1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disney Adventures Archive, Part 2

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by J. B. Warner, May 16, 2009.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They also mention "Radio Flyer" on the same page, and seem to omit the part about the movie being about a maniac who beats his children so badly they have to imagine their wagon flies to mentally escape it.

That was a detail Dairy Queen would have also liked to know. They put little Radio Flyers in their kids meals as a tie-in.

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

And now, the special treat I promised everyone. I was looking at September 1, 1995 and September 30, 1995, trying to decide which one to do an article on...and then I thought "Heck, why not do 'em both at the same time?"

[​IMG]
    Take our Pocahontas quiz! C'mon, baby, you know you wanna!

[​IMG]
    So, basically what they're saying here is that Levi's jeans are like wearing a sandwich. Is that right?

[​IMG]
    Knowing the real reason why Bugs Bunny says "What's up, doc?" kinda spoils the joke of this quiz. (For anyone who's wondering, it's a phrase from Tex Avery's childhood.) I did get two of these figurines, actually. The Bugs one is still sitting on top of my dresser as we speak!

[​IMG]
    Despite the name, this video game is not based on Disney Adventures' own Comics Zone. Which is a shame, 'cause it would have been pretty cool to see, like, a SSB-style rumble between all the comic characters. Darkwing Duck and Bonkers D. Bobcat vs. Kid Blastoff and Phoney Bone...that would have been awesome.

[​IMG]
    Oh man, another issue you shouldn't show to the Nostalgia Critic.

[​IMG]
    I really wanted to see The Great Panda Adventure when it came out. Not because I thought it would be fun; on the contrary, it looked terrible. But Warner Bros. released the new Bugs Bunny cartoon "Carrotblanca" in front of it, and that was reason enough for me. Never got the chance, but ten years later, YouTube came through for me.

[​IMG]
    Another example of "Where Were They Then?" Tina Marjorino pretty much dropped off the face of the earth for nine years after Waterworld bombed. Then she did Napoleon Dynamite and everyone went "Where have I seen her before?..."

[​IMG]
    Can't read my, can't read my, no you can't read my Poca face...

[​IMG]
    Behold, the only time you'll ever see the word "sperm" printed in Disney Adventures.

[​IMG]
    Remember, kids, Stephen Bastien says helmets and elbow pads are for losers!

[​IMG]
    You know, why is it so hard for DA's comic artists to draw Jasmine on-model? Nearly every Aladdin comic I've read, she looks suspiciously wonky.
    This story is helped out a lot by being in comic form. It's all about Iago, and even I can only take so much Gilbert Gottfried before my ears just say "I give up."

[​IMG]
    September 1 and September 30 have two multi-part comic stories shared between them. In this one, Max wins a role in a music video with pop singer Taffy 2 Sweet, and is mortified that Goofy might potentially embarrass him in front of his pop culture crush. (Wait a minute, Max is worried that his dad will humiliate him in front of a girl? Where have I heard that before?)
    By the way, who knew that Goofy used to be a hippie? I guess this is what he was up to in the '60s after "Aquamania" was released.

[​IMG]
    The second story is my favorite, though. It's a three-part "Darkwing Duck" mystery involving mind-controlling children's television and magnetic donuts. Trying to explain it would be an exercise in futility - you have to read it to appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    Everyone says Fox Kids was one of the best Saturday morning lineups in the mid '90s. I actually started watching it around this time, though to be honest, I mostly only tuned in for "Goosebumps". I'm kicking myself now for ignoring the cleverness that was "The Tick".

[​IMG]
    How'd he get that thing in there, anyway?

3. J. B. Warner

And now, for part two!

[​IMG]
    Spider-Man! Spider-Man! Does whatever a spider can! Like get cloned by a malevolent hobgoblin, or sell his soul to the devil.
    *BZZ BZZ BZZ*
    Damn you, Continuity Alarm...

[​IMG]
    Hey! Recognize this? Yes, September 1995 was the big launch of Kids' WB, and I was so excited about it...until I realized that my cable provider didn't carry the WB yet. (This was 1995, mind you, when only about three people nationwide got the WB, and they didn't watch it either.) I'm rather disappointed that I missed every episode of "Freakazoid".

