"The Fairly OddParents" Week of Premieres (7/7-7/11/14)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

[​IMG]

Weekdays (except Thursday) at 3:00PM ET/6:00PM PT

Cosmonopoly / Hero Hound (7/7)
    Timmy, his dad and the fairies get trapped in a board game created by Cosmo and must find a way to get out before Timmy's mom throws the game in a woodchipper.

Timmy wishes Sparky would get a chance to be heroic, while Dad thinks he can talk to animals.

A Boy and His Dog-Boy / Crock Blocked (7/8)
    Sparky wishes he was a human, and Timmy becomes a dog. Timmy tries to convince Sparky to change back to canine form

Timmy wishes Mr. Crocker would disappear, but he becomes invisible. Due to this, Dad thinks the house is haunted.

Finding Emo / Dust Busters (7/9)
    Timmy falls in love with a girl named Missy and wishes to become emo to impress her. However, he stops caring about everything and his fairies become at risk.

Timmy's house gets filled with fairy "dust" from wishing, so Timmy and his fairies try to clean it up. Meanwhile, Mr. and Mrs. Turner are taken to a fake spa by a disguised Jorgen.

The Past and the Furious (7/11)
    Cosmo and Wanda bring Timmy back through time to meet their former Godchildren. (Half-hour episode)

-------------------------------

TBH, it's just easier to make a weekly talkback instead of a daily talkback, considering FOP has a whole month of premieres.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

I believe you mean Dust Busters instead of App Trap.

3. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Fixed now. Thanks.

4. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

We might as well make this the official thread for the month of premieres, and beyond I guess, since the previous Fairly OddParents thread has already reached many posts.

Okay, today's episode, Finding Emo and Dust Busters. Thanks to the internet, we had decent forewarning at how terrible these were, but wow...

What logic went into making the episode Finding Emo? Specifically, the character Missy. Why can't they just make Timmy decide on a girl he wants to like? It's so ridiculous, this ten year old boy who is described as average and a bit of a loser seems to be the number one player in the school, more so than the two super rich kids that never appear anymore. The character Missy in particular was so poorly written I had to double check to make sure Hartman was behind this and he was (storyboarding is just as worse of a crime as writing on this show). It seems unbelievably lazy to invent a new character for one that they have two already capable of doing. I'm not really a fan of Trixie Tang, but this was her type of episode, actually now that I recall they literally did have an episode where Timmy wished away his emotions to impress Trixie, before she was written out of the show all together. Also, something I noted before, they forget Jorgen was married to the Tooth Fairy and gave him a dating side-plot. C'mon, that is just paying zero attention to the characters and lore you established, kids DO pick up on stuff like that I know Hartman refuses to believe it but they do. The second episode was just a horrific recycled plot bottle episode that isn't even worth giving more than a sentence of thought to, it was inoffensively bad compared to Finding Emo being offensively bad.

I should also note that Monday's episode had the lowest rating of any episode of season 9 so far, and I have a good feeling we haven't hit rock bottom yet.

5. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

how were the ratings?

6. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Not good. The ratings thread should have more information.

7. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Member

I've seen "Finding Emo" and "Dust Bunnies" earlier. I have yet to watch the others though, but I do have them on my DVR. They are not the best episodes, but I enjoyed them for what they were. But what happened to Trixie? Is Missy basically her replacement now or something?

8. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

In a sense, yes, Missy is Trixie's replacement. Now, if I can recall, 'Finding Emo' was a controversial episode for the forums here BECAUSE it introduced a female character that many felt was unnecessary. Timmy already had a love interest who was out of league, Trixie, but I guess the writers were tired of using her, so they abruptly dropped Trixie and gave us this Snow White-esque chick who would give Timmy the time of day. Before I break off into a mini rant, I'll just say that for what it's worth, Missy isn't a HUGE problem because Timmy has spent years trying to get Trixie to like him, and even if he did, the episode would end with him losing her anyway, so to have him actually WIN this time was quite nice.

The same can not be said about these new episodes. There were moments were I honestly had to resist the urge to turn the tv off. Jokes and gags were repeated SEVERAL times an episode. I usually don't pay attention to gags, but this show practically tore my eyes open with how frequent they use the same joke, well past 3 times. Characters who used to be crucial to the plot like the anti-fairies have been given the boot except for Foop. And the normal fairies seem to only comprise of Jorgen who himself seems to only exist to warn Timmy of the Taboo of the Day. And let's not forget Vicky who's in the OPENING and is the reason why the show exists in the first place. Where has SHE been? This show has dropped some well-known villains in favor of the bad guys being Timmy's irresponsibility which at this point leaves episodes very predictable.

