1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disney Adventures Archive, Part 2

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by J. B. Warner, May 16, 2009.

1. JetfirmusPrime

JetfirmusPrime Chibi M

You know, if more people had done that, there would be less forum trolls around... (not including you, of course :p).

This actually reminded me of that one time that Kevin Smith posted on a flame war thread on Rotten Tomatoes after getting called out a couple of times. The end result was awesome.

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Just a heads up for those who don't know, my computer is pretty much on the verge of death. A most unreliable PC, no matter how many antivirus and anti-spyware programs I install, I still get hit with this garbage all the time. No worries, though, 'cause I'm getting a Mac soon. So until that shiny new computer shows up, all my articles (like the June/July 2003 article I just did) will be posted from the community college computer lab, which I don't always have time to make the trip to. However, the long lag time between articles does have one advantage - I can keep planning my future articles in advance! So after May 1995 and September 2006 (and November 2007 and November 2000, taking us well into the third iteration of this thread), keep an eye out for these next nine issues!

- March 1998. The coolest cartoon kids of the year, how you (yes, YOU) can be a professional cartoonist, a day in the life of Liz Smith, doesn't dogsled racing sound like fun?, Pepper Ann meets the Comic Book Guy, and the Rat Creatures learn not to ever mess with the Great Red Dragon.
    - Winter 2002. Siblings (read: nepotism) in the entertainment business, the lowdown on "Invader ZIM", everything you need to know about the 2002 Winter Olympics, Frankie Muniz says stuff, and the first appearance of Lilo and Stitch; also, yes, a movie named Most Vertical Primate actually exists.
    - November 1999. How to beat every video game made in 1999, a guide to making the ultimate haunted house, you WILL go visit Legoland, more Pokémon crap, the first appearance of the Society of Horrors, and Britney Spears vs. the Space Mutants.
    - October 1994. Brought to you by Milton-Bradley. The 1994-95 fall preview, the scariest dinosaur that never lived, Sir Chomps-A-Lot's Excellent Adventure, the Chaos God possesses Pete's new car, more mayhem in the Realm of Magic, and I don't care what anyone says, Gary Baseman's illustrations are cool.
    - March 2003. The first of many claustrophobic covers, more video game tips, why Kim Possible is better than SpongeBob SquarePants, pick the new Jet Pack Pet, an interview with Rikochet from "Mucha Lucha", the top 10 of everything, and why the heck do the Power Rangers have their own comic in 2003?
    - December 1997. Robin Williams talks Flubber, the real Doug Funnie stands up, another damn Land Before Time movie, test your Little Mermaid knowledge, every cool toy you need to have for Christmas, and "George of the Jungle" as drawn by...Sergio Aragones!
    - April 1991. Weird Al Yankovic lives up to his name, Magica DeSpell has a niece, apparently, closing the African culture gap, boldly going where Neil Armstrong has gone before, an oddly-colored "Rescue Rangers" comic, why you can't always believe your eyes, plus free "TaleSpin" stickers!
    - May 2004. Super Entertainment Hyper-Double-Extra-Maxi-Ultra Quiz, the last thing the Olsen twins did that was family friendly, you cannot escape the green hand of Shrek, the best afro in the NBA, Jack Sparrow says "viva la revolucion", Ron Stoppable turns into a ******bag, and the complete guide to "W.I.T.C.H.".
    - April 1996. 25 things we're absolutely sure you didn't know about dinosaurs, the Jacksons sweep the fifth annual DA Music Awards, how to be a total jerk on April Fool's Day, Mr. Adventure disguises himself as mud, Pocahontas as directed by Chuck Jones, and the woeful tale of the "Aladdin" comic that didn't have an ending.

#182 J. B. Warner, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  3. WaggonerCartoons

WaggonerCartoons Bouncing Bunny

Sounds like either the "Cartoon Hall of Fame" issue, or a "Vs." article between Kim Possible and Spongebob, probably the latter.

