1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Flash (2014)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 6, 2015.

1. webmonkey44

webmonkey44 Member

so basically confusion ensues. the flash is at risk of making a messy messy universe resembling the canon of doctor who unless they avoid stacking too many odd comicslike obscure backstory stacking. and they better avoid abusing time travel too much because the time travel in the arrowverse is already stripping consistent canon of its solidity.

2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

The fact that Caitlin couldn't find a Jay Garrick on Earth-1 is a pretty strong hint that there isn't an Earth-2 Jay Garrick. Follow that with Zoom's "you wouldn't believe it" line suggesting the obvious answer (the real Jay) probably isn't true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the idea that the Man in the Iron Mask is the real Jay Garrick is the reason Zolomon assumed they wouldn't believe it.

Coming from the guy who used that name and masqueraded as a hero using it, to the point where they still regard him as "Jay Garrick," the idea that there was another Jay Garrick who he's been impersonating this entire time might come off as unbelievable.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Back to Normal" April 26, 2016

A case of mistaken identity! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Back to Normal"
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    A meta-human with super strength named Griffin Grey mistakes Harry for Earth-1 Harrison Wells and kidnaps him, demanding that Wells cure him from his current condition.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Griffin Grey was introduced in the comics 10 years ago, but his ties to the Flash have nothing to do with Barry Allen, of course, but with Bart, the former Impulse in the comics. Even more interesting is the fact that Danny Bilson & Paul DeMeo, the guys behind the 1990 Flash series, were the ones who created Griffin, who was briefly a hero before turning villain. And, oh, yeah, Jay Garrick was a player in their book.

Seems that Zoom's love for Caitlin may be his biggest weakness. Hated to see Killer Frost killed off in her return, but as we know, Berlanti and co. have little regard for traditional canon, so it merits a meh. Griffin's death scene made me think of "Benjamin Button" for some reason, though I think that Brad Pitt movie was a couple of years after Griffin's story ended in the books.

Oh, and attempting to recreate the particle accelerator explosion (next week)? Scratch your head and wonder about that one, effendi.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So...The Flash stole peoples coffee's? Not very heroic Barry o_O

Poor Griffin Grey. He was just a kid who wanted to save himself and go back to the life he once had, but there was nothing anybody could do to help him. I kinda wish Team Flash had made more of an effort to help him, but if Harry couldn't come up with a solution there probably wasn't anything they could've done. Though it was tragically ironic that he reverted back to his actual age after he died (at least that's what I thought happened) :(.

It was cool seeing Jessie take an active role on Team Flash and demonstrate more of her (improbable) smarts, and basically take over for Caitlin while she's been kidnapped, and it was nice to get some resolution between her and her Dad. We also get some more insight into why Wells is so unrelenting and committed to protecting Jessie at any cost, as a result of losing his wife, and his committing to being a better person and fixing the mistakes he made on Earth-2 by helping Team Flash :cool:.

We finally have Wally idolizing The Flash, after all the times Barry has saved his life, and promising to use the chance The Flash gave him to be a better person and live up to Barry's heroism. Similar to how Roy started changing his life around after Ollie saved him in Season One of Arrow. Seeing Wally be so excited and anxious about meeting The Flash was great :).

Now all we need is for him to learn who The Flash really is, get his speed, and then we'll finally have Kid Flash and Barry will finally have his sidekick :D.

I guess Wally is going to just use "Dad" and "Joe" interchangeably now? You'd think he'd just stick with Dad now :shrug:...

So Zoom kept Killer Frost alive because he wanted a reminder of Caitlin around in his evil lair. It was really interesting to see the two Caitlin's finally interact and learn how similar and different they are and how different their lives on their respective Earth's is. And it was funny seeing Frost criticize her counterparts fashion sense and for not exposing her cleavage :p.

RIP Killer Frost. You may have been evil, but you were a fun villain, and Caitlin Panabaker always seemed to have a blast playing you ;).

Holy crud, did Zoom vibrate through Caitlin's body? And without hurting her? Has Barry ever been able to do that? Now I'm wondering what other amazing feats he can pull off with his boosted speed :eek:.

So they're going to use another Particle Accelerator Explosion to give Barry back his speed? I'm definitely eager to see how that turns out, and what all it will result in. We might see even more Metahumans popping up across The Arrowverse, and it's probably going to be the catalyst for Wally (and possibly Jessie) getting their speed :anime:.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hobbyfan

Now that I think of it, recreating the explosion will result in Wally & Jessie becoming speedsters. You can almost make book on it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Rupture" May 3, 2016

Danger! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Rupture"
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Zoom arrives back on Earth-1 intent on taking over Central City. Barry and Wells come up with a plan to stop Zoom once and for all but it’s extremely dangerous.

