1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Flash" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Bat-Fan Beyond, Oct 12, 2010.

1. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Superman is in the Supergirl universe. So that clearly counts. Bruce Wayne, Alfred, and Gordon are on TV as well. There's clearly only a limited embargo going on and that has forced more creativity and broader characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only reason I can think of is that Flash is exempt from the embargo's most of the other DCTVU shows (particularly Arrow) have to deal with by virtue of its successes and because it was in production before anyone had a clear idea what to do with The Flash movie. It also helps that we don't really know that much about what will, or won't, be in the movie.

Even when Harley made her Arrow cameo, the creators had to really work to fit it into the show, and she was completely off-limits for season 3 once the movie was announced. Next thing you know, the Suicide Squad get gutted and most of the characters also appearing in the movie end up hightailing it to somewhere else. Flash was just lucky that it took off when it did, from what I can tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #22 Frontier, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This feels similar to putting Jon Watts on Spider-Man...

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I have to agree, this is very risky. Have these producers not learned from what just happened this Summer with 'Fant4stic'? This smells bad to me, it feels like these Studios just want to hire a body and interfere (bully) as they see fit. They don't want to hire someone who will have a creative vision or cost them alot of money to hire either. Wan on Aquaman probably cost WB a whole lot of moola.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. I dunno how to feel. I have faith that he's a good writer, but as a first time director, can he handle the visuals? Flash's super speed will be an important part, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the greenman

I learned from a vfx magazine, alot of these directors go to like a vfx "boot camp". So they get hands on experience for a month or two before preproduction. Though they of course work with a team. Oh yeah, and it would help if they have some talent too.

8. reflection01

We've seen three recent prominent examples of super speed in film and TV. I have no doubt this film will do it well.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but were those three examples helmed by veteran directors? I'm pretty sure one of the ones you're referring to is MoS, and love or hate Snyder, he's proven that he has some wonderful visuals.

10. reflection01

I was referring to The Flash, Days of Future Past, and Age of Ultron.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Accurately portraying Flash's super-speed is the thing I'm least worried about for this movie ;).

12. the greenman

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

10/9/15: Huh, interesting...so long as the suit looks good and looks like The Flash, I'll probably be happy with it :).

1/20/16:

If there's one thing I'll give Ezra Miller, he seems enthusiastic about the role ;).

I'm not sure how to feel about the suit, judging by the concept art. I get what they're going for with the lightning chest emblem, but I don't see why they couldn't have just gone with the classic white emblem, especially when the show has finally incorporated it. And I can't even tell if the lightning ears are on the mask o_O.

And the fingerless gloves seem kind of random :p.

Also, while I'm not surprised they're going with the dead mom angle given Johns has a hand in the movies, I wonder how they're going to play it out compared to the show, given it was a whole big arc for the first season. It's not like there should be much mystery at this point as to who killed Barry's mom for quite a few people :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    #33 Frontier, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

This Flash needs to be Wally West based on Miller's age.

15. the greenman

Apparently, there was talk of "Crisis On Infinite Earths" involving the two Flashes on the CW special, but they cut it out before airing:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/kevin-smith-reveals-dc-multiverse-180137967.html

I really do think DC is planning that, and next to Avengers and Batman v Superman, this could be THE absolute biggest comicbook film event EVER. Can you imagine them killing off Supergirl in a film? Smith is right, Crisis and the multiverse is the single best known DC comicbook they ever did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a relief to hear from Johns the door is open to it happening.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think, obviously, the logistics of doing something like that would be difficulty (especially when the DCEU is only now starting to get going), but to see them pull it off would be pretty amazing :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. reflection01

The easy thing to do would be to put out the Crisis film in late April or early May and end the seasons of The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl with a Crisis arc that has a cliffhanger going into the next Crisis film in August. The next seasons of the shows would cover the aftermath.

The MCU provided a blueprint with Winter Soldier and AOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Apparently our first real look at The Flash costume:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Rumor mill spinning on five characters: Iris West, Len Snart/Captain Cold, Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash, Fred Chyre and Jay Garrick
    Hope that's not how they're really conceptualizing Snart...

• Informative Informative x 1