I can tell I'm going to like that issue.:)

4. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Sergio Argones drawing George of the Jungle isn't really as odd as it seems, since he actually worked on the film coming up with some of the sight gags and ways for George to crash into trees.

5. J. B. Warner

Things are getting spacey in the Archive this week - it's time for May 1995 and the Disney Adventures Sci-Fi Special!

[​IMG]
    There had been a change in graphic designers several months prior to this issue, but this was the first one where I really noticed a difference. Compare any 1994 issue to any 1995 issue, and the changes in fonts and layouts become immediately apparent.

[​IMG]
    Remember how I wanted that McWorld school desk? I wanted this school bus too. Although it seems to me that putting a NASCAR driver behind the wheel might not work out too well. Buses don't handle nearly as well as those cars do.

[​IMG]
    I'm going to send a letter to NASA asking them to officially change Earth's name to Duh-Duh. I dunno, it seems appropriate somehow.

[​IMG]
    Can you figure out which Gargoyle figured out how to defeat the Cybermage? Actually, can you not figure it out? Seriously, just try not to.

[​IMG]
    "Let's talk a little bit about the director, Don Bl--"
    "SSSHHHH! The lawyers are right there."

[​IMG]
    I have absolutely nothing to say about "Earth 2". So let's move on.

[​IMG]
    Here's a not-so-brief look at aliens in the media - movies, TV, and so on.
    Wait, are they actually encouraging kids to watch Alien? Way to traumatize a few childhoods there, DA.

[​IMG]
    "Well, you guys might both be losers, but I just made out with the radiator woman from the radiator planet."
    "Fry, that's a radiator."
    "...Oh. Um, is there a burn ward within ten feet of here?"

[​IMG]
    You're telling me people have mistaken the moon for a UFO? Wow, we really should rename this planet Duh-Duh.

[​IMG]
    Don't go looking for this attraction at Disney World, it's not there anymore. I think they had to shut it down after too many people died of fright.

[​IMG]
    Mars calls "Junior Disaster" the best "Aladdin" story DA ever printed, and I think he might be right. It tells the tale of Genie's original owner, Mysr Al-Graspah, who uses the Staff of Forgetfulness to confuse a young Genie into giving him more wishes, then whisking Genie, Al, and Jasmine back in time so he can wipe the more experienced Genie's memory clean and enslave him forever. It's one of those brilliant, complex stories that DA just didn't do in the 2000s.

[​IMG]
    "Mr. Worf, fire!"

[​IMG]
    Also, there's this funky-looking "Gargoyles" story where Broadway, Brooklyn, and Lexington decide to see if alligators really roam the sewers, and end up foiling a gang of subway hijackers. That's what the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 needed, giant winged monsters who turn to stone by day.

[​IMG]
    And another one of those beautiful "Dr. Watchstop" comics. I think the reason there were so few of these was because they just took so darn long to draw.

[​IMG]
    Shnookums and Meat: Not Ren and Stimpy, but an incredible simulation. (But hey, they were apparently popular enough to get their own pasta.)

[​IMG]
    So this is what Dr. Forrester does when he's not tormenting Joel and the bots.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

"Because the aliens have great taste: they read DA!"

I remember it was so easy to suck up to the editors of the magazine back then. At that point, half the things they printed were from suck-up kids who were only praising them to get in. Don't forget the winning concept to the 1995 Villain Contest was "The Non-Disney Adventurer."

The photo from "Alien" isn't actually in the movie, because you never see that much of him. It was a publicity photo taken on the set.

And speaking of Alien, that's the franchise "Alien Encounter" was originally supposed to be based on. Universal had edgier rides, and Disney wanted to compete, but they couldn't get the Alien license in the end. So they invented a creature and made the ride anyway. If they had been able to use Xenomorphs, the ride might still be there today, because parents would know what they were getting. Everyone assumed this ride was as innocent as the others. Now Stitch appears in the tube instead.

7. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

Well, I wasn't into Nickelodeon magazine either... :crying:

8. mobo85

I recall that the label of Shnookums and Meat pasta actually had a disclaimer that explained that "Meat" was the name of a cartoon character and not an actual ingredient in the pasta. (Shnookums and Meat was a spin-off of another Disney show, but damn if I can remember what it was. Might have been Raw Toonage, might've been Marsupalami, which itself was based on a Belgian cartoon character- probably one of the few times Disney licensed an outside character rather than creating their own. And most of the previous sentence probably sounded like gibberish to most people.)

Since the Alien (Strong Sad: "Xenomorph! XENOMORPH!") makes an appearance here and Mars recently did an article of the decline and fall of the character from actual scary thing to oft-parodied parody, it's worth mentioning that it's gone a step lower: the rather mediocre, apparently-animated-in-Spain Planet 51 has an alien dog which resembles the Alien and urinates some sort of acid as a recurring comic-relief character. At least one review made a comment on how low the Alien has sunk to eventually show up in such a manner. Also, why do most of the "Real Miss Universe" contestants appear to be male? In space, is gender reversed?

Dr. Watchstop looks like some kind of Muppet. Given his educational babbling, I guess he's one of those guys who kept asking how to get to Sesame Street and never found out.

9. J. B. Warner

Since we're on the last page of the thread and I've still got two articles to go, you guys get a double shot today. Presenting the first issue to feature the new Disney Adventures logo, September 2006!

[​IMG]
    Jeez, Miley, quit doing that thing with your tongue, it's creepin' me out. (I remember she was on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve in 2007 and she kept doing it like every five seconds.)

[​IMG]
    Apparently, the premise of "The Replacements" is that a couple of kids decide their parents are too boring and replace them with cooler ones. Yeah, there's a nice message to send to kids: "If your parents aren't astronauts or rock stars, you suck!"

[​IMG]
    Now here's a show that I actually have something good to say about. I had to watch "Yin Yang Yo" to gather reference for a commission I did on DeviantArt once, and it was surprisingly clever. It had a punch that a lot of kids' shows lack, and it got me to laugh quite a bit. Still, a kids' show about a blue bunny and a pink bunny...where have I seen that before?

[​IMG]
    I'm not one of those types who thinks CGI animation in itself is terrible. But if anything could make me consider changing my mind, it'd be this.

[​IMG]
    Okay, I have to admit, the kids of today's generation are pretty pathetic when they have to be taught how to play outside. I thought the "ground is made of lava" game was something that all kids knew instinctively.

[​IMG]
    Enough about how they're the same, let's talk about how they're different. For one thing, Miley is being raised in a decent family environment, and thus, she hasn't gone out and Lindsayed herself up, which I have to give her credit for. As for Ashley? She already got a nose job. Does plastic surgery ever lead to a commendable career path?

[​IMG]
    Oh, those poor innocent moviegoers of 2006, thinking the next Spider-Man movie wouldn't suck. If you think about it, the plot of Spider-Man 3 sounds like something that a five-year-old would come up with on the playground.
    "And, and then Spider-Man fights the Sandman, and then, and then Venom shows up and he's like "Raaarrh", and-and-and then Gwen Stacy is there, and, and then Spider-Man turns all evil and stuff, and then, and then, and then..."

[​IMG]
    The centerpiece of this issue is an expanded puzzle section. I don't know about you, but I almost always skipped right over the puzzles. Really, once they got rid of Eye Bogglers, what was the point?

[​IMG]
    Oh. Kimberly Ann Possible, how could you stoop so low?
    Besides, putting aside the shameless Wal-Mart pluggery, this isn't even continuous with the show. Everyone knows Kim does her clothes shopping at Club Banana.

[​IMG]
    Now here's a puzzle with a little more incentive. Not only can you learn a thing or two, but you can win a fabulous prize!...Assuming you get the "Lilo and Stitch" book and not the "Gorilla Gorilla" one.

[​IMG]
    September in the '00s means the winners of DA's annual Cool Pet Contest. These things always bummed me out because I've always had cats, and they've never done anything the least bit awesome. (They catch mice, but then they leave 'em in the middle of the living room for us to step on in the morning.)

