"The Fairly OddParents" Week of Premieres (7/14-7/18/14)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

[​IMG]

Weekdays (except Thursday) at 3:00PM ET/6:00PM PT

Let Sleeper Dogs Lie / Cat-astrophe (7/14)
    Crocker tries to trigger Sparky with a secret word.

Catman confuses Sparky with his arch-nemesis.

Jerk of All Trades / Snack Attack (7/15)
    Timmy helps Jorgen find a new job after he is fired.

Sparky makes his own magic dog treats.

Turning Into Turner / The Wand That Got Away (7/16)
    Crocker pretends to be future Timmy using stolen DNA.

Timmy helps Cosmo find his lost wand.

Dimmsdale Tales (7/18)
    Dad forgets all of the supplies for the Squirrely Scouts camping trip. (Half-hour episode)

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Who's above Jorgen?

3. Darissa Townes

Darissa Townes Active Member

Getting a little ticked off by the excess Crocker's Mom jokes and the continuing absence of Poof, but so far, I'm still holding on. I've no room for ranting at this point.

4. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Those episode stunk. I suppose they weren't any worse than the ones last week, but can you get any worse than that? Poof's continued unexplained absence. They used some characters that are off the beaten path, but I don't know anyone who is going to get too excited for Chet Ubetcha returning. And finally, another episode ends with an anti-climatic battle inside Crocker's cave. The plots were recycled of course, at this point the number of unique and original episodes is far more rare than the copycats.

There was another new commercial for the upcoming FOP live movie as well. Once again, compared to the quality of the actual cartoon, this otherwise awkward diversion may end up being a welcome respite. It does make me chuckle at how the commercial says "Get excited for all your favorite FOP characters in live action again like Crocker, Timmy, Tootie" ....Wait, who is Tootie? Seriously, if I'm someone who has never watched anything but the new episodes, I do not know who this character is. There was a scene in the first half of today's episode which was BEGGING for her to show up, even if silent cameo. This is the decision that boggles the mind the most, I mean if you really look at it we still know very little of Tootie and she was one of the first female protagonists on the show, but instead of getting one backstory for her we get a bazillion Crocker backstories that change over every episode. This is exactly what I mean when I say the wrong characters steal spotlight from better ones.

5. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

When Timmy wished for all girls to love him in order to break Da Rules, that was the perfect cue to Trixie and Tootie cameos.
    BTW, I didn't' watch the second episode 'Snack Attack' because the synopsis sounded really dumb. Was Poof absent in that one too?

6. Darissa Townes

Yes he was still absent. And the premise was similar to the episode where Timmy had a lemonade stand and by dipping Cosmo's old socks into the drinks, that person got a wish.

Also, I think the Stupid=Funny rule is starting to rub off on Timmy's Mom. She's never been as dumb as she was in Snack Attack.

7. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Ratings are setting new record lows this month. At this point, kids see Crocker or Sparky in the title card and know immediately to turn the channel over to Cartoon Network or Disney.

About the title cards.... is it me, or are some of them just extremely poor? In many cases they are nothing but a character standing in front of a background that looks like it was done in Paint Shop Pro.

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Well that wouldn't matter since Tootie isn't recognizable in the live-action film.Yeah there are plenty of other characters that needed character development like Vicky, Tootie, Trixie, and Timmy's human friends but it's wasted on Crocker.

9. alfa9delta

I did watch this promo on Nick.com. There's a scene with lava in which the CGI looks terrible. One thing I enjoyed in the second movie was the CGI improvement. Now they decide to add one more CGI character, I hope they hadn't burn the whole budget with that, because Foop doesn't look great in CGI either.

About today's new episode, I guess Sparky was absent during the first one too. It's like the two characters they added are so useless they won't even bother anymore on make them float/walk around if the plot doesn't involve them.

10. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

In the first film at least, Tootie was shown as her ten year old self. They only showed it briefly, in thought bubbles, and only showed her face, but it was enough so that even a viewer with cursory knowledge of the show could figure out who she was, as they had also aired a few new episodes with Tootie leading up to the first movie.. The behind the scenes photos showed Daniella Monet dressed up entirely like Tootie, so its possible there were additional past-Tootie+Timmy scenes that were cut, or more likely they realized that Daniella Monet looks nothing like a ten year old. Still, movie Tootie isn't that far from the cartoon, a clever girl who loves Timmy, her appearance/costume is a fail though that applies to everyone whose costume called for more than a white shirt and tie. The thing that puzzles me is that the live action movie gave this character a popularity boost, Nickelodeon even added her to games on their website, and Hartman failed yet again to capitalize on easy money for himself and Nickelodeon. He needs to take a hard look at rival network shows like Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, etc, where the littlest side character can become the biggest player in the game and the most popular on the show if they right buttons are pushed. These cartoons, the former most almost as long-running as New FOP now, are far more well received and win the big boy awards, not lose at the Daytime Emmys to CGI Dreamworks faces.

11. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

I wanted to watch this again, but I can't find the link anywhere.

12. alfa9delta

Try here

13. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Okay, got it, thanks.

Actually, the lava wasn't that bad. The whole thing was tolerable, I wasn't cringing like I was with the Christmas movie. Perhaps maybe the horrible picture of Drake Bell in that ugly suit and shorts with his hairy legs on the right of that website was distracting me though.