Poof has been one of the biggest wastes of space these past few episodes. He hasn't done a SINGLE thing aside from a few gags. All he's done is float with his parents like some accessory. Even the characters refer to Timmy's fairies as being a pair, or just Cosmo and Wanda. And when their wands were taken in a'Dust Busters', guess whose purple rattle wand was excluded from being drawn, yet was still taken? Even the ARTISTS fail to acknowledge Poof's existence.

Now, Sparky still isn't as annoying as others have made him out to be, since he isn't always the center of attention, but I DO feel like he's a bit of a deus ex machina (if that's the right phrase). A few of these new episodes that have nothing to do with Sparky still have him save the day, which is odd. But unlike Poof, Sparky still DOES something when he's on screen, for better or for worse.

Timmy's DAD however, is VERY MUCH for the worse. If I have to see him hijack another episode with his stupidity, I'm going to scream. This was a show about a kid with constantly busy parents, but now his Dad appears in basically every episode so Timmy can't be as miserable now.

These new episodes REEK of modern day Butch Hartman, but they're just BARELY tolerable. The whole purpose of the Cosmonopoly game was sweet and Timmy getting those different personalities was funny, especially sensitive Timmy. Unfortunately, these are tiny diamonds in the piles upon piles of coal. We can only buckle up and hold on from here everyone.

Rant over.

9. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

Btw, I wonder which voice actor voiced Missy?

10. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Missy is voiced by Dannah Phirman. Also, I agree with most of what Darissa Townes had to say, especially in regards to Sparky being a deus ex machina. There have been several situations actually, where Timmy goes through the ol' "Loses his fairies over something stupid" experience, and Sparky is the one that is overlooked and allowed to still give Timmy access to magic in such emergencies. So, even the one little suspenseful thing this show had and often relied onto to a fault has been rendered a joke. The over-use of Dad and Crocker too, ugh. It just further shows the staff's laziness, as the writers are unwilling to commit to tertiary or even secondary characters, and when they do, they make glaring mistakes in lore such as Jorgen's marriage debacle. I mean keeping a cartoon intact is SO hard especially in today's age where you have the internet, wikis, or help at the click of a button, right? Give me a break! Trixie's disappearance from the show, definitely a concern. A season 9 hype up interview had the interviewer asking about Timmy/Trixie (but nothing on Tootie, so much for unbiased journalism) and Butch gave him a very roundabout answer which was certainly the first red flag. Now this Missy character comes and directly usurps the place of both Trixie and Tootie at the same time.... who is Hartman trying to impress with this move? But otherwise, Vicky's disappearance concerns me more than anybody, she was the backbone of this show in several ways. Vicky and Tootie have no reason to have disappeared because Grey Delisle is still very much active on this show. I wouldn't put too much concern into Missy, Hartman has done this with Danny Phantom and the ghost hunter chick too, all the upcoming episodes seem to indicate that Missy will not be becoming an important character and chances are she won't be even a recurring one. Take that as you will.

11. CowBobRanchPants

CowBobRanchPants New Member

I know the show has barely touched on the Jorgen/Tooth Fairy relationship in all its' years, but common. They could have at least make Jorgen say that him and the Tooth Fairy had split.

12. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Okay, I missed about the first twelve or so minutes of this. This was supposed to be one of the episodes after Poof spoke, right? I don't recall seeing much of Poof at all in this episode, actually.

Anyways, another bad episode. It's one thing to recycle plots, its another thing to literally take an episode you've done before line for line and make one minor change (adding Sparky).

New characters that are lame, a new villainess that was okay but would've been better fit as Vicky (wasn't she already working at Cake and Bacon in an earlier episode? Another plot that went nowhere), even the title card to this episode looked unusually crappy. This episode would not even be worth putting in the bargain bin, its not even worth the DVD/Film or whatever media its printed on.

13. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

Wow...just wow. The fabled first episode after Poof begins talking and the kid's not even in it. I know the guy's been a waste of composition these past few episodes, but seriously?! He's not even referenced beyond a street sign!

Also, they really need to explain the rules about Sparky. Is he an accomplice of Timmy's fairies? If Timmy's reveals his secret, does Sparky go too? If the guy is going around granting wishes for Timmy, what's stopping magic animals from being Godparents too? Shouldn't the rules apply to him too? And if Cosmo and Wanda were fired, how could they still grant Timmy's wish? Why make all the hubbub of being fired when a fairy can grant a wish without having to be a godparent? Or in Sparky's case, not a psudeo-human?! How can a godparent lose their job of granting wishes and yet their former god kid NOT lose their memories of them?!

