1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Disney Afternoon Collection" Announced (6 NES Games); 4/18 on PS4, Xbox One, PC

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tommy Lawson, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From Polygon, Disney and Capcom have announced The Disney Afternoon Collection for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, being released on April 18, with ports of the following 6 NES games:

Ducktales
    Ducktales 2
    Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
    Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
    Tale Spin
    Darkwing Duck

Oddly, the Nintendo Switch is not listed. Ducktales is an often requested third party game for the NES Classic, so it's good to see it being officially re-released in some form, although I'm sure some are upset it is not on a Nintendo platform.

For the moment, this is being released on digital only. The recently released HD quality episodes of some of these shows would make a great addition for a disc release.

Here's a trailer for it, using an 8-bit version of the Disney Afternoon theme (some places did not get that theme back then, if the shows were aired separately on different channels):

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Switch? Wii U? 3DS? If Capciom were to announce it for one of these (whether it's this collection, or even the individual games for the Virtual Console), then I would think about it at least.Otherwise, I'm having nothing to do with it, since (and I'm sorry if this sounds severe, or even melodramatic) it spits on their origins as Nintendo Entertainment System games, and even then, I would only be getting it/them for Disney's sake, not Capcom's. I just REALLY hope (beyond hope, even) that Capcom doesn't just throw this collection at everyone, like they did with their so-called Mega Man "Legacy" Collection (which I'm told has emulation problems, among other things)...

3. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I'm wondering if the lack of a Switch version is the result of Capcom wanting Nintendo to release the Virtual Console for that system first as to not steal their thunder in terms of NES games on the Switch (especially when you consider how Rescue Rangers would easily be the type of game that would demonstrate the various ways you could play two-player games on the system).

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is going to be really good, as it's coming from the same crew that put out the well-received Mega Man Legacy collection. I never did experience the sequel games, so I'd grab this for that alone. The museum feature could be fun, presumably there will be a good amount of concept art related to the cartoons and stuff.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

So, in other words, GWOtaku, you're saying that Digital Eclipse (or rather "Backbone Entertainment") is behind this collection? As in, the company whose recent emulated classic games (including, again, the Mega Man games in the Legacy Collection) have had various emulation problems?

Oh dear...

6. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

What emulation problems did that Mega Man collection have?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk