1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Flash (2014)" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I have now composed a list of solutions for preventing Iris' death.

1. Use the face scanning technology to make everyone look like Iris
    2. Have a character make a sacrifice and use the face scanning technology to take her place maybe Killer Frost since they'll probably have to kill her anyways
    3. Have Martian Manhunter take her place.
    4. Use an alternate universe version who may have meta abilities
    5. Keep Iris in an alternate reality until the date passes.
    6. Take a cue from the comics have Barry make a time paradox duplicate and have him and Iris live the rest of their life in the future.

Six just came up with six solutions to this in half the time these "super scientists" have besides just changing random events that are clearly meaningless!

2. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I like #6 the best.
    Barry and Iris have twins and they grow up to be the Tornado Twins and join the LSH. :cool:

3. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New episodes return! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Once and Future Flash"
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Barry travels to the future to find out Savitar’s still unknown identity in the hopes of saving Iris.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

This is slowly staggering to the finish line. We'll finally see who Savitar is next week, not that anyone could actually give a rat's butt, because, as I previously noted, his true ID was never revealed in the books. Berlanti just wanted one more speedster villain. Going to the well one time too many will lead to a downward spiral for this show.

5. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Thankfully, given what was hinted at in the previous episode, the next major villain will most likely not be a speedster.

As for the episode, this is definitely one of the weaker ones, as outside of the information pertaining Killer Frost and the set up for the May Sweeps episodes in the final act (i.e. the mentioning of a character that will play a role in the next few episodes, Savitar revealing his identity to Killer Frost), most of the dark future stuff felt like one of those "we need to kill the season order" type of episodes (with the "drama" making things worse).

6. Magmaster12

So anyone have a guess on who next season's villain might be?

I know everyone probably thinks it will be Abra Kadabra but I think they'll just continue the pattern by making the Time Trapper the overarching villain.

7. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "I Know Who You Are"
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Barry and the team meet Tracy Brand, a scientist, who may be the key to stopping Savitar.

8. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Okay, so...

I'm having a hard time getting to a place where Barry would be capable of doing this. Post-Crisis Barry?

9. Magmaster12

10. hobbyfan

Poor writing. Period. So now we get a evil emo-Barry. Why? Because the writers on this show have zero imagination. To me, this is a cop-out.

For those of you who need the actual 411 on Savitar, here it is, courtesy of Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, I know, but....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savitar_(comics)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

More than likely, the writers were trying to come up with a twist that would be different from the more obvious reveals of the last two seasons (going so far as having the "obvious" reveal be a midseason reveal to set up the real big bad of the season). However, the writers fail to realize that the fans are not as dumb as they seem,

12. hobbyfan

I still think, though, that they went in the wrong direction, considering that "Future Flash" & Savitar were two separate characters, which the writers fused together, just for the sake of drawing the storyline out. It's just lazy storytelling, and poor attention to detail, the same problem they have had with other shows.

While I'm at it, why don't I suggest this to the group? How about splitting the season into separate story arcs (applies not only to Flash, but to the other Berlanti-verse shows as well)? Seeing how the writers are unable to sustain total coherence to the overarching plot over 7 months (October-May; Riverdale goes January-May for this season), why not break the 22 episode season down into any number of components:

2 10 episode arcs, with two stand-alone stories in the middle, usually around Christmas

Or

4 shorter arcs of about 5-6 episodes apiece. I'd still keep the Christmas show separate, such that it can be used by itself at the holiday break.

An IGN commentator, discussing Supergirl, suggested the 2 11 ep arcs, but that's still a little too taxing for the writers. Maybe I'm biased, since I write short fan fics here, but I think the easiest way to make a season long "big bad" work is to keep him/her/it in the background most weeks, starting as a subplot, then building toward bringing the "big bad" to the forefront in the 2nd half of the season.

What does everyone think?

13. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

@hobbyfan Not a bad idea actually, and I like both alternatives. Agents of SHIELD is currently doing that successfully in its fourth season (having three mini-arcs tied together into an overarching one).

14. hobbyfan

That's exactly the formula they should be using for the DC shows on CW. Like, the writers have fallen into ruts, and don't know any other way to tell their stories. Not only that, but with the addition of Black Lightning, should that go to series, Berlanti's staff is going to be stretched even thinner than it is now, considering they are already responsible for five shows on CW and one on NBC. Let's face it. They botched season 3 of The Flash so, so badly this season by wrapping up the Flashpoint arc too quickly. The season should've broken down thus:

"Flashpoint": October-November, spinning off "Alchemy" into a 2-3 episode arc that would lead into the 4-way crossover in November. Then, you'd lead into the Christmas episode and the winter break.

"Gorilla City" would've been a good February arc. "The Hunt For Savitar" would play in the background as we come back from the final break. I wouldn't have used the alternate reality Future Flash, because, as I outlined before, in the books, Savitar's true ID has never been revealed, and it should've stayed that way. Savitar was the last evil speedster available, and should've actually been saved for a future season, IMPO.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Cause and Effect"
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Barry takes drastic measures to stop Savitar.

16. hobbyfan

Not only does present Barry get amnesia, but it affects Savitar, too. A sort of symbiotic thing, but still...!

Captain Cold & King Shark return next week. Underwhelming.

17. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

CAPTAIN COLD and KING SHARK, YAY! :D

This Savitar storyling has lasted WAY TOO LONG.

Wish next season they would follow the BATMAN 66 route.
    Two-Part episodes with part 1 ending in a death-trap cliff-hanger.
    I can see it now, Flash tied to a giant boomerang by Captain Boomerang.
    :cool:

18. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

That might be too big a swing in the opposite direction. That approach works well with camp, but maybe not so well when telling a more straightforward story.

19. hobbyfan

1. Yes, it has, but had they formatted the show differently, as discussed last week, it probably wouldn't feel that way.

2. With the 1 hour format, a cliffhanger would be saved for the season finale, if they wanted to go in that direction.

20. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Captain Cold lives!

[​IMG]
    "Infantino Street"
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    With only 24 hours left until Savitar murders Iris, Barry struggles to save the woman he loves and makes the choice to use any means necessary to do so.