[​IMG]
    Man, the kids in Londonderry are real dweebs. Proving once again that poor literacy is kewl.
    (Hey, two Linkara references in one article!)

[​IMG]
    Okay, I won't deny it, this sort of curriculum would make for the best school ever.

[​IMG]
    I've mentioned this before, but A Goofy Movie would have been better if it hadn't been a musical. You don't see enough animated movies about teenagers, but when they're constantly bursting into song, it's hard to take the story seriously.
    If Roxanne didn't have that big round dot of a nose, she'd be pretty hot. Don't try to deny it.

[​IMG]
    If Fox Kids and Kids' WB had the best Saturday morning lineups of 1995, then ABC had the worst. Even "The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" can't make up for the weak offerings on display here. Seriously, a "Madeline" cartoon?

[​IMG]
    I dunno, did kids really need to be introduced to Spider-Man? His story is sort of like common knowledge at this point, don't you think?
    I understand Joe Quesada read this article and then decided to do exactly the opposite of everything it said.

[​IMG]
    This article also tells you how to draw Spidey, and much in the same vein as "How to Draw The Legend of Zelda", they only show you how to do two poses after an extremely rough crash course in character construction. Perspective? What's that?

[​IMG]
    This issue is a milestone - it's Sean Plottner's first appearance as Mr. Adventure! And his first big adventure sees him flying with the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels (not to be confused with the Duke Blue Devils). Between this and that episode of "Mythbusters" where they tried to see if a sonic boom can break glass, these pilots must have tons of free time on their hands.

[​IMG]
    I knew Al Jaffee. Al Jaffee was a good friend of mine. You, sir, are no Al Jaffee.

[​IMG]
    Both parts two and three of the Darkwing Duck story are in this issue, where it's revealed that the mastermind behind this attempt to brainwash the kids of St. Canard is a kangaroo with a prosthetic metal claw for a hand. (Which can apparently shift arms at will, as this page demonstrates.)

[​IMG]
    Oh dear lord, what's he doing to that poor boy?

[​IMG]
    Likewise, here's the conclusion to the "Goof Troop" story, where Max dons fake muscles that melt under the movie lights and Taffy's hair is revealed to be just as phony. There's a lot of vehicles crashing through walls in this issue.

[​IMG]
    You know, in all the "Home Improvement" episodes I saw, the kids were never responsible for Tim's misfortunes; he always brought them on himself. In fact, the kids didn't really do much of anything on the show. What's the point of making them the focus of the advertising? (Also, worst Terminator pun ever.)

[​IMG]
    pffHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    No, no, I'm sorry, but Toaster Strudels are not "kickin'". Nor have they ever been. (But are they froggy?)

4. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

As he often does, Roger Ebert put it best: to paraphrase him, anyone in Hollywood who didn't pitch Radio Flyer by calling it "child abuse meets Peter Pan" was losing a bet.

Ah, Fish Police. Not only was it teamed up with a live-action comedy about a family and their dragon named Scorch, but the thing only lasted three weeks. Jerry Beck recently posted a 1991 pitch reel for Cartoon Network to his YouTube account- the funniest part is when the announcer talks about how Turner's acquisition of Hanna-Barbera gives them a great library of classic characters plus great new shows on the way...followed by a clip from Fish Police.

As for Dinosaurs...looking back on it after it was released on DVD, the show was actually pretty damn good. In most cases the satire hits its mark, and the scripts and gags are actually clever (though it did take a few episodes for it to get into its groove). Jim Henson came up with the idea for the show shortly before he died- he'd probably have been proud of the final result. Which is more than can be said for, say, Studio DC: Almost Live!

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Actually, that attempt was pretty good (though she was better in "Junior Disaster" which came BEFORE this). And both were drawn by your friend Pat McEown, creator of "Luna Park."

I was lucky to live in a major city with a WB affiliate, because I can't imagine 1995 without Kids WB.

The Slang Patrol was even ridiculous then. Seriously, "key the dog"?
    On another note, is slang dead? I don't think kids today really use any of it.
    Wow, they thought "Thunder Alley" with Ed Asner was cool.

Yeah, ABC Saturday Morning had Free Willy, Madeline and Fudge, but it also had ReBoot. Not for much longer, though. ABC had a low tolerance for good stories.

Joe Quesada would have been too busy making "22 Brides" at this point.

I remember a Mr. Adventure when he went to anti-terrorism training camp, and they had a sidebar explaining to kids what a terrorist was. If that doesn't make you nostalgic for the 90's, nothing else will.

The boys are the focal point of that ad because it's in a kids' magazine, obviously. I saw a lot of sitcoms advertised in that mag with the child stars forefront in the center, like the ad for "Maybe This Time."

I laughed at that Toaster Strudel ad too, way back in 1995. It was so off the mark it was hilarious. I never heard a kid say "kickin," ever. Yet kids said it all the time in ads for some unexplained reason.

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

The Mortal Kombat movie mention reminds me of the time in the mid 90s when they inexplicably tried to make the MK franchise more family friendly (the movie, the cartoons, focusing more on the martial arts aspect rather than the killing aspect). And as for that ABC lineup, Dumb and Dumber was the last Hanna-Barbera show aired on a broadcast network. After that they worked exclusively for CN where they went out in a blaze of glory (johnny bravo, dexters lab, powerpuff girls).

7. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Um....yeah.

You'd let her nose stand in your way? Seriously? :shrug:

8. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

Actually this is one of the better Disney Movies
    Next to Tarzan it's probably the best.....

9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

What kind of good movie about bears has a lead character named "Beary Bearington"?

10. mobo85

"The rest of you writers come up with a name for this funky bear. I don't know- something along the lines of Beary Bearington, but more proactive."
    "So, 'Beary Bearington' okay with everybody?"
    "Yeah."

11. MASF

MASF Member

True, I always wonder why they weren't perfered watchable back then. The comedy is a bit mixtured, but still fun to watch. I'm not sure why Dave the Barbarian was cancelled, but Brandy and Mr. Whiskers still boggles my mind...It could and should have had atleast lasted to 4 Seasons. Another show I love is Rocko's Modern Life. I never knew why I loved both shows and liked Brandy and Mr. Whiskers as much as Rocko. I found out that there are two writers from Rocko's Modern Life who worked on that show. Also, I loved the art style. Something I love about cartoons is the way they're drawn to explain how their world is like. Example would be Ed, Edd, n Eddy, which I love, and the Scriggle-vision was such a cool effect that it drew audience to something new they haven't seen, while it made the show funny and entertaining to watch. Well, ending this, I'd have to say...Brandy and Whiskers had a lot of potential and so did Dave the Barbarian. Not that I like Dave much, but it was pretty funny at times. His cowardness is something to laugh at. I just wish ppl would appreciate these shows now that they're gone. Also, don't judge a show from it's title. I used to hate Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, but now I love it, and same goes with Chowder. It may sound like a stupid and uncreative show, but turns out to be something you never expect it to be.

12. cartoonscartoons

This interview must've taken place just before Season 5 premiered, due to the "whats next for the simpsons" answer

13. cartoonscartoons

The jokes and plot are good, though I'm not defending that name....

14. mobo85

Hmm...I can't find any proof of that, although it's probably true- IMDb, like any user-driven site, is only so accurate. It is true, however, that two Rocko scribes created Phineas and Ferb (and also serve as songwriters and voice actors).

15. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Wow, this actually reminds me: Fox Kids had a (quarterly) magazine!

If I can ever find my copies of the issues (or, while we're at it, the only issue of Cartoon Network Magazine that was published), I'll be sure to do an archive thread for those.

16. MASF

MASF Member

[​IMG]

Hey Look! It's Bobby's World!!! XD

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

CN Magazine existed for only one issue? That actually warrants an article, not a thread. If you do find it, can you send the scans to me?

18. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Sure thing.

19. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

1. Do you know that Totino's pizza uses real cheese? And watered-down processed cheese? And watered-down enzyme-modified cheese? AND FREAKING IMITATION CHEESE ON TOP OF THAT?! Ditto for Pizza Rolls, which I used to eat until I realized what the heck went into them.

2. Everyone keeps saying Toaster Strudels are better than Pop Tarts. Well, guess what. Toaster Strudels make me sick. Pop Tarts don't.

