1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disney Adventures Archive, Part 2

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by J. B. Warner, May 16, 2009.

1. WaggonerCartoons

WaggonerCartoons Bouncing Bunny

Not bad for final issue, I especially love the interview with Daffy Duck, and how he can't remember Donald's name.

I remember looking forward to the "Tall Tales" comics, probably because I always looked forward to seeing classic Disny characters in a Disney Magazine.

2. L. Walker

L. Walker New Member

@J. B. Warner

Just to clarify, it wasn't artist Eric Jones who wrote you. It was me, Landry Walker the writer.

Also: Don't restrain yourself from critical observations. That wasn't my intent when writing you and I'd hate to curtail your reviews or reactions to the work. Whether you love the work we all put into the magazine or you hate it, at least you're talking about it. One of the most difficult things about working on Disney Adventures was the total lack of feedback from the readership. This after-the-fact critical dissertation is certainly better than nothing.

Also: The writing on the Little Gloomy story "The Glob" sucked (same with "The Witch's Tower" and the Mummy story we did). I already know that. You can't hurt my feelings on that one. I look back on that particular era of my writing and my feelings are already splintered into painful bleeding shards. You cannot make the pain greater.

Though I will stand by my feelings that the art was strong.

On the topic of Scrooge McDuck and how we discarded the "on model" style... I know that's often an unpopular approach. But personally, I prefer to see an artist take a character and make them fit their own style than see someone just regurgitate the exact same look over and over, regardless of how beloved said look might be. Admittedly, I look back on the Scrooge design now, and feel that it was the wrong approach. But it was an experiment and it was fun to try. If the magazine had lasted longer, it would have been refined.

As for readers not really getting the fact that the story was a sequel to the story from the very first issue... It was the last issue. That was for us. We weren't terribly concerned. Selfish attitude though that may be.

It's hard to look back on that last issue. I realize that many people here seem to have a bit of a negative opinion of the later years of the magazine. In the case of older readers, that's particularly understandable. Nothing is ever as good as what you remember as a kid. But for us... That was the only book alot of us worked on for most of a decade. It was our home, and it was abruptly taken away. A very sad time.

Here's the first (unpublished) bit we did with Scrooge. It's not particularly good, as it was created just as a means to try out a new production technique. Each panel was drawn at about 8x11 and then water colored (by painter Pannel Vaughn). I like how the colors came out here much better than on the piece we did do for publication. That story was drawn much smaller and the water colors didn't have as much room to breath.

[​IMG]

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi, Landry.

Most of a decade? I don't remember Little Gloomy showing up in there very often; did you have another, more steady job at DA?

The truth is, after MacDonald left there was barely enough space to tell a story at all in the comics section. I don't see how anyone could write Pynchon with the nine seconds they were given. You and Jones did make separate Gloomy comics, though, so: am I right in assuming DA did not hold the rights to the characters it printed? (Egad, could Gorilla Gorilla return someday?)

4. L. Walker

L. Walker New Member

Gloomy first appeared in 2001 (I think). Though we had begun working on material a year previous. There were about 8 appearances of the original Little Gloomy. During that time I also wrote several Kim Possible scripts, a Dave the Barbarian story, a Tony Hawk story. A Will Smith thing that never saw the light of day and probably some stuff I'm forgetting now. In 2003 (I think) Kid Gravity started, and that ran with much greater frequency. There were probably about 200-300 pages of Kid Gravity comics produced. Then in 2005, we did a slew of Little Gloomy stories in a wildly different style. A style that lead into the Scrooge experiment.

Eric and I retained all rights to our characters. Both Gloomy and Gravity. Though in the case of Gravity, Disney owns the individual stories.

Space was better than you think. We regularly did 6 to 9 page stories, with occasional longer stories thrown in for good measure. One issue we even had 21 pages, plus a 3 page "how to draw Kid Gravity" section. The magazine (during the reign of Steve Behling) expanded the comics line dramatically. Including the all comics "Comcs Zone" issues. But then sometimes we would have to tell a story that needed 9 pages in only 2. It's the nature of the beast though.

And it's true. We did have the series with SLG so I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole there. But DA was the only paying work and we worked on it with much more frequency. Some of my closest friends today came from working on that magazine. It was a good group of people to work with.

I don't know who owns Gorilla Gorilla, but creator Art Baltazar is busy these days with his (and collaborator Franco's) wildly successful "Tiny Titans" for DC.

5. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Well, I feel a little bit more at ease now that you're here, Mr. Walker. Welcome to the Archive!

I figured there must have been more to "Little Gloomy" than what DA printed. Her introductory story (which was actually in the November 2000 issue that I'll be opening thread #3 with) makes a passing mention of a couple of characters that never appeared in the magazine. For the record, yeah, I do think a lot of my views of the '00s DA comics are skewed by my preference for the '90s ones.

Out of curiosity, which "Kim Possible" comics did you write? Those in particular vary wildly in quality, and I always lamented the fact that they never got any longer than three pages. I always wanted to see a really long KP story with a real plot, like the "Darkwing Duck" stories had in the '90s.

6. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

The big-head style still looks weird to me (so it's nice to know that the artist itself thought it was the wrong way to go), but that Uncle Scrooge gag is pretty good. It always takes a while for an artist to get into the "groove" of a character- I'm sure if DA continued to be published, the artists on the Uncle Scrooge comics would have eventually found their groove, just as Mr. Walker himself says. Nice to hear from someone who was actually there.

7. L. Walker

L. Walker New Member

There was a general push for stories that focused on Rufus, so while I loved the cartoon, I felt that comics we did were not that strong. Naked Mole Rat Mummies was one. Ron the Unstoppable was another. Something where Kim and Ron were shrunk and trapped inside Rufus. One with a robot version of Monique. No idea if it was ever produced. They were fun to work on, but A: The schedule and page count was such that I feel like I never quite got a handle on the characters. It was always situation driven, and I much prefer character driven work. That's not a failure of the magazine though. I was a young writer with limited experience learning his craft on a big stage. Mistakes are inevitable.

My favorites never made it to the page. Drakken's Kitchen. A 2 page Rufus choose your own adventure that would always make sense no matter what order you read the panels in. A few others that I'm probably forgetting about.

#207 L. Walker, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  8. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of 90s kids magazines, does anyone have any issues of "Simpsons Illustrated"? I used to have some issues back in the early 90s, but theyre long gone now.

9. inbay

inbay Guest

when you fix the magazines that not work?

10. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

^ Inbay: Most of the broken links are from when J.B. Warner was still doing this, and he's apparently been having computer issues. Also, please don't bump old threads.