1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Bird Boy, Jul 18, 2008.

?

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "The Dark Knight"

1. *****

73.3%
  2. **** 1/2

13.4%
  3. ****

7.0%
  4. *** 1/2

2.9%
  5. ***

1.7%
  6. ** 1/2

0.6%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. * 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Why so stupid?

1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Really now, I took the movie as being a message about hope in the goodness of people.

I can't be the only one who felt the film ended on a note about hope. Things get worse before they get better, I don't quite see how things can get much worse from here on out.

2. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

How cool is it that I was in the movie?! (I being Batmanuel, who was played by Nestor Carbonell, who portrayed the mayor in this movie. ;))

Anyway, just saw it tonight. Very cool. Could've done without the people beside us that were obviously just there to hang out, talking a lot and wasting space that someone else could've used instead of sitting way up front and getting a sore neck... But that's besides the point. Lots to like about the movie and it was kinda fun going into it being a Bat-fan and hearing people going "ohhhh, that's Two-Face" two hours into it. Haha. It's a shame that this will be the last time we see The Joker in these. Heath did a great job!

Only things I wasn't crazy about were a couple of corny lines, some sound mixing issues, and I found Batman was a little too quiet sometimes.

Oh, and I was disappointed by the fact that William Fichtner's (Prison Break's Alex Mahone) character (the bank guy) was killed so early. That guy is Mr. Cool.

3. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Oooooh! I had no idea that Captain Mascara played Batmanuel! How could I miss that? I watched that show religiously in the day. Both episodes. ;)

4. Russkafin

Russkafin Bringer of Darkness

Makes sense!! Thanks for clearing that up!

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

Your welcome, are their any other questions you want answered ? I'd be happy to answer any . I've seen the film 10 time + already . so I'd be able to answer all your questions .

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Was he killed? I thought at first it was a grenade Joker put in his mouth, then it looked like it was just a harmless smoker, like the Joker was just fooling with him.

7. Batboy

Batboy Member

And I think it's every parents responsibility to look deeper into a film so they'll know what they're getting their kids into instead of creating parental groups and complain about violent media scarring their poor children.
    Their kids = Their Responsibility.
    But then the censorship folks should also have thought about the rating twice before making their decision.

Yeah, many people I know, myself included, also think that is really, really weird. I mean, sex is good and harmless.
    It could be because of the overall christian ways of america.
    But then, violence should be just as big a problem.

America is a funny country, I must say :p (no offense)

8. GregX

GregX Active Member

Jesus Christ, it's NOT a movie for kids. PG-13. It's fine for teens and adults, the rating itself is fine.

9. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Well, sex is sacred.

Besides, what sort of person would want to watch people having sex? It tacks on fifteen minutes to the film that could be used for two people trying to kill each other.

10. GregX

GregX Active Member

Sex is a good, fun thing to do. It's flexible. It can be both sacred or fun and casual.

11. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

A very heavy PG-13. the problem with that rating is it can cover a huge range. Iron man was also PG-13, but I think kids could handle that way better then dark Knight.

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Everybody,

Please stay on-topic. I'll say it again! Please stay on-topic! If the thread continues to stray, any necessary disciplinary action will be taken. Thank you for understanding.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

14. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

15. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

My second viewing of the film was in IMAX, so that was pretty neat. I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, too. It went by much more quickly and it was fun to pick out various things I missed the first time. The pencil trick was still an "ack" moment, and I jumped when the fake Batman's body hit the window. Also, I tried to count Harvey's body-count (again) and still only came up with three.

Despite Heath's amazing performance, I think Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart were my favorite things about the movie. Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey's fall is just so heartbreaking and felt very real. I almost shed a few tears for him and I hadn't been anywhere close to that the first time around. And Gary Oldman is simply fantastic as Gordon.

It was really fun seeing the movie on such a large screen, and admittedly I got a little queasy during the shots of Batman's high jumps. Bigger definitely was better when it came to this ;)

16. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Call me a cold hearted dog, but I have to keep saying I find myself angry with Dent more so then pity him. Sure, the love of your life dies, but grow a dang pair and don't go around trying to kill innocent people. Crying out Harv, ya big loser...

17. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Harvey wasn't insane in the comics, prior to the scarring incident. The most major changes Nolan made to the character was how he got scarred, and the lack of a split personality.

But generally speaking, he took the major beats of the comic book arc and applied it here with his own touches.

18. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I have a very similar opinion of the current comics version of Harvey. 2006's "Face the Face" 8-parter in Detective Comics and Batman tarnished the character in my eyes. Through the incidents that unfