1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disney Adventures Archive

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by J. B. Warner, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Uh oh. I loved HISTK the TV Series as a kid. I haven't seen it in years, though.

I guess what was left of my cherished childhood memories will soon be destroyed as well :sweat:...

2. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

I actually had that Taz booklet, believe it or not....like I said earlier, I ate a TON of Waffle Crisp in the late 90s. Somehow I actually managed to draw a pretty good rendering of Taz using nothing but that booklet and some pastels.

The overlay went with the outline of Taz's head, if I remember right. You were supposed to make up your own Taz expressions that way. Or something.

DA's trimming and editing aside, Tom Luth's colorizations of Bone for DA were WAYYY better than the officially colorized "Out From Boneville" paperback that Cartoon Books put out a while back. There's just no comparison.

3. SuperDudeX

SuperDudeX Active Member

[quote=[B]J. B. Warner[/b]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/JB86/298_03.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

That Trek/Wars prediction is pure [B][COLOR=red]blasphemy[/COLOR][/B].

...and yet...full of win.

#183 SuperDudeX, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  4. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Well, this is certainly an interesting development. I recently bought December 1998 and December 1999 off eBay, but they came as part of the same lot - a lot that also included two other issues that come from the 2000s, the period of the magazine's history that I'm not collecting. But I figure as long as I've got 'em, why not put them to good use?

[​IMG]
    October 2003! My subscription stopped in 2002, right around the Lilo and Stitch issue, so I had never read this issue before. What wonders await us inside, hmm?

[​IMG]
    What the-- how long was "Recess" on the air, anyway?
    Also, I'm sure there's some sort of metaphor in Raven-Symone literally tearing through the rest of the shows to take front-and-center here.

[​IMG]
    I dunno, call me uncultured, but I just don't get Dav Pilkey.

[​IMG]
    I still think the reason Homer won that survey was because that's what British people think Americans are really like.
    "I'm an Avril Fool"? They do know it's pronounced "AVE-rill" and not "AYVE-rill", right?

[​IMG]
    I can't imagine why Looney Tunes: Back In Action flopped with marketing campaigns like this. I mean, they had the string cheese market cornered!

[​IMG]
    In 2003, people were already complaining that cartoons weren't as good as they were in the 1990s. But I don't know, I'd still watch a lot of the shows on this page. There's "Duck Dodgers", and there's...uh...um...well, there's "Duck Dodgers"!

[​IMG]
    Gosh, kinda makes me disappointed that I missed October 2002. "Battle for the Remote 1" must have been epic.

[​IMG]
    "Oh, Daniel, this has been the most romantic night of my life! I love you!"
    "Yeah, me too...aw score, I just got an extra life!"

[​IMG]
    "Oh, one more question: what's all that barking coming from your basement?"

[​IMG]
    I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Hair Pair. These guys appeared at the front of every single Comics Zone at this point. Mars seems to have an attachment to them, and I remember them being pretty funny in the handful of entries I can recall. This one? Eh.

[​IMG]
    Oh boy! It's Kid Blasto-- uh, Gravity!
    Kid Apocalypse clearly shops at the same store as Dib from "Invader ZIM".

[​IMG]
    There's a neat-looking Finding Nemo comic here too, but even though it's set after the events of the movie, Marlin is still just as neurotic as he was at the beginning of the movie. This wasn't the only time this sort of thing happened - there's a Toy Story comic from 1996 set in Andy's new house where Buzz still talks in Space Ranger speak. It's quite confusing.

[​IMG]
    I'm not going to dignify this with a response.

[​IMG]
    Had the childhood obesity epidemic already struck by 2003? I wouldn't think you'd be able to advertise Twinkies on the back of a kids' magazine in this day and age. Still, who doesn't enjoy a good beaver-crushing joke?

5. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

I didn't realize that ABC's "let's-just-stuff-our-Saturday-Morning-lineup-with-shows-we-already-own" practice started so early. This became the norm for most of the major networks- NBC inked a deal with Discovery Communications to show their programs on Saturday Morning, CBS showed Nickelodeon shows until they split from Viacom, and ABC is still showing Disney-owned programming to this day. And That's So Raven is still there.

The British "greatest American" poll wasn't that unusual- coming in after Homer were such well-known beloved Americans as Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Thomas Jefferson, and Mr. T. Okay, maybe it was a little unusual. D'oh!

How appropriate for Cinco de Mayo that you post an issue that has an interview with Ron Mexico in it.

