1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disney Adventures Archive

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by J. B. Warner, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Hey, nice way to spoil the endings of my girl, batman returns, and honey i blew up the kid, DA! And were SNL reruns REALLY that popular with kids? Even if they liked waynes world, the rest of the content either went WAYYY over their heads or was too vulgar (the 93-94 season alone included stuff like canteen boy, martin lawrence's x-rated monolauge, and countless michael jackson jokes).

2. TomatoSpud

TomatoSpud Resistance is futile

Huh. Mickey and Minnie's houses look really similar in both versions...
    I've never been to Disneyland, though. :p

3. SuperDudeX

SuperDudeX Active Member

I find it hilarious that they actually mentioned beer on a Disney product.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That little comment was mine. Everything actually on the page is in italics.

5. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

I said I'd post this one, but MAN, what a doozy it was.

Here is August 31, 1997: a Special Collector's Issue, and one of my all-time favorites. It's all about HOT pop culture in 1997 (because, let's face it, 1997 rules), and it's so jam-packed with good stuff that I had a hard time figuring out what all to post on here.

[​IMG]
    You'll notice that there's an unusual type of cover for this issue. It's in stark contrast to any other DA cover before or after it; I think it might be the only non-posed cover photograph in the mag's history.

[​IMG]
    I might have already said it, but the only regular features in this issue were the "Hello" page, the Comix Zone, and the "next month" page. Everything else was about what's HOT, grouped by category.

Notice the [strike]Pussycat Dolls[/strike] Spice Girls in the corner there. Man, how things have changed.

[​IMG]
    In the movies/TV section, they had, uh, Tate Donovan ranking the best villains. And does anyone still remember a time when Rosie O'Donnell was actually liked?

[​IMG]
    I had to scan in the whole music section just due to the sheer epic-ness. This is pure 1997, man.

Of note:
    • Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill: Once again, DA promoted something that little kids should absolutely NEVER listen to (someone at DA must have really loved that album, because they were ALWAYS talking it up).
    • Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise": see above, although the whole gangsta message didn't really rub off on small-city white kids such as myself.
    • Nirvana's Nevermind was still popular enough for even DA to still list it in 1997; kids nowadays don't know six-year-old mainstream pop culture from a hole in the ground.
    • TLC's Crazysexycool: It blew my 11-year-old mind seeing the word "sexy" in a kids' magazine.

[​IMG]
    When I was a kid, I thought "Squirrel Nut Zippers" was something dirty. Turns out it's the name of a candy.

And U2's PopMart tour. We have, as a culture, intentionally forgotten it, and we've all moved on with our lives.

Also right here, you might see that I've torn out a subscription card. I NEVER did this with any of my other issues...more on that in a little bit.

[​IMG]
    I think this is one of my favorite pages in this issue. Thanks to this, I'm able to identify bug splats on car trips. It's not a popular talent of mine.

[​IMG]
    They put a "Best Factory Tour" sidebar inside the "Best Bike Gizmos" subsection. I don't know why.

My mother went to Louisville one time and took the factory tour. I still have the souvenir bat on my desk.

[​IMG]
    Right here was some kind of insert on cardstock; I think it went with the HP ad. For some reason I haphazardly tore it (and the subscription card I mentioned earlier) out of the magazine and threw them away, even though I'd never done that to an issue of DA before or since. It made the issue much easier to deal with.

[​IMG]
    Just a bit of Internet nostalgia. Hard to believe there was a time when a reprint of a web address kept the "http" and the "www".

Next up: the "Now It's Your Turn" section, where ordinary kids (like you) determine what's HOT. First up, the DA Junior Reporters:

[​IMG]
    Groundbreaking journalism, guys.

Next up, DA readers:

[​IMG]
    The kid with the SNES controller confused me. I looked through the entire issue...not one mention of the N64. Not even in the video games section. And the N64 had been out for a year by this time, too; in modern terms, it's like still talking about the awesomeness of the Gamecube one year after the Wii's release. It's crazy.

Then, as we know, the Comix Zone had this (I'm hotlinking this from Mars):

[​IMG]
    Mars has already said what needed to be said about them, but I kind of regarded the comic as having wasted potential. Especially when they introduced some of the potential villains in the third installment.

"D&A" wasn't the last time that Disney Adventures tried a comic that intentionally shared the mag's initials; just before my subsciption ran out in the early 00's, they tried Donald Duck out as a superhero named the "Duck Avenger". It was worse.

But hey, at least the first "D&A" had this INSANE final panel:
    [​IMG]
    It's the only comic panel that has both made me laugh and given me nightmares.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the back cover. I loved Waffle Crisp in 1997 (and I'd still love it today if they ever brought it back), so naturally I had a pair of those "Noggle Goggles". They were pretty much (I think) diffraction lenses that sort of made bright colors pop out, and they had a tendency to cause migranes.

[​IMG]
    The outside of the back cover. Again, a Reader's Digest-type ad on a kids magazine, but as a kid I still thought it was interesting to look at.

Overall, though, this issue is pretty cool, and my own scans don't do the whole thing justice. If you're into mid-to-late '90s nostalgia, I'd recommend buying this issue off of eBay if you get the chance.

6. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

As you can see in the corner of the ad (and the fact that Alex Mack is there kinda gives it away, too), the Noggle Goggles (or to give them their proper name, ChromaDepth) were part of a tie-in with Nickelodeon and a special week of shows with segments in 3-D. I seem to recall it working very well- but then again, I think they only did animated shows, so maybe it only works on animation. Either way, much better than that ColorCode stuff NBC used during the Super Bowl this year. (It might work on live-action, though- Googling "Noggle Goggles" to find out the proper name of the brand led me to an outdated version of ChromaDepth's site reading "Want to see Batman and Robin in 3-D? Well, now you can!" I think even with an added dimension it would still be disappointing.)

It's strange, but there actually WAS a time where Rosie O'Donnell was respected, back when she had her own talk show and was often referred to in the press as "The Queen of Nice." It was Rosie in particular who helped boost sales of Tickle Me Elmo and turn it into the must-buy Christmas toy of 1996. How she eventually evolved into a loudmouth who blogs in beatnik poetry, I have no idea.

I was obsessed with the pachycepholosaurus as a kid after seeing an animatronic one in an exibit about dinosaurs. Something about its head endeared itself to me- besides the thick skull mentioned on the other side of the missing subscription card, its skin had a series of lumps around the edge of the top of its head leading up to the top of its thick-skulled head. I called them "Lumpy" for some reason.

I once heard someone say that two items do not make a list- and looking at some of these lists, I'm inclined to agree. But then again, they shouldn't really be lists in the first place, because it's an either-or decision- you can either channel-surf or watch a single show. You can either sit in the back of a car or the front (while dreaming of the day you can finally sit in the driver's seat). Kids may have more choices in many things in 2009 than they did in 1997, but some things are eternal. As this issue proves, pop culture isn't one of them.

7. TomatoSpud

TomatoSpud Resistance is futile

I wonder if any of those websites are still up. I'd love to check out that Tokyo one.

8. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I just got a bunch of issues from late 1997, and I have a few things to say about October, so here we go!

[​IMG]
    There's a neat feature on the Hello page this month where they finally tell you the whole process that goes into these "celebrity and Disney toon" covers. Good timing, too, 'cause after April 1998 (Matt LeBlanc and Buzz Lightyear), we never saw this cover format again.

[​IMG]
    Look, I don't care how much nacho flavor you cram into a bag of Chee-tos, it is impossible to make twig-shaped corn chips "awesome".

[​IMG]
    "You slammed her! You dunked her donut! You gave her dog a Snausage! YOU STUFFED HER LIKE A THANKSGIVING TURKEY!"
    Fun for the whole family.

[​IMG]
    It's October, so here's the fall preview for the 1997-1998 TV season. Which, judging by some of the shows in here, was one of the most mediocre seasons in TV history. This being Disney Adventures and all, we get four whole pages dedicated to the return of "The Wonderful World of Disney" to ABC. I never watched TWWOD, as I like to call it, but I still saw every lame made-for-TV movie mentioned in this article - the Disney Channel aired the heck out of them in the late '90s and early '00s.

[​IMG]
    I never hear Turtles fans talk about "Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation". There's probably a reason for that.
    Poor Weird Al. We all know what happened with this show, don't we?

[​IMG]
    But the real historical event is right here. This is the fall 1997 season, which means that this was the year that One Saturday Morning premiered and beat the everloving snot out of Kids' WB. But then again, Kids' WB didn't have much to offer this season ("Channel Umptee-3"; "The Legend of Calamity Jane"; seven year old "Tiny Toons" reruns; they had "Captain Planet", for God's sake). Doug, Pepper Ann, and Spinelli owned Saturday mornings this year. Pinky and the Brain were as good as dead.

[​IMG]
    Yes, there was once a time when Ray J was renowned for his music-making ability. Nowadays, he's more well-known for turning Kim Kardashian into a...(ahem) "superstar".

[​IMG]
    Can they print that in a kids' magazine?

[​IMG]
    This is how every World Series looks to me too. Oh, and the Baltimore Orioles did go all the way that year, if by "Baltimore Orioles" they mean "Florida Marlins".

[​IMG]
    I'd forgotten about "Quack Pack" until now. I was happy. (For those who don't remember, it was Disney's attempt to do for Donald Duck what "Goof Troop" did for Goofy. It didn't work.)

[​IMG]
    Notice the odd layout on this "Bone" page? This is the part I mentioned earlier where they cut out some implied nudity. In the unaltered version, Thorn disrobes for a bath in the spring, and Fone Bone nearly has a nervous breakdown when she asks him to scrub her back. (Wouldn't you?)

[​IMG]
    There's a hidden message in this maze. Gosh, I wonder what it could be.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They overused "celeb" in this issue. That term has always sounded icky to me. I know what a "celebrity" is, but a "celeb" sounds like an ugly growth on someone's foot. Some things shouldn't be abbreviated.

OH YES THERE IS.
    You can't even talk about this show at all around Peter Laird or he'll lose it.

Oh, you did NOT just say that. Are you looking for a fight?

10. J. B. Warner

Ah, as soon as I re-read that paragraph, I knew you'd misinterpret it. I was trying to convey the point that One Saturday Morning only dominated Kids' WB in the ratings, and WB's double-shot of mediocre new programs and reruns of old programs probably wasn't doing much to draw new viewers that year (in their defense, they still had "Animaniacs" and the last good season of "Pinky and the Brain", as well as "Batman" and the premiere of "Men In Black: TAS"). Personally, though, I still would have watched Kids' WB if I received it in 1997. A rerun of "Tiny Toons" beats a new "Recess" any day of the week.

Still, One Saturday Morning's successful first season was not good news for Kids' WB in any way. You of all people should remember that it was basically responsible for "Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain" the following year. (But it was all moot once Kids' WB got "Pokémon" and drove every other Saturday morning block into an anime frenzy.)

11. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

"D.A.'s Dish" explains the basic reason why all us Turtles fans pretend it never existed...

It's like...you can't even argue that Venus was put in because of a lack of a female team member, because April could've fit that role perfectly (oh, the wasted potential they had by delaying her appearance to the unproduced second season...). Venus had no place in the show, she messed with the sacred "no female turtles" rule of the mythos, and overall just gave us one of the blandest stereotypical asian characters to ever grace television.

At least Omi from Xiaolin Showdown made the same "mess up common western sayings" character quirk funny.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No it wasn't. "Elmyra" was in planning for longer than a year. Don't forget "Pinky and the Brain and Larry", making fun of the network's future plans, aired in 1997.

13. mobo85

For the hoops they had to jump through, The Weird Al Show wasn't that bad. The DVD that Shout Factory put out is a must-rent (or buy, if you are so inclined)- not only for the show itself, but the audio commentaries, in which Weird Al and company comment about dealing with the network censors and fitting the FCC-mandated educational lesson into each episode while still trying to make it funny. A difficult task, but they seemed to be able to do it.

Even though very few remember it, Channel Umptee-3 was pretty good, if I recall. Not suprising, since it was concieved by the talented Mark Evanier, who's written for everything from Garfield and Friends to Groo the Wanderer.

The Ninja Turtles just celebrated their 25th in New York- not surprisingly, Venus De Milo was nowhere to be seen.

As for ABC, there is indeed no denying that Disney's One Saturday Morning was the block to beat. Although now incredibly dated, one of the few amusing Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain episodes spoofed that rival block, complete with Pinky doing a parody of Paul Rugg's "Manny the Uncanny" character. (I had forgotten about the "Mrs. Munger's Class" interstitials- the creator had actually used his real class picture and his fellow student were angry at how they were depicted, eventually killing the segments.)

I'm surprised the ex-Simpsoners mentioned as staffers on Teen Angel are Al Jean and Mike Reiss- I didn't think they had done anything outside of the Simpsons other than the shorts they created for the now-defunct Icebox.com, including Jesus and His Brothers (Jean), Hard-Drinkin' Lincoln, and Queer Duck (both Reiss). Jean is, of course, once again working with the Simpsons, overseeing them as they celebrate their landmark 20th season and will soon grace American postage stamps.

"The New York Yankees jumped for joy after winning it all last season"- and after doing it three more times, they'd suprisingly not win one again for eight years and counting. If you told someone in 1997 that in the first decade of the 21st century, not only would the Yankees end up losing to two Florida teams (one of which didn't even exist at the time), but the Boston Red Sox would end up winning two World Series, they'd probably think you were joking.

14. J. B. Warner

Dang, I'm really comin' off bad in this conversation, aren't I?

15. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

The other day, my mother was watching some ABC Family movie starring Melissa Joan Hart. The actress hasn't aged much in twelve years.

I remember that "Safety Patrol" movie; it was actually pretty amusing. If memory serves, it was also packed full of minor celebrity cameos (Weird Al, Leslie Nielsen, Ed McMahon, John Walsh). The last time I saw Bug Hall in anything, he was out-acting Lindsay Lohan in some forgettable Disney Channel movie.

It's also great seeing the "One Saturday Morning" ad. Paul Rugg as Manny the Uncanny, and Mrs. Munger's Class...man, how I miss those. Although I still think it's funny that OSM claimed to be "five hours of summer once a week" and yet they showed cartoons about kids going to school.
    DA was CONSTANTLY editing Bone. Besides this scene, they also edited the scene where Thorn removes her leggings to wade in the hot springs, and they blanked out her cleavage for the scene where the red dragon returns her home after the rat creature attack. But they didn't start editing out the dragon's cigarette until Bone returned to DA in 1997; for some reason the dragon still smoked in the 1994 reprints.

16. J. B. Warner

Well, I guess he needed the cigarette for the "You got a light?" scene to make sense. (See part two in May 1994.) Of course, it could also be that people got more uptight between '94 and '97.

If I recall, they also changed some dialogue here and there. Every instance of "Oh my God" was changed to "Oh my gosh" (same deal with Phoney Bone's "God, I pity me"), and in the chapter where Phoney reunites with Smiley at the Barrelhaven, every occurrence of the word "beer" was changed to the more family-friendly "drink".

17. Mark Evanier

Mark Evanier New Member

ME: I'd be proud to claim credit for creating Channel Umptee-3 but it was invented by a brilliant gent named Jim George. I was just the guy they hired to come in, work with Jim and story-edit/voice-direct.

That was a fun show to work on. Wish it had been around longer.

18. J. B. Warner

Aw man, now I feel really bad about bringing up the whole One Saturday Morning vs. Kids' WB thing. Let's just move on, shall we?

[​IMG]
    Here's my rather worn-out copy of February 1998, complete with dog-eared corners, ripped edges, and a weird unidentified postal stamp smack-dab in the middle of the cover. Odd when you consider I have issues from 1992, 1993, and 1994 that are in better shape than this.

[​IMG]
    Did Disney really have so little faith in Hercules that they felt it necessary to sell it exclusively via butt jokes?