3. You know how Nostalgia Critic hates Doug just because his name is Doug? Same with me and Bobby's World.

20. J. B. Warner

Despite the universe's best efforts to thwart me, I have overcome every technical obstacle that's been thrown in my path, and somehow, I uploaded the scans for the June/July 2003 issue. Let's read, shall we?

[​IMG]
    It's the Finding Nemo issue! "Splash into this summer's torn-off magazine subscription!"

[​IMG]
    Like all successful kids' shows, "Kim Possible" had a series of young reader books based on specific episodes of the show. I wonder if they ever got far enough to adapt Season 3's infamous "Emotion Sickness" episode; that would have been an interesting read.

[​IMG]
    "How are we gonna promote the movie based on the pirate ride, guys?"
    "I dunno, have a skeleton sailing a pirate ship? Who cares, The Country Bears bombed, nobody's gonna see this thing anyway!"

[​IMG]
    "Wait, you mean Nick Carter and Aaron Carter look alike because they're brothers? Wow! I never would have figured that out!"
    I like how proud Kelsey A. is that she has 22 issues of Disney Adventures. I have 200 issues, baby - top that!

[​IMG]
    Nice to see the guy who illustrated the Coca-Cola ads in the '90s is still working. What's this artist's name, anyway?

[​IMG]
    Disney Comics are back! 'Cause lord knows this magazine isn't a decent source for Disney-themed comic stories anymore!

[​IMG]
    It's the mid-'00s, so here's your prerequisite inclusion of something SpongeBob-related. Jeez, man, put some pants on if you're going to be outside.
    Memo From the Future: We regret to inform you that Halle Berry in Catwoman is a little less than "purr-fect".

[​IMG]
    "Hi, Mr. Stanton, we're from Disney Adventures, we're here to collect some information about Finding Nemo for our magazine."
    "Great! Well, the idea for the film came from when I was going for a walk in the park with my son, and--"
    "Yeah, yeah, whatever, so what are the funny names Dory keeps confusing for Nemo?"

[​IMG]
    I still say it should be spelled Mount Wanahakalugi. We know it's a pun on "wanna hock a loogie", it doesn't need to be spelled the same way; that just ruins the joke.
    Also, it bugs me that this comic makes mention of the fact that air bubbles always pop at the surface of the water, yet they still make the all-too-common art mistake of drawing them as perfect spheres. (Given how many underwater scenes I've drawn in my life, this is the sort of pet peeve I have.)

[​IMG]
    That's not why people watch "American Idol"! They watch it to see talentless people embarrass themselves and to see Simon act like a jerk. The winner is irrelevant. (Case in point: ask anyone who won the 2003 season, and odds are they'll say Clay Aiken. It was actually Ruben Studdard, whom nobody cares about anymore.)

[​IMG]
    "Poor Bruce, that movie they made based on him was terrible. But hey, it's a good thing my movie turned out okay!"

[​IMG]
    Interesting that they don't really make junk food out to be a bad thing. I guess this answers my question as to whether or not the childhood obesity epidemic had begun at this point.

[​IMG]
    I never watched "The Proud Family". (When it comes to the Disney Channel's animated shows in the mid-'00s, there was "Kim Possible" and then there was everything else.) But I don't need to know anything about the characters to know that this comic is utterly pointless. Remember when DA's comics actually had stories? I know, it was a long time ago...

[​IMG]
    The March 2003 issue (which I'm planning for an upcoming article) contained a contest wherein readers selected a new member of the (ugh) Jet Pack Pets. I can't really tell if it's a kangaroo or a talking pencil with legs.

[​IMG]
    I'm a little self-conscious making jokes about Eric Jones' comics now. Especially considering that after I did my article on the September 2004 issue and mentioned how much I detest "Kid Gravity", Jones found my post and actually e-mailed me. If you don't believe me, I can post the message he sent (I'll ask his permission first). It's always a little awkward when I have to talk to somebody I slammed on an Internet forum.

[​IMG]
    I wasn't aware that being a girl had a flavor. I wasn't even aware being a boy had a flavor, either. If I had to think about it, I guess it tastes kinda like tacos.