I honestly stopped following the comics in Disney Adventures, even though I would glance at the rest of the issue when it was on newsstands, but some of the later developments intrigued me: towards the end of the magazine's run, DA became a bi-monthly magazine, alternating with reprints of some of their comics under the name "Disney Adventures Comics Zone." (Not an unusual development- I believe early on in the magazine's run, Disney Comics published some digest-sized books collecting some of the comics that ran in the magazine.) Some of the other developments in the comics never came to be: one issue of Comics Zone promised an almost-mangaesque High School Musical comic that ended up being printed in Disney's official HSM magazine after DA went belly-up (an official magazine so well-researched, they actually misspelled one of the cast members' names in the first issue). On the other side of the coin, a cute little strip featuring Statler, Waldorf, and Fozzie Bear appeared in DA's very last issue. It was to be the first in a series of comics featuring Disney's newest property, but as the magazine went under, nothing happened. Thankfully, as part of their license with Disney, the artist, Roger Langridge, is now doing a monthly Muppet Show comic for BOOM! Studios which captures the spirit of the classic syndicated variety show perhaps better than anything done after Jim Henson's death. If you are a Muppet fan, you must buy this comic (if you can find it- it's apparently selling like hotcakes, with the second issue selling out before it even went to press)- you won't be disappointed.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That comic with the kid in space is sad. The writer is clearly bending over backwards to relate to a world he doesn't remember anymore, by constantly throwing in references to homework and lunch money.

Nuts, your collection ends at the Lilo and Stitch issue too? By coincidence, so does mine. I don't have the issue before it, though, which came out before the movie and has Lilo and Stitch in separate prequel stories. The most interesting thing is, I got the 2-disc DVD and it turns out the Lilo comic (where she scares some tourists) was based on a deleted scene from the movie!

7. J. B. Warner

Well, my old collection ended in 2002, the one my sister threw away when I moved out. My current eBay-bought collection starts at the beginning, hits a few big gaps in 1991 and 1998, and ends with December 1999 (I should probably get that Music 1999 issue too, come to think of it). I was thinking about going all the way and collecting every issue, but I know it's just going to turn into a quagmire of Miley Cyrus and Zac Efron towards the end.

8. Dynamite XI

My biggest problem with DA after the cover format change was that EVERY SINGLE COVER looked the same. Each of the older covers, by contrast, were more individualized, and they gave the individual issue its own personality. To this day you can still mention the Macaulay Culkin/Mickey cover or the MC Hammer/Darkwing cover, and have kind of a mental image in your mind of that particular issue.

After the change, though, it was a constant hodgepodge of teeny-bopper celebs, all the same Disney or Nickelodeon cartoon characters, etc., and you simply couldn't tell each issue apart. Case in point: I was looking for the final issue of DA, Nov. 2007, on eBay a while back (I'd like to post it on here, but it's impossible to find a copy), and I nearly purchased the wrong one because of a similar Ratatouille-themed cover.

9. dlmx-13

dlmx-13 Member

I have a couple of these - "Colossal Comics Collection," right? I believe some of the stories contained in those were actually reprints from European albums.

I haven't managed to get ahold of this comic yet, but I love Roger Langridge - I got a sketch from him at a recent UK comic convention.

10. J. B. Warner

Things are looking good for my collection - I only need twelve more issues before it's complete! Here's all that's left for me to collect:

- June 1991 (Bronson Pinchot and the Rescue Rangers)*
    - July 1991 (The Rocketeer)**
    - August 1991 (Hulk Hogan)*
    - October 1991 (Neil Patrick Harris and Huey, Dewey, and Louie)*
    - November 1991 (Michael Jordan)*
    - December 1991 (Paula Abdul)*
    - January 1992 (MC Hammer and Darkwing Duck)*
    - August 1998 (The Top 13 Greatest Thrill Rides)
    - September 1998 ("Recess")
    - October 1998 (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen)*
    - November 1998 (The Lion King II: Simba's Pride)**
    - Music 1999 (The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, and N'Sync)*

* means it's available on eBay
    ** means it's available on eBay, but only as part of a larger lot containing issues I already own

As for the issues that aren't available on eBay, does anyone here have them, and if so, are you willing to part ways with them?

UPDATE: I just found and bought January through April 1991 from eBay, and I was able to locate the other missing 1991 issues. The last of 1998 still eludes me, though...

#190 J. B. Warner, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  11. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Do you have the special issue that was available as a mail-in from Kellogg's cereal (I believe the cover date was something like "Summer 1990"- it had DuckTales characters on the cover)? Even though it wasn't an "official" newsstand issue, as a kid I considered it to be the first issue of the magazine. I have no idea how much it goes for nowadays.

Somewhere in the archives that is known as my house is an old picture of me posing next to a stack of every Disney Adventures magazine up to whenever the picture was taken. It was meant to be sent into the magazine, but for some reason, I never did. I think it's still around- I'll have to see if I still have it. The stack was almost as tall as I was, if I remember correctly.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You're gonna love the April '91 Weird Al interview. I can't believe he thought up all his crazy answers right there on the spot. That's one talented man.

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I have an issue from Fall of 1992 that's hyping Goof Troop, with all sorts of articles on the show. I remember getting this at Burger King. Was this issue only sold there, or was it on stands?

14. J. B. Warner

I think that's a promotional issue that was available exclusively at the restaurant. I remember having that one too when I was a kid - and now that I have all these older issues, I realize that it was only about 25% new material. It recycled the Macaulay Culkin interview from September 1991, the fan art page from June 1992, and a "TaleSpin" comic from November 1990, among other things.

I haven't seen it on eBay. Somebody's currently selling another Burger King promo issue (this one's from 1993 and it's for the premiere of "Bonkers"), but I didn't bother to bid on it - I'm only collecting the "official" issues.

15. J. B. Warner

To keep this thread from getting too huge, I think it'd be wise to put a 200-post limit on it and start a new thread once we surpass that, like we do with the YouTube threads. And so, to bring this one to a close, here by popular demand is the landmark 100th issue, July 1998!

[​IMG]
    DA always seemed to have good timing when it came to their landmark issues - both #50 and #100 ended up containing previews for the premieres of two new pieces of Disney animation ("Gargoyles" and Mulan, respectively). Corporate synergy wins again!

[​IMG]
    Must...not...make...Lindsay...Lohan...joke...

[​IMG]
    If you're shocked to see "The Simpsons" in the Not column, keep in mind that the show was between its ninth and tenth seasons at this point. Still, the worst episode of "The Simpsons" is still better than "Moesha".

[​IMG]
    Um, hi. DA? It's me. Look, uh, Armageddon? Not a kids' movie. 'Kay? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    This actually came in handy for me during the summer of 1998. No, I didn't get in any fights - I was drawing a comic story that made use of kung-fu in the plot, and I used this article for reference. See? This magazine is educational!

[​IMG]
    Actually, I'm inclined to agree - The X-Files: Fight the Future would have been awesome if we'd seen stuff like this.

[​IMG]
    Mars, this one's for you.

[​IMG]
    This being the big ten-O and everything, we get a retrospective of all 100 Disney Adventures covers from November 1990 to now. (Sorry about the crooked scan, my scanner didn't like this page for some reason - out of the nine tries I made, this one was the straightest.)

[​IMG]
    They had another one of those "win every issue" contests, but I didn't enter it, since I already had about 75 of the 100 issues they were giving away at the time.

[​IMG]
    Sheesh, they could have at least tried to make the fake flavors sound real.

[​IMG]
    Michael Jordan was about to retire again (for serious this time), so they did this look back at his career. I think it was very nice of them to overlook Space Jam.

[​IMG]
    By this time, DA had stopped doing this "adapt the entire movie in comic form" thing, and instead just offered brief little original stories. Unfortunately, compared to the movie, with all its huge Hun battles and fireworks extravaganzas, this comic is really really boring.

[​IMG]
    Jackie Chan makes a surprise guest appearance in the Comics Zone this month, talking about his worst stunts gone wrong. When I first read this, I though "Oh, c'mon, they're making this up!" Nope.

[​IMG]
    Oh, and I didn't watch "The Simpsons" yet in 1998. So all these reprints were completely alien to me. It's nicer to read them now that I know who Captain McCallister actually is.

[​IMG]
    By the way, Mars, if you're ever short on ideas for "Keiki", maybe you can draw some inspiration from this.

16. Dynamite XI

Heh, I remember the very day this one came in the mail.

The spread of the 100 covers is appreciated -- it was right there in the center of the magazine, and that spread in my own copy didn't survive the staple stitching. The rest of the magazine is intact, though, leading to a bit of frustration. (I left it at my parents' house in a pile of ruined DA's; not surprisingly, there are a BUNCH there from the staple era.)

I loved that Gatorade ad back in 1998. Looking at it now, the faux "cookie dough" flavor at the top might have been a nod to a phony commercial from SNL the previous year.

17. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Man, I wish I could've helped you out with your collection, JB; I vaguely recall having most of those 1998 issues you mentioned, but I sold my collection on eBay years ago.

Do they even still make Alpha-bits cereal anymore? One of the few cereals from my childhood I don't recall still seeing in stores.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Boy, Mulan's got cheek. A normal soldier of that era would have stuck her through with his spear after ten seconds of that "I am great and you are not" backtalk.

It's pretty clear the school in Hot and Not was mostly African-American, if those were its tastes. I think someone complained in the next issue that they were wrong about The Simpsons. There was another school that voted Star Wars as "not," and a kid complained about that too -- and he got a drawing of himself in Mailbag at five years old with a runny nose. I always thought that was mean of DA.

Wait, Armageddon isn't a kids movie?

19. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Who the heck was "Ray J" from that hot list? Only "Ray J" i know is Ray J Johnson, and thats because of the Simpsons. And X-files is actually much less kid-friendly than Armageddon.

20. Gonzales

Gonzales Active Member

Yeah, it's still around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.