1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The DTV Disney sequels are canonical or not?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Juaco VTX7, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I'm under the impression that any Disney instalment just does it's own thing now. What is 'canon' Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh exactly. They've run these guys for so long and with high billing it's hard to centre a specific film as the 'true' rendition. Even when Disney promote the next instalment as a 'return to it's roots' it still often ends up having it's styles and liberties taken (the modern Mickey shorts are WILDLY different from the old ones in style, while the one Pooh sequel made by their Feature studio still makes some style and personality changes).

It certainly doesn't help that Walt and most other people that made the original films are now long gone, either dead or retired or otherwise gone from the studio, so the guys making the new stuff are pretty much who decide what becomes of the franchise besides some Disney executives.

The Lion King isn't a great example, EVERY instalment they've made contradicts the others in some way and makes up new plots or characters that don't quite make sense with how the others pan out (eg. Kion and the Outsiders coming out of nowhere).

Basically whether something will be kept up in any new instalments depends on whether the current creators feel like reusing it.

Yeah, in general, what often gets billed the most is the original cast and story, likely because that is the most iconic and recognisable. For a while for example, Lumpy the Heffalump was being promoted heavily despite being in a Disneytoons sequel, Disney obviously thought he was marketable for merchandise, but ultimately the movie and the character didn't seem to take so since not much Pooh stuff uses him anymore, now it's mostly just the original cast plastered everywhere besides the odd toy here and there (he did get a POP! figurine over Rabbit or Owl though).

There are some things I can see them using out of convenience. Concerning Bambi, I suppose if they ever did ANOTHER flashback instalment (which is likely if they resurrect the franchise, because they almost solely market the fawn version of Bambi), they might be willing to reuse Ronno's fawn design from the midquel, or have Patrick Stewart come back as the Great Prince, but maybe less out of respect and acknowledgement for the second film but more 'We have those things handy, why NOT use them?'. If they could think up what they consider a cooler alternative, they might be disregarded or contradicted.

Again the Lion Guard reuses elements from the first movie and even the sequels WHEN IT'S HANDY. Kiara and the Outsiders are referenced, but likely to cash in on fans of the film series and help with story material for a ongoing show. Kion however does not reflect the continuity of any other instalment, his name, design and personality for example do not reflect Kopa from the comics (much like Kiara doesn't) because they think their own character is better and more marketable.

#21 ToonReel, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It makes sense in regards they want to capitalize more on popular movies/characters. Having a TV take place before certain events allows them to expand on the characters, the setting and provide some new stories to tell. It can feel kind of weird when we basically know how those stories end. Rapunzel and Eugene get married. Ariel marries Eric and Hercules stays on Earth with Meg instead of becoming a god, but showing what happened before all of that can be appealing to fans of the movies.

It's really not surprising when you look up what actually happened to Pocahontas and how John Rolfe really thought of her. Unsurprisingly, it wasn't the fairy tale romance that Disney presented in sequel. I don't know if they have that much merchandise focus on Pocahontas due to how that movie wasn't particularly successful.

I thought that Kopa was from unofficial material, so he was never "canon". That's what I've heard when that character has come up.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I'm pretty sure that was deliberate (the producers have said as much) and we'll find out why they did that as the series goes on. I am also pretty sure this means that the producers are envisioning a definitive series finale at some point.