I think I'm starting to understand why some of you are getting pissed. What little rules this show HAD to follow about characters (WHY WAS FOOP CELEBRATING THE ANNIVERSARY, HE'S A BAD GUY?!!), story, episode flow, and comedy were launched out the window. Timmy was an absolute irresponsible nitwit this episode and Wanda was more oblivious than usual. Timmy messed up FOUR timelines and they never noticed.

And they ruined bacon. You CANNOT ruin bacon.

This has been a rough week of premieres for me. Nonstop Cosmo, Crocker, and Mr.Turner gags, Sparky deus ex machina, Poof's uselessness literally making him go 'poof' for this episode, and Timmy seeming less deserving of fairies if he's willing to straight up lie to their faces FOUR TIMES.

I'm counting down the minutes until Legend of Korra, folks.

14. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Why is Cake and Bacon a recurring joke again? It's right up there with Mr. Crocker's mother with "Stuff that shouldn't have ever appeared more than one episode, let alone every other episode". Stuff fans care about gets ignored, while insipid crap like this becomes the center of multiple episodes because Hartman and his inner circle of yes men think its funny.

Also, you're absolutely right about Sparky... What is his purpose? It's mostly just a safety net. When Timmy makes the dumb wish that loses his fairies, instead of having to actually think of a way to get them back, the writers can just have Sparky pull something out of his butt. It's bad, real bad. Timmy has this wish granter which rarely second guesses him and seems to be very loosely constricted by Da Rules. It's like the plot of one of FOP's many "You can't have it too perfect" episodes... except no lesson is being learned, and nothing is going back to normal again ever.

Horrid first week of premieres, just horrid. It's so weird that when I first started watching this show I hated Vicky, and now her episodes like the upcoming "Stage Fright" are literally the only ones I ever look for, though they aren't any better than the rest.

15. alfa9delta

disappointing. Poof wasn't seen or mentioned, but Foop, a character that only exists because of him, was there. How can someone explain that?
    Timmy acted super-extra jerk this episode, but aside of that, the writing wasn't that bad. I see an extra effort to make Sparky likable. What makes me mad is the whole discontinuity thing, like the losing fairies, but still remembering them, the girl telling Timmy about having fairies and not having them taken away, she has grown up after Timmy returns to present, and still remember she had fairies and even their names. That's insane. They're throwing 10 years of mythology to the trash, that's extremely unfair to the long-time fans of the show...

16. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

If Sparky is headlining an episode, then Poof cannot be involved, or vice versa it seems. Can't have two useless, annoying, walking insults to character designers everywhere stinking up the episode at the same time now can we?

I think this is just Hartman's ego getting way too big. It's kinda funny when its stuff like Dr. Rip Studwell his personal FOP "Avatar", but then you actually start to realize that Hartman really does see himself like that character, it shows how much of a delusional ego maniac he has become. Sparky was his idea. To make too many episodes without Sparky being forced in a plot is as much as an admission to his egregious mistake as removing him from the show entirely would be, and he cannot have that. TUFF Puppy getting cancelled did not bring him back to Earth like I hoped, he's already lost deep in the galactic void. Hartman lost all respect I had for him with this pile of poo he gave us, if he had just ended it at the live action movie he'd at least have had a shred of dignity left, but he couldn't even do that.

I can't comment much on the discontinuity, because I missed the first part of the episode, but really now... I'm not going to be surprised at all if the "Poof speaks" turns out to be exclusive to just that one episode. His speaking voice was horrid anyway, they may as well have used the rapper from the movie.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Well if "Stage Fright" lacks Crocker and Timmy's Dad then it might be better than the rest.Though we can't excape Cosmo.I don't even bother trying to watch the series anymore unless I know if one of my favorite characters are in it (and since they haven't been in the series in a long time It's been awhile).

18. emocobra666

emocobra666 New Member

i want the crimson chin back again

19. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Maybe he's in one of the 3 remaining episodes. He's been in at least one episode each season (last time was on Timmy's Secret Wish) so it could happen.

20. alfa9delta

Nickelodeon has put "Let Sleepers Dogs Lie/Cat-Astrophe"in their website already, they premiere monday. I'm only 4 minutes intro the first one and they have already COMPLETELY CHANGE the way Crocker loses Cosmo and Wanda that we saw in "Secret Origin of Denzel Crocker", but not only that, apparently CROCKER USED TO BE SPARKY'S OWNER, when he was Cosmo and Wanda's godkid...HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??? So Cosmo and Wanda knew Sparky before "Fairly OddPet", but didn't remember, and the episode gave the lame excuse that "fairies have bad memory" when they could have used the previously established fact that Cosmo and Wanda had their memories wiped after Crocker lost them!
    Right now, I don't even know why do I still watch this show. I didn't see some of the episodes, like 'Crock Blocked', that sounded super stupid, but know I guess I'll watch even less of them...