What makes the movie at least look somewhat interesting? It feels like they are going on a real adventure again. Not a trip to Fairy World to buy diapers for Cosmo or some other AWFUL infantile joke, not Timmy locked in his snowglobe. We'll see though.

14. Darissa Townes

Well, let me just brush over today's first episode by just explaining it in a few words: Crocker's Mom Jokes up the Rear.

Now, for the missing wand episode....I gotta say, this was an episode wasn't that bad, but it still had the common problems. The Scooby-doo throwback was SO obnoxious though, I was waiting for the hallway chase scene.

What SHOULD be noted is that Poof FINALLY appeared after some 4+ episodes. I seriously gasped when I saw him. BUT when the premise of the show kicked in, I realized that his reappearance was just to fill the role of VELMA in the Scooby-Doo theme this episode. With Velma always being the brains of the Gang, it was a perfect opportunity for the kid to SAY SOMETHING, even a 'Jinkies,' but no. Sparky steals almost ALL the memorable phrases, drilling the 'THIS IS A REFERENCE TO SCOOBY-DOO' theme to an annoying extent. I feel like the fact that they ONLY brought Poof back to play in their little game of references was a tad bit insulting. I seriously hope that Poof stays for these next episodes so they can prove this thought wrong. AND FOR PETE'S SAKE, LET HIM TALK!!

15. alfa9delta

Poof won't talk in any regular 11 minutes episode that is premiering this month because they all were produced before "School of Crock". Friday's episode "Dimmsdale Tales" and "Fairly Odd Fairy Tales" , that airs July 25, are the only ones from after "SoC", and the only ones that may have Poof speaking. "The Past and the Furious" was also after "SoC", but Poof was nowhere to be seen.

About today's episode, the first one was terrible, but the one about the lost wand I found pretty funny and is my personal favorite from the season so far. I guess the fact that it didn't have any huge continuity mistake on this one helped me like it.

16. Doguineta

Doguineta New Member

Still haven't seen today's episode but I really liked yesterday's Jerk of All Trades. I guess it's because it's one of the few season 9 episodes that didn't center on Timmy/Cosmo/Crocker/Dad. Seeing Juandissimo and Jorgen be important to the plot already made it better than the last few, and it was funny (at least to me).

And I'm actually impressed they remembered Principal Waxelplax existed, if only for a cameo. I do not know of she was voiced by her original VA or replaced, like Catman on Monday.

17. Darissa Townes

Another week of premieres over. Much of the same here, folks.

Now my BIGGEST question for this episode?

Why was Poof in the title card yet not in the episode? The stories Timmy told could've squeezed Poof into the mix.

Alas, this whole week has mostly been devoid of Poof. And instead, we had a heap of Crocker complaining about his mom and Timmy's Dad being his idiotic self that makes me question why he's a parent.

But still, many of us watched these episodes this week. I'll grit my teeth for next week's batch.

18. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Getting off from violence

Whelp got bored and notice that FOP had a new episode and decided to check it out and man was it a bad episode.

I thought it would be cool to have an anthology horror story but not only was it filled with the worst of Butch Hartman( they even sneak in some Crockers mom stuff) the 1st and 3rd story were basically the same thing at least with RG horror specials each character gets to tell their own story FOP missed out on having character such as AJ or Chester tell there own story and have new or different characters

19. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

Well... uh... heh...

I didn't watch a single one aside from Jerk of all Trades and whatever Sparky poo it had paired with it. Also, I gave a quick watch to that Catman one when it was posted on Nick.com, it was awful. I even missed today's, and its premise sounded like it had a tad slight miniscule bit of promise, yet since no one is here raving about any of the episodes I suppose I missed nothing much.

Probably won't watch any of the ones next week either, they all sound equally terrible or just recycled plots like "Timmy wishes away all women". Suppose I won't be alone either, since the ratings are rock bottom. This season has been so bad that I wonder if its some sort of Parthian shot from Hartman to Nickelodeon. I mean we got Sparky, and Missy, and Catman being voiced by a scrub, and Poof getting a voice then disappearing, and the more obvious than usual continuity errors involving every single character they made an episode about, and the biggest and most important issue has been the jokes just haven't been funny, just lazy and endless pop culture, you cannot count on your hands and toes how many Scooby Doo and Star Wars parodies they had in this premiere month alone. Hartman has failed fans both old and new alike with this season, and its very hard to believe it wasn't intentional, even his worst has never been this bad.

Also one more note, Desperate Without Housewives and Love at First Bark are on Nick.com. More of the same bottle episodes, the second being entirely about Timmy's Dad/Crocker/Timmy/Cosmo having a guy's night out together except, what a surprise, everything went wrong within minutes and they never leave a single room. Poof appears in both, but does not utter a word. It's so obvious that too many magic granters is too much for this show to handle, when Sparky and Poof seem to just disappear from episodes with no explanation simply to keep the plot from being wished to normalcy too quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  20. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

I don't know why my previous post got deleted... If it's because I mentioned Desperate Without Housewives and its other pairing, I mean they are available for watching on the official Nickelodeon site.

But yeah... horrid episodes, once again. In fact, Desperate Without Housewives may be another contender for worst episode of the series.

I missed Friday's episode, but I was told that they didn't even get Sanjay's character design right, and AJ and Chester had less lines than some random again and probably weren't voiced by the normal guys.

Hartman, and whoever else got it in their head that Timmy's Dad and Mr. Crocker and his mother are the most hilarious characters ever, just stop.