9. hobbyfan

Rupture ends up another done-in-one. Barry's sent off to another dimension (or alternate earth), and, as I suspected, Wally & Jessie get caught in the explosion, so they'll gain powers as a result.

If taking Barry's speed was supposed to save Zoom from dying, why is his lightning still blue? Answer: He's used it up already. That's about all I can figure.

First hints of Barry & Iris finally realizing they're meant to be. At least Iris sees it. We'll know before the season ends in 3 weeks if Barry really does.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So if Henry's mom's maiden name was "Garrick," could that mean on Earth-2 she kept her name or the Garrick family eventually had an offspring named Jay? So the real Jay Garrick could possibly be related to Barry, at least in some sense o_O?

Why is it so hard for the cast to differentiate a fake name a villain used with their real identities, especially after they've learned said real names? Is it too much to ask for them to call Zoom Hunter or Zolomon instead of Jay? They know by now that he's not Jay Garrick. I can just imagine the real Jay being as frustrated whenever they talk about Zoom as Harry is whenever they bring up Thawne :rolleyes:.

It was really nice having Henry back, and it was neat seeing all of Barry's mentor/father figures in the same room together and arguing over what was best for him. Though I wonder, with the Garrick mystery, what that might mean for Henry going forward? Would John Wesley Shipp be more willing to wear the Jay Garrick costume compared to his original Flash suit ;)?

You can really tell their setting up Wally to become a Superhero after being inspired by The Flash now that he's wondering what he wants to do in his life and wants to help people like his Dad and The Flash. Now that he might have his powers, the next step is a costume, becoming Kid Flash, and becoming Barry's partner :D.

We finally get an explanation for why most of the Arrowverse Metahumans have cropped up primarily in Central City, despite the fact that there should be more outside the city, like Deathbolt. The existence of The Flash and his success in stopping bad guy after bad guy has led to other Metahumans keeping themselves hidden and out of the public eye so The Flash doesn't come after them. He's an active deterrent to Metahumans around the world. That this wasn't the case on Earth-2 speaks to the fact that their Flash was ultimately a fake :eek:.

So The reason Zolomon is so obsessed with Caitlin is because he craves for the affection and companionship he lost when his mother was killed by his father, which he found in her. Though behind all that is Zoom, the monster that he became because of all that :ack:.

Y'know, for as much as Barry's criticized for his decision making and rushing into things without thinking, being wary of intentionally instigating another Particle Accelerator explosion after the mess the last one caused seems like a fair apprehension :sweat:.

It was interesting to see them go back to Cisco and Dante's relationship and show that it actually hadn't improved after their bonding moments during the time they were kidnapped by Cold and Heat Wave. And Dante's still as stuck-up, judgmental, and apparently going nowhere as he was in his last appearance. But then we get Dante learning more about what Cisco has been doing with Team Flash, as well as being a Metahuman, and the brothers finally seem to be growing closer again :anime:.

Rupture was a cool villain, especially with that costume and scythe, and I'm a little disappointed to see Zoom kill him but I guess that's just par for the course at this point. He also made an interesting contrast with Dante given his dedication for getting revenge for Reverb, implying that the Earth-2 Ramon's were closer or just hinting at how much Earth-1 Dante really cares about his brother. And hey, the CCPD actually managed to catch a Metahuman by themselves (for the most part), that's pretty impressive :cool:.

I kinda wanted to see what the CCPD would've done with Rupture given they have no idea about the alternate Earths and alternate versions of people that have been running about the city this entire season. Would they have processed and tried him on their Earth? Which probably would have been weird given there's another Danter Ramon on Earth-1. Would there be changes to the legal system to accommodate attacks from alternate Earths? Would Joe tell them about Earth-2 and Rupture would be extradited back to Earth-2? And Dr. Light's still on the loose and a wanted murderer...

They really shouldn't have expected two teenagers (or young adults) to idly sit by in a locked room together, especially given Jessie's usual success in overriding her father's attempts to keep her safe and how impulsive (in a non-Bart way) both she and Wally are. And now they've both been hit by that burst of energy, or whatever Barry became after he was hit by the lightning, which is more then likely going to give them both their speed powers. Which I guess, in some ways, means Barry is responsible for giving them their powers :proud:?

So I wonder what happened to Barry? Was the blast so powerful it transported him into the Speed Force or some other metaphysical plane? And is he going to come out of it different then before?

11. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

I should asked this earlier, but why would Zoom be in love with Caitlin? The relationship between Caitlin and Jay/Hunter was not experienced by Zoom, right?

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Supposedly the Time Remnant was a past version of himself, so everything it was going through was experienced by the present-day Zoom at the same time, including romancing Caitlin.

At least I think that's what they're going for :sweat:.

13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Runaway Dinosaur" May 10, 2016

Tony Woodward returns?! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Runaway Dinosaur"
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    With Barry gone, the team must figure out a way to handle the return of an old enemy – Girder (guest star Greg Finley).

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So...apparently the Speed Force is this cosmic force of kinetic energy that's existed since the dawn of the universe, and has enough of an aggregate sentience that it can communicate with Barry, and apparently chose him to become The Flash. Okay :confused:.

The overall point they were trying to make seemed to be that Barry was never able to truly embrace the Speed Force and his powers because he was still holding onto the memory of his mother's death and his choice to not save her in the season one finale. So on a subconscious level he was never able to just let go and run to his full potential. So...I guess he should be faster and stronger now? Maybe not fast enough to beat Zoom, but better then he was before he gave up his speed? At least he found a way to beat Zombie!Girder on his own :cool:.

As weird as the entire Speed Force sequences were, the scenes of Barry with Nora were the highlight of the episode form me. Just some powerful, emotional, stuff there :crying:.

Zombie Girder was kind of random, but it was interesting to see Team Flash try and deal with him without Barry being around. Props to Iris and Joe for sprinting it all the way to STAR Labs from their house. Though maybe it's not that far o_O?

Joe taking charge of Team Flash with Barry gone was cool :).

So they've just had Girder, Blackout, and I presume Multiplex, Everyman, and Clyde's bodies laying in an impromptu morgue below STAR Labs? Creepy. I wonder what they did with Deathbolt's body :ack:.

At least Star City, which isn't Starling City anymore dude, can take pride in their Big Belly Burger being better then the Central City branch. At least that's one thing they've got going for them ;).

I liked how Joe tried to test if Wally had powers by dropping the cup, which is his thing with Barry. It's just too bad that was a cup Iris had given him :p.

I hope nothing terrible comes out of Henry deciding to finally stay in Central City, but this makes him a perfect target for Zoom :eek:.

So Zoom is going to take over Earth-1 with an army of Supervillains from Earth-2. Including apparently the Earth-2 Hawks and, of course, Black Siren, who has a real Canary Cry. Barry is probably going to need a bit of help with this one...good thing Wally and Jesse got hit by the Speed Force :D.

15. hobbyfan

Zombie Girder? Seems to me that's a subtle suggestion to the network for a crossover with iZombie down the road.

With Kevin Smith directing, we knew ahead of time that his BFF Jason Mewes (Jay to Smith's Silent Bob) would turn up, and I didn't recognize him at all with short hair.

However, I take exception to the Speed Force being akin to God. That, folks, is the impression I get. To me, even though he didn't write the script, Smith might've wanted to do some sort of call back to "Dogma".

Barry "woke up" Jessie, but I get the feeling Wally's powers will manifest when he least expects them to.

Zoom is beginning to annoy me in much the same way Kilgrave did over on Jessica Jones, and I think the same fate awaits.

16. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Invincible" May 17, 2016

Katie Cassidy guest stars! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Invincible"
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    After Zoom unleashes an army of Earth-2 meta-humans on Central City, Barry is shaken when he sees their leader is the Black Canary’s Earth-2 doppelganger, the Black Siren.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a rough ending. It just came out of nowhere.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

18. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Barry needs to kill Zoom for what he did.

19. hobbyfan

Killing off Henry Allen was actually unnecessary, and reeked of bad writing.

Not only that, but after Black Canary had been killed off on Arrow last month, did we really need something like this so soon after that, and on the night when Black Siren shows up?

John Wesley Shipp, TV's original Flash, reminded us of the chemistry he had with Amanda Pays 26 years ago. This was terrific stuff. Just when you thought we'd have a happy ending this week, I glanced at the clock, and said to myself that we'd have something bad happen in the final 3 minutes. And so Henry gets whacked.

Flash & Zoom racing in the finale? How anti-climatic! How lame!

FWIW, my bro & I watched the Chronicles of Cisco online miniseries over the weekend, and that was just brilliant, with the return of Peek-a-Boo. If you haven't seen it, please do.

20. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Cool seeing JWS and Amanda Pays together again.
    SAD & ANGRY that Zoom may have killed off Henry.