin Lopez and LaMarcus Aldridge actually sing "McLoughlin, oooooh".

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I might have those, but....why would anyone want to see them again? That's the worst ad to ever air around here in a long time. It essentially killed their new ad campaign and they had to introduce an even newer one this week.

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Suddenly, a new subchannel on KATU. 2.3, "GET TV." It's so new it isn't part of the local listings online yet. I don't know what its point is but today's schedule is all old movies.

Are they trying to form a sentence with these names? "Me Get This" would be amusing on a listing grid.

12. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

It's a new digital network operated by Sony, showing their old movies (they must have a lot, considering that Antenna TV and the little-known Sony Movie Channel, which is on DBS and FiOS, already show their movies); it's carried on Univision stations, and recently came to a deal with Sinclair, the guys who acquired Fisher and KATU, to carry it on their stations. (I would suggest Peter, that you start watching KOIN, given how Sinclair has a large, pro-conservative agenda and will likely push it on KATU, if they haven't done so already; this and their habit of buying everything they can get their hands on (through shell companies and such) has not endeared them to the broadcast industry, and yet the FCC continues to let them go.)

13. Chris

More like the whole state, but Vic Atiyeh died yesterday.
    And apparently channel 8 KGW is going to get a new look. I see their "new look coming soon" ads every day at the noon news.

14. Vance M.

Vance M. Vance M.

I do have a question, is there any Analog TV stations over in Portland and/or Selma? I actually found a Analog TV station in my area, which is totally weird.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The KWVT channels are coming in once again, which means I now get a total of 41 channels (counting subchannels) in the area. That's a pretty decent count for free.

Channel 5 (a repeat of Channel 32) stayed on in Portland until this year. I do not know the reason why.

16. Chris

Really? I didn't know that.
    Also, it's "Salem", not "Selma".

17. Vance M.

Vance M. Vance M.

The analog channel near my area is called WMTY- TV 45. It is a analog station (The only place i got it from was from my Great-Grandmothers place, as of writing this) and shows Gospel programing. Very strange indeed.

18. Vance M.

Vance M. Vance M.

Also heres its website, so if you want to see what weird stuff is on. http://www.wmty.net (It is also in another area of Alabama)

19. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

The new look and logo of KGW's (which replaced the "8" logo that dated to 1995, as part of TV graphics guru John Christopher Burns' makeover of the station) is part of Gannett's, who acquired Belo and the KING cluster last year (though technically KGW is owned by a former Belo exec and is operated by Gannett, due to Gannett already owning the Statesman Journal, per FCC rules that you can't own a newspaper and TV station in the same market, which is kinda pointless), standardized graphics package, with stories color-themed like USA Today, developed at their Denver station, KUSA, and the Gari Media Group-composed music package This is Home, which also serves as a locally-customized promo as part of the look (another Gannett station, WKYC in Cleveland, did a version celebrating LeBron James' return to Cleveland). KING and NWCN have already adopted the look, as well as WWL in New Orleans, another ex-Belo station; KREM Spokane and KTVB Boise are likely preparing for it. A new website, also Gannett standard, is also on the way for KGW and the other ex-Belo stations (KHOU in Houston got it today). KING did a similar "squeegee off the old graphics" promo, with their lead anchor Jean Enersen.

#299 TheMisterFree, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the next season of Portlandia will have a scene at Franklin High School.

I passed it on my daily jog and noticed three strange trailers: one with two retro cartoon girls on it and the words "Myrtle and Mod" in sixties type-font, one that had a door like you'd find in an actual house, with similar furnishings inside, and one traditional iron trailer with a small Portlandia logo on it and a guy inside reading through a script. Of course there was security so I couldn't look any closer than that.