[​IMG]
    You think Raven-Symone likes working for the Disney Channel? Between the Cheetah Girls movies, "That's So Raven", and "The Proud Family", it'd certainly seem that way. Or maybe she's being kept under contract against her will and she's only pretending to be happy with her career. I bet that smile's got all the sincerity of a Wal-Mart greeter. (Again with the Wally World jokes.)

[​IMG]
    Oh, c'mon, who didn't see this joke coming a mile away?

[​IMG]
    Say what you will about the writing in DA's comics at this point (and lord knows I do), but at least the artwork could still be pretty decent. I really like the way this Pirates of the Caribbean comic is drawn, even though the plot is absolutely nil. At this point, I'll take what I can get.

[​IMG]
    Remember the August 2006 issue with the first half of that "Gorilla Gorilla" story with the giant meteorite? Here's part two. And again, it doesn't end, it just stops. How this became DA's most popular latter-day comic is beyond me.

[​IMG]
    "SPOT it! Heh, see, 'cause they're Cheetah Girls an' they got...so many spots and...IT'S FUNNY! HA!"

10. Kitschensyngk

Great. I'm a sucker for puzzles like this. Now I want to solve it.

EDIT: Just finished it.

Better than the answer you get for the spot-the-differences puzzle.

11. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

What's funny about "Alien Encounter" was that if parents didn't go on with their kids and have to dealing with them screaming in their ear, they would have noticed how darkly humorous and actually edgy it was, especially for a Disney attraction. For example, the pre-show is with a robot voiced by Tim Curry who demonstrates the corporation's newest technology, a teleporter. He uses a cute, furry alien creature named Skippy, who the audiences fawns over, as a guinea pig and beams him up. Skippy appears on the other side badly burned and injured, whimpering. The robot fires back, "Shut up, Skippy! You're not burned, you just have healthy glow!" Skippy starts screaming at the robot, who fights back by demonstrating a feature that suspends the teleportation process indefinitely as we watch Skippy, crying for help, disappear forever.

The main show script was also both frightening and full of clever and dark humor. When the big alien appears, you can hear a voice cry, "It's my mother-in-law!" And then there was a point in the show where the crew sends a clueless handyman in the auditorium to replace a fuse, as they keep lying to him as he's wondering why people are screaming, as he's unaware that a man-eating creature is flapping around. Despite being eaten by the monster, the handyman successfully gets the power back off and the crew just shrugs it off, telling the audience to remain quiet and the alien won't eat them. "Probably," he adds in a small voice.

You never expect to see an attraction like that in Disney World, did you? And even though parents did not (and screamed and complained about it, resulting in the lame Stitch replacement), the actual employees still mourn its demise, having real respect for such a dark and cool attraction...

12. mobo85

Look! Ashley Tisdale's so embarrased about her nose job she's covered up three-quarters of her face with a subscription label!

The main characters of The Replacements were actually orphans who got their parents out of a mail-order catalog. (Yes, I'm serious). Then, whenever adults got in their way, Timmy...I mean, Todd and Riley would ask their pink and green fairies, Cosmo and Wanda...I mean, call up FleemCo on their pink and green cell phones and get replacements, but the replacement adult always ended up being worse than the original and they learned an important lesson about how things are better the way they were. What an entirely original premise! (I kid a little- the similarities are there, but it was an entertaining show.)

It's true that Miley hasn't Lindsayed herself up at all, but somehow she keeps getting into controversies- like that Vanity Fair photoshoot. I'd say "she's just being Miley," but that's probably gotten cliché at that point.

Kim probably wouldn't be caught dead there, but Ron Stoppable is a loyal Smarty-Mart shopper, so the tie-in makes a little sense.

Raven-Symone apparenty guest-starred in an episode of The Proud Family, but she wasn't a recurring cast member. She was a recurring voice on Kim Possible, however- but given that most of the cast of that show consisted of stars from shows that either aired or reran on Disney Channel at the time, that isn't surprising. And now Raven-Symone's apparently one of Tinker Bell's friends. Well, at least she still has a career, unlike, say, Adrienne Bailon. (To quote Krusty the Klown, "click, click.")

