The Fanfiction Recommendation Thread.

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Antiyonder, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Fanfiction overall is something that while good it seems as though pretty much all stories are simply bad or uninspired (Not necessarily bad, but doesn't intrique you or even provide simply fun). Therefore, I think it's necessary to have this thread to point out some of the best fanfics you've read off Toon Zone.

And to provide some interest, please provide the story outline and why you recommend it. As for me:

1. Avatar The Last Airbender "Distorted Reality" (Still is being done): A role reversial of sorts. After failing to save the world from the Fire Nation, Aang is sent into a world which has to deal with the conquering Water Empire, with his allies Zuko (who lacks his scar and Firebending abilities) and Azula (Who hopes to become a better Firebender). Now for the early portions of the fanfic, a good deal of chapters are an altered form of the episodes seen on ATLA, but later stories will be devoid of altered episodes, while others will play with your expectations.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3952155/1/Distorted_Reality

2. Detective Conan/Case Closed "The Mystery of Conan Edogawa" (Completed): Basic aspect of the series which hasn't changed is Ran being in the dark that her childhood friend is her adopted little brother. Naturally, many fanfics will have her discovering the identity, and tend to handle it in a simple matter. Either she forgives Conan/Shinichi while being annoy, or she'll hate him for a portion of the story. This story manages to convey that she is reasonably angry, while having a valid sensible reason to forgive him.

Plus much like how certain aspects of the manga/anime tend to reference various detective characters/stories, this one touches upon how Conan's dilemma is similar to Sherlock Holmes supposed death in The Final Problem and Empty House story.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4553963/1/The_Mystery_of_Conan_Edogawa

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Years ago, I read a pretty decent fanfic at fanfiction.net called "Extreme Iceman's Justice League". It was basically an alternate Justice League series set in a world in which both DC and Marvel characters co-existed. Not merged characters like in the Amalgam universe, just a single show featuring both Marvel and DC franchises existing alongside of one another.

As I recall, the core team consisted of 7 members: Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), Rouge, Iceman and Marvel Girl (that being Valeria Richards).

The stories were told in an episodic fashion, with each chapter being a self-contained story rather than one giant story.

This fic was surprisingly well-written and the meshing of the 2 companies was effortless and well-executed.

I read this fic years ago, and I haven't been to fanfiction.net in a long time, but if I can find any traces of "Extreme Iceman's Justice League", I'll post a link.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Some more fanfics that need mentioning:

1. Gargoyles "Rhapsody": I held off on posting this originally as it was also posted on the story forums, but thought it should be mentioned just the same. Now I'm definitely one of those viewers/readers who generally prefer idealistic stories where for the most part that good always wins. But Gargoyles is one of the few series that the dark moments to me that's actually compelling and exciting.

And the problem with most Garg fics is that they try to simplify the characters (such as Angela reforming Demona or turning Xanatos into a good guy). But that's not present here. Demona while sympathetic, isn't anywhere near remorseful. The Quarryman (much like the SLG Comics) aren't a simple group of hammer crazy lunatics who live only to "smash some stone.".

The story taking bits of info that Greg Weisman provided has the Manhattan Clan awaiting the passing of the GMPA (Gargoyles Minority Protection Act), while The Praying Gargoyle statue (last seen in the episode Hunter's Moon) has been restored and possessed again by Demona.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4818572/1/Rhapsody

2. Kim Possible "Tanks For the Memories": The problems with most Gargoyles fanfiction tends to be the opposite for Kim Possible. This show is simply two friends (later lovers) who fight crime and attend school. The last thing I think of interms of Kim Possible is Ron dying in a horrific accident, while Kim is pregnant with Josh Mankey's baby (Not a specific story I'm refering to, but an example of how most fanfics don't even resemble the material). Even then, it is possible to go far from the canon while still giving the story resemblance to said canon.

This fanfic aside from the occasional adult tone could actually pass an episode of the show. The story is that Ron feels less than masculine as Kim tends to be the one to drive them around (her car as opposed to Ron's scooter). Things change for Ron as he gets his own set of wheels.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3361374/1/Tanks_for_the_Memories

3. Avatar The Last Airbender "Twenty Truths About Mai and Katara": Does a story that hasn't been told constantly. And while there are some grammer errors, the story is still readable.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4419976/1/Twenty_Truths_About_Mai_and_Katara

4. Power Rangers Hidden Wars: A story dating back to 1999 featuring the Psycho Rangers and Ecliptor (both from Power Rangers In Space). While this fanfic is for the more older readers and gets pretty dark at the time, it still feels like Power Rangers.

For the most part I will avoid linking to an incomplete series, but the chapters that would uploaded are well done and in the link I'm sending you there's a link that leads to the writer's plans for the unmade chapters.

While the series is obvious unofficial and not canon, efforts are made to tie the series into the canon as much as possible, and even working around the few times that the show would contradict that fanfic (i.e. To The Tenth Power and Forever Red).

The story starts out with the revelation that Zordon actually tranfered the United Alliance of Evil to what he presumed to be an uninhabited planet. Much to his surprise, the planet contained human life. Unable to create or teleport a team of Power Rangers to the planet, Zordon finds himself having to recruit the Psycho Rangers and Ecliptor (who joins on the condition that he's sent back to his universe to be reunited with Karone).

http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Living_Room/index.php?showtopic=2395

4. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

There's a lot of crap on fanfiction.net, but a good author I've discovered recently is Skylark Evanson. She writes for Ben 10, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Generator Rex, and others. So far, her stories always seem at least reasonably in-character, which is more than I can say for a lot of other stories there. I know this thread is supposed to be for fics, not authors, but go ahead and click the link, her stories are all right there.

5. NewComer2014

NewComer2014 Guest

If I have to recommend a few stories, then I'd have to mention the name of one of the greatest authors from whom I've read wonderful fanfics. Some of his stuff can be found at FanFiction.Net and at his own page, where he has even more stories... most of which I've re-read twice or maybe even up to three times each! I fully and undoubtedly recommend all of his stories, but I'll mention his name only if there's no problem with this.