1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The DCU Figures Customizers Thread, Part IV

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Tyke, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

Welcome to the third part of the DCU Figures Customizers Thread! Continue posting your customs and we'll continue to wish Mattel would do them.

Past Threads
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III

Edited by Bird Boy

zonian1989: thanks for sharing! these look great. both versions of waller are on this board!

Anpu: I, also, am going to repaint Katma (they painted her brown). I also am going to redo BULLETHEAD's head. That's one small cranium. Great idea with Zatanna, I wonder if the Joker's jacket tails will work...i have them lying around.

arrakhat: thanks for the compliments!

2. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

Custom Figure Update:

Jonah Hex, 2 Supermen from Legacy, Doomsday Damage Supes, and Dr. Milo.

click here:

http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galleries/Tyke/tyke12.htm

New photos on link that you haven't seen. Please do enjoy and I always welcome criticism because, well, I can always correct mistakes with a knife. A hobby knife, that is. ;)

3. Casimir

Casimir Inanimate Objects!

Your wife dresses you funny and you smell bad!

Oh, you meant the customs... KIDDING!

I'm loving this update. Using a Joker head for Milo is sheer creative genius. And all the Supes... Just adds to the season! :)

And I wanted to welcome zonian1989 and Anpu. Nice work, folks!

C.

4. Anpu

Anpu Opener of the Way

Wow!

Hey Tyke!

I just visited your Toymania Custom Page. Its been just a little while since I had a chance to look over your latest work. Boy, was I impressed! I'm thinking that I may really have to try my hand at making a set of the Justice Kids. You really did an amazing job using Robin to generate three very unique characters. I really enjoyed Hex as well. I have a real soft spot for qwirky, lesser known DC characters. The dry brushing techique seems to have been an excellent choice for this dusty, gritty old cow poke. I first learned dry brushing in a pottery class I took. I found it to be an effective technique to use occasionally with resin and figure kits that I have built. I used it for the first time on that Deadman custom. After seeing your Hex, maybe it has more use as a technique than I thought.

Excellent stuff and thanks for sharing your construction tips and thoughts!

Anpu

5. audiecugi

audiecugi I'd like to test that theory!

Well, here it is my very first custom. Captain Atom! This is based off of Casimir’s recipe. Waverunner painted over with epoxy for the hair. The paint job isn't the best but for a first timer, and a guy with shaky hands I think it's pretty good. The logo is also from Casimir’s site. I also have to give a big thank you to Casimir for his awesome FAQ. All that info really helped me get started.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/audiecugi/Picture169.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/audiecugi/Picture171.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/audiecugi/Picture172.jpg

6. jimmymiro12

jimmymiro12 Member

not horrible audie.

I kind of prefer the blue color with a little metallic in it (which is what I am working on)

good job though

jim

7. Casimir

Casimir Inanimate Objects!

Nice work, audiecugi! And I'm always happy to have helped.

C.

8. jimmymiro12

jimmymiro12 Member

Casimir when are we gonna see some new customs. I was hoping that there would be some soon.

JIm

9. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Tyke - That Jonah Hex is awesome.
    audie - That's really good for a first try.

10. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

Audi: nice Captain Atom. It's cool to see him actually the silver he's meant to be if in real life. Very nicely done! Keep it up.

Josh, Anpu, Casimir: Thanks, you three wild and crazy guys!

Jimmymiro12: Casimir is waaaay too busy at this point in his life: packing his stuff for a move, smelling bad, and letting his wife dress him funny :p

11. Arrakhat

Arrakhat Trust me, I'm a doctor

Wow these customs rock. I'm inspired by the easy Superman repaints Tyke, it looks like a good way to make use of fodder. Especially love Milo though, and I can't wait until Doomsday hits retail. You will put them together on the shelf, won't you?;)

12. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

thanks, arrakhat! and yup, i plan on having the Cadmus Team alongside Doomsday when he comes out. :D

13. Mister Miracle

Mister Miracle The Best Kept Secret

any news on when JLU grundy comes out, i just saw superman returns good movie. now im going to finish all these custom i have here firefly and intergang asian girl, aquaman stas style

14. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

i hope you read the "dcau animated figures thread", too. that is this thread's companion, and all you need to know about grundy is there.

i can summarize the info best here: only 5,000 are made. no more. only 1/2 of those will be sdcc. no more. a lottery will be in place for grundys. many aggravated, broke customizers will have to make their own or wait a year for the price to drop. GRUNDY IS NOT BEING RELEASED in stores.

15. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

Mattel made Katma REALLY brown. Mattel made Kilowog REALLY tan.

So I fixed them by repainting their skin tones.

The "NAKED KATMA" is gonna be the "Priestess Katma" in the slave-girl outfit. Head is a cast of Casimir's (his toy, not his own head), and I plopped it on JLords WW. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

16. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

cool! perv!! ;)

D.

17. Mister Miracle

Mister Miracle The Best Kept Secret

Nice, do you know where i can get a grundy, or when san diego comic con is i can maybe go there and pick one up

18. jimmymiro12

jimmymiro12 Member

Well the tickets are like over a hundred right now. Um best thing to do is find someone who can getcha one.

thnx,
    jim

19. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Nice stuff Tyke. I must ask since i want to repaint Katma as well, did you apply flat white and all that stuff before repainting her or just threw on the acrylic paint? I want to make sure mine is as smooth looking as yours is. It looks great!

20. Tyke

Tyke Active Member

bat313: i mixed red, white, and yellow. it's a red-dominant orange, so it gives you a "sherbert creamsickle" color. i just painted right on top of the brown. the "naked katma" is primered, first. post yours when you're done!

mr.miracle: it's gonna be a lot of money if you're going to the con just for a chance at grundy. patience, i bet you'll find one shortly after the con.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.