Kermit the frog? Oh, that's original.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, Raven LOVES working for Disney -- she said off the record that she wishes she could do it the rest of her life. It's too bad once she gets too old, they'll disavow any knowledge of her existence. Maybe they already did it.

Cats do plenty of great things, JB. You must have gotten stuck with a rare lethargic one.

14. Kitschensyngk

And just to show how much time I have on my hands, here's the answer to the Roundabout puzzle:

I am such a dork. :sweat:

15. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Another "Replacements" fan. Pretty uneven, but at its best, very funny.

Also, I get the feeling there's an amusing story behind that Pebble and the Penguin joke.

16. J. B. Warner

All right, folks, time to bring the Disney Adventures Archive, Part 2 on home! (Yeah, in case it isn't obvious, I did a lot of scanning at the computer lab today.)

Once my new computer arrives (should be here within the week), I'll get going on Part 3, beginning as I promised with the 10th Anniversary issue from November 2000. But until then, since we began this part of the Archive with Volume 1, Issue 1, I can think of no better way to conclude than with Volume 17, Issue 10...November 2007, the last issue of Disney Adventures ever printed!

[​IMG]
    Although you wouldn't know it just by looking at the cover.
    Also, do not be fooled. This is not the Ratatouille issue. This is the "Ratatouille on DVD" issue. The magazine had completely run out of cover stories by this point and was recycling them like crazy (two back-to-back issues from 2007 feature cover stories on Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, with almost identical photos of Jack Sparrow on the front.)

[​IMG]
    Nowhere in the issue do they make any mention of this being the end. However, they do drop some pretty huge hints - like a two-page retrospective of the covers of all 201 issues. It would have been a bit nicer if they hadn't goofed up by putting Winter 1999 where January 1998 is supposed to be. (I am such a nerd.)

[​IMG]
    "Enough! You're killing me! I can't take any more!"
    That's what the audience said. *ta-dump-tsh*

[​IMG]
    From a promotional standpoint, DA picked a bad time to die - "The Wizards of Waverly Place" had just premiered. I'm sure they would have leapt at the chance to put someone other than the same three people on their cover for a while.

[​IMG]
    Matt Feazell sends off "Dizzy Adventures" with a huge two-page spread, part of a comic depicting the entire staff moving to a new building. Yeah, DA was "moving" like Rover was "going to a farm upstate".

[​IMG]
    Considering Enchanted made it onto the cover, they didn't really talk about it much. Note that they compare Giselle to Fiona from Shrek. Way to miss the point, guys.

[​IMG]
    It wouldn't be Disney in the late '00s without at least a little bit of you-know-who. They should have asked her what she thought of what people were putting themselves through to get tickets to this thing. You can't even make fun of the debacle - no matter how low you think people might have sunk to, trust me, they went even lower.

[​IMG]
    One last celebrity interview before we go. Patton Oswalt is a really funny guy (he was on "Kim Possible" and he's a big "Mystery Science Theater 3000" fan, so he earns a page in my Awesome Book), but gosh, he seems reserved here. Go look for the Ratatouille-themedepisode of "Emeril Live" that he guest-starred on, he was a hoot there.
    Also, I do believe this is the only time Brad Bird has ever been mentioned in Disney Adventures.

[​IMG]
    One thing I've noticed about DA in its last years - someone on staff must have really loved the Looney Tunes, because they kept featuring them in articles even long after Cartoon Network had stopped showing them (Bugs Bunny made a list of the all-time greatest cartoon characters from a 2006 issue; Elmer Fudd appeared on a list of chapeaued bad guys from the Meet the Robinsons issue earlier in 2007, etc.). Pretty impressive when you consider these are characters from a rival company here.

[​IMG]
    Now you too can sing just as well as Zac Efron! Although admittedly, that's not hard to do.

[​IMG]
    The final Comic Zone is really interesting, and it's where most of the "this is goodbye" hints come from. For one thing, Bernerd and Squatty of "The Hair Pair" step outside the boundaries of their comic and go on an adventure in the gutters of every subsequent page.
    And this final installment of "Jet Pack Pets" features a roundup of every bad guy they've ever fought - and for some reason, the Pets are there to bid Jack Flash a happy birthday. Do you think this'd work in real life? Maybe all Bush really needed to do was bake Saddam a cake.

[​IMG]
    This Muppet comic is the first of its kind in DA...which makes you wonder why they waited until the last issue to debut it. From what I understand, this has been spun off into a series of young reader comics, so I guess it didn't go to waste after all. Wocka wocka!

[​IMG]
    And holy cow, I wasn't expecting this! Your eyes do not deceive you - this is a sequel to "The Dream Scheme", the "DuckTales" comic from the November 1990 issue. Of course, how they expect kids to get their hands on the prequel part of this story, or even know what "DuckTales" was, is beyond me. (I, of course, do not have this problem.)
    Eric Jones did the artwork here. Does it fit the characters? I'm afraid to answer that at this point.

[​IMG]
    Art Balthazar's "Gorilla Gorilla" takes the clip show route for its final episode. Glenn McCoy actually gets a laugh out of me, regardless of how small it is, for the final "Tall Tails" gag. And Bernerd and Squatty walk happily together into oblivion.
    This is actually kind of moving. Just think, this is how it's all ending. Seventeen years of Disney Adventures, and we're closing out the last issue with a hamster and a guinea pig. Kinda brings a tear to your eye, don't it?

[​IMG]
    And when they say it's the Last Laugh, they mean it's the LAST Laugh.
    Actually, I have heard of the Soccer Mummy before. To borrow a phrase from "South Park", the Simpsons already did it.

[​IMG]
    And here is is - the back cover, and the very last thing to be advertised in Disney Adventures. I wish it could have been a Starburst ad - that could have been the ultimate "full circle" nod to the first issue.

So that's how it all ended. But we're not even close to done! There's still about 130 issues left to chronicle here! And I've got 'em all!...Except for October and December 2000.

17. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

Patton actually talks about doing this interview and other Disney ones in his stand-up routine (it's on his newest CD), and how hard it was to be non-cynical and not give answers that come from his own twisted, adult perspective. It's hysterical, but a warning for those who seek the CD: not for those under 13. Actually, make that 16...

18. mobo85

If you've heard some of Patton Oswalt's routines, you know he knows a thing or two about food. I believe that his famous "Black Angus" routine was actually the inspiration for him to do the voice of Remy in Ratatouille.

As I mentioned before, I always found it interesting that Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon stars were no strangers to the pages of a Disney-owned magazine. And even if the game itself was apparently limited, you gotta admit that a game on the stylus-based Nintendo DS inspired by the cartoon Duck Amuck is a pretty clever idea.

What's the deal with Scrooge McDuck's head? Did he take steroids to prepare for the role so he'd look like his young self?

As for the Muppet comics...they were apparently supposed to be a recurring feature in DA, but the magazine went under after the first one was published- much to the disappointment of the writer/illustrator of them, Roger Langridge. Thankfully, the folks at Disney liked his stuff, and when Disney signed a license with BOOM! Studios to publish comics based on their characters, Langridge got to create his own Muppet comic series, which is amazingly able to capture the spirit of the classic "Muppet Show." The first eight issues are available in two trade paperbacks- "Meet the Muppets" and "The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson"- they're definitely worth a look if you're a Muppet fan. And who isn't? (Langridge says he was somewhat inspired by Glenn McCoy's "Tall Tales" comics- his depictions of the Muppet characters are slightly off-model- though not as off-model as McCoy's- but somehow don't seem it, if that makes any sense.)

19. Kitschensyngk

One of their artists has a DeviantArt page featuring several Muppet comic cover pages.

20. mobo85

That would be Amy Mebberson, who draws the "Muppet Peter Pan" series and also provides limited-edition variant covers for the Langridge book. She draws the characters in a more realistic style, which looks pretty neat.