1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ClassicTVMan1981

[video=youtube;WOyMQ8fkw2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOyMQ8fkw2U[/video]

If you watch this first part of "On the Spot" (a KGW 8 game show, locally produced), then you can spot the Izzy's Pizza ad (and its original bouncy, rag-timey jingle) among the commercials in the breaks.

~Ben

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

All right....well. Right now there is still no universal solution for a third-party video format that'll work in all browsers. This is the big hang-up that is preventing me from making over the FPO website or adding any new content.

It's come to a point where I really need a placeholder solution. YouTube works in all browsers, SO......introducing the For Portlanders Only YouTube channel!

Over the next few months the videos from the site will be added to it as they are found and I can make better-quality versions. The first video I've uploaded, here, is a low-key one I figured Chris would be interested in at least.
    [video=youtube;j25fTsMmVo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25fTsMmVo0[/video]
    For a time, a digital subchannel existed on KGW that mostly replayed news from a couple hours earlier, syndicated talk shows, the occasional cheap movie, or if you got lucky, you caught them at an hour where they had nothing to show but raw footage of their cameras. An example of that footage is shown here.

See if you can spot the mistake in the onscreen text crawl. Shouldn't be hard.

3. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I actually have an example of the subchannel in its infancy. I think it's like a half-hour of their cameras at about 4 in the morning or something. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. As for the mistake, is it the HTML showing at about the 2:30 mark?

4. Chris

Smith's showed movies on KPDX.
    [video=youtube;hosi3BxO6uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hosi3BxO6uk[/video]

5. Chris

I have figured out a way to show movies on your website. I surfed the internet and found a piece of code that I used in this website:
    My You-Tube Poop
    You can click on a video and see the source code for it.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, it doesn't work for me. I just get a gray square that says "A plug-in is needed to display this content," but there's no link to what plug-in that is.

Have you tested it on mobile devices AND PCs?

7. Chris

I can't test it on a mobile device because I don't have one. Are you using Firefox? If so, you'll need the plug-in. I'll see if I can find it again and link to it.

8. Chris

9. Chris

How about this weather? Cold enough? lol.
    [video=youtube_share;AmBzPTdL5Nk]http://youtu.be/AmBzPTdL5Nk[/video]

10. Chris

Just wondering if Pete or anyone else in Portland can get channel 26. It's a local Christian channel. It's channel 36 in Salem.

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I've been able to get that for a while now. The reception is terrible, and I don't mean the digital reception. I mean it's entirely the channel's fault. There is analog noise over the video constantly.

I can't seem to get KWVT anymore though. No TV in the house can.

12. Chris

I'll get out my antenna and see if channel 36 is any better this weekend.

13. chipperzed

chipperzed Guest

Hey all! I'm a newbie here and was looking for an old Izzy's pizza commercial from the 80's like the one you posted. However this one actually has my family in it.
    It is a bit shorter than other commercials and shows Izzy's food followed by a family of 4 smiling and being served around a table. I know it was shot in the McMinnville Izzys so it may reference that location.

Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note: awesome thread!

14. Chris

Have you tried 17.2? That's what the KWVT website has listed for Portland. I have no idea what is on 17.1 in the Portland area, though.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yes, and it doesn't work.

16. Chris

Do you still have your tapes from 1979? I'd love to see what are on them besides the stuff you've uploaded.

17. Chris

By the way, I tuned in to 17.3 just to see if there was anything on it. What did I find here?
    [video=youtube;o9nvlHIeA_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9nvlHIeA_o[/video]

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Wow, a bonafide TV schedule channel in this millennium! Now I wish it would come in.

19. Chris

I have a few TV channel related questions. What are KORS (channel 16) and KORK (channel 35)? Perhaps they are KWVT affiliates?

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You're looking at a dated schedule again. KORS is dead. That was the WatchTV channel. It mainly carried HSN, which is now on another subchannel.

There is no KORK; I don't know what that is.