1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Flash (2014)" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dcmarvelfanguy

dcmarvelfanguy New Member

Yeah! I think the lack of Rogues really hurt this Season. I mean, we got them in that dream sequence for Episode 1 and we had Episode 3 which gave us more of Snart's backstory. Last but not least we had Episode 9 which had the team up between Weather Wizard and Trickster (Captain Cold was there, but not really with them). The rest of the villains didn't have the same presence or development as the Rogue characters and Reverse Flash. Eobard Thawne was a better antagonist than Hunter Zolomon, which is a shame because Zoom is a great character in the Geoff Johns run. Very complex.

2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

You know, there's something I felt I should have commented on earlier.

I didn't like how either Eodard or Hunter were handled in this show. I don't exactly know why, I just do.

3. dcmarvelfanguy

dcmarvelfanguy New Member

I loved how they portrayed Eobard. He was very accurate to the comics but had his own spin from the show. The showrunners got to have their cake and eat it too. I am not a fan of this portrayal of Hunter at all though. Zoom on this show was better as a force of nature and "unstoppable demon" that they advertised him as then whey tried to make him a compelling character.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Geoff Johns has let his success go to his head. I can remember when he was writing Stars & STRIPE, and actually was contributing to a Google newsgroup, and that was nearly 20 years ago. Today, he represents a glaring problem a lot of writers are facing.

When I was growing up, continuity wasn't as important as it is now, and we had done-in-one stories all the time, both in the comics and on TV. It wasn't until the 80's when continuity began to matter, and done-in-one stories were becoming the exception instead of the rule. We have at least two, maybe three, generations of readers and creators who are in the mindset that every storyline is "an event", given far more importance than would've been the case 30-35 years ago. Unfortunately, too many "events" have given rise to the mass ret-conning of the past, something DC is hoping to stop.

Today's writers were fans themselves, and they're putting their stamp(s) on the characters, based on their own ideas and interests, which don't reflect the majority of readers, past or present. Compressed continuity, a term I started using some years back, crams decades of history into the movies and television shows we see now, and this includes animation, I might add, to simplify things for new readers/viewers. It's not perfect, but what is?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I like this season more than the first one, important contributing factors being Barry finally coming up with plans for himself instead of depending on his backstage allies to make plans for him all the time, and that he managed to defeat Eobard Thawne on his lonesome, without asking for help from Arrow or Ronnie.