[​IMG]
    Not exactly Criswell, these kids. I honestly can't decide which of these predictions is more laughable. (Oh, who am I kidding, the Rosie O'Donnell one wins hands down.)

[​IMG]
    At this point, I've pretty much lost count of how many times DA talked to R.L. Stine over the years. By the time this interview came along, "Goosebumps" had turned into "Goosebumps: Series 2000". It was supposed to be scarier than the previous series, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

[​IMG]
    Yes, kids, there was once a time when Cartoon Network actually aired all the cartoons on this page. Shocking, I know!
    I got all the Looney Tunes drawing guides, but they didn't help me at all. These things were only beneficial if you wanted to draw the characters' heads at one specific angle every time, because they only offered one head template and didn't tell you how to draw the body. Oh, and I couldn't figure out how the acetate overlays were supposed to work - do you trace them? Do you rub them off? What? (I think this was about the time when I lost my faith in How To Draw books.)

[​IMG]
    Only one of the five groups on this page actually achieved mainstream success. Guess which one it was.

[​IMG]
    Heh, just when you'd forgotten about the crappy Blues Brothers sequel! When this movie came out, I hadn't seen the original Blues Brothers yet, so I decided not to see the sequel to a film I was unfamiliar with. A few years later, upon actually viewing The Blues Brothers, I still didn't want to see the sequel - the original movie is perfect the way it is.

[​IMG]
    I collected Planet Lunch tokens like crazy in 1998...and I never actually cashed them in for anything. My sister did, though - she got a water bottle and a tiny safe where she'd store her hair barrettes and stuff. "I still remember the combination! Three."

[​IMG]
    All I'll say about this page is, at first glance, I didn't think that was a leech.

[​IMG]
    And all I'll say about this Hercules comic is that Cosme Quartieri draws one smokin' hot Megara. I was 11 when I first read this, and even then I went "Yow".

[​IMG]
    Here's that infamous Barrelhaven scene I mentioned earlier. Turns out the editing's even more kiddie-fied than I remember. It's especially laughable a few pages later, when the "soda" is identified as "root beer" and Lucius still refers to it as his "best brew".
    Oh, and speaking of "Bone"...

[​IMG]
    This was the exact point when I realized that Jeff Smith's work just didn't fit the tone of Disney Adventures.

[​IMG]
    I didn't get the WB for a long time when I was a kid. Throughout the late '90s, I received Kids' WB through a UPN affiliate, but in early 2000, they switched to other syndicated programming, and "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids: The TV Show" took the 10:00 AM Saturday timeslot. Believe me, when you turn on the TV on Saturday morning expecting to watch "Pokémon" and instead you get this...well, let's just say I was not a happy camper that day.

19. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The drawing of Tom running away with Rosie is the funniest thing I've seen all week. That's even better than the Hank Hill thing linked to in the YouTube topic.

The expression on Phoney's face when he sees Smiley is still one of my favorite of Smith's expressions. So much is caught in that face.

I didn't know SO MANY boy bands showed up at the same time as N*SYNC....I mean, until N*SYNC caught on, boy bands weren't as popular yet, and it had been a long time since NKOTB. (By the way, NKOTB is back. Why, I don't know. I don't think thirtysomething women are going to fawn over them as heavily.)

Now you need to review the 100th Mulan issue, just for the drawing of Scully Spice (which I used as an avatar once). You can't un-see stuff like that.

There is a planned "Shrunk TV Series" expose planned for this site in the future. Look forward to that.

Am I crazy, or was Norman Lear in the credits for that show as well?

20. mobo85

I have no idea what Compugen of Windsor, Ontario is or why they have their name stamped on that magazine.

"Weird Al" Yankovic was actually good friends with Hanson and actually directed one of their music videos. Nothing to do with anything, but it's interesting.

Thanks to the popularity of Goosebumps reruns on Cartoon Network, R.L. Stine actually picked up his pen and brought back many of the series's famous characters in a new miniseries called "Goosebumps Horrorland."

Both. I checked IMDb, and Lear was indeed an executive producer on the series. (Welcome to the madness, Mark!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.