The End of AIM Chats - One More Final: We Need You

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by veemonjosh, Mar 11, 2016.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

As some of our older members that are still around may remember, a group of us held a long running series of unofficial Toon Zone chats on AIM back in the day. Technically those never ended (we just stopped promoting it and recently moved to another service), but the other day, former TZ member J'onn Jonzz received this message from AIM:

[​IMG]

This isn't a well-known thing (hence why no one has batted an eye), but the newer versions of AIM do not support group chat rooms, just one-on-one chatting. J'onn has the most recent version of AIM that did, but that is being discontinued on March 15th.

Thus, we have proposed doing one last TZ AIM chat on Monday, March 14th for any members of the old guard who want to share their memories of the chats, or if you just want to pay respect to AIM chatrooms in general. So if you happen to also have a version of AIM that still works with group chats or if you have Trillian, we'll be in "thefinaltzchat".

2. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Edit: The chat has ended. As the message foretold, at around 40 minutes past midnight, the AIM chat servers began to shut down and disconnected people permanently from the chatroom. It would seem that the chatrooms of AOL Instant Messenger are indeed going the way of the dodo.

Thank you to those who did make it to this chat. We had a nice even 12 person turn-out with a number of old faces from Toon Zone's past.

#2 veemonjosh, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

It really is the end of an era. Starting from the initial chat (Me, Colin, Gwen, Kury, True Noir, and Red Giant) to the one that grew out of it. A lot of ups and downs and I wasn't around for most of it, no thanks to the Sam-Tony disaster and then getting stalked by creeps on AIM (in fact I've hardly used the program in the past 5 years). RIP AIM Chats and in a lot of ways RIP Toon Zone Gated Community.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Didn't see this until it was too late. I don't remember being in very many of the chats and I'm sure I said a lot of dumb things in the ones I showed up in. Though not nearly as many dumb things as Kury said (and she would agree were she here).

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Skype has filled AIM's void.

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

That's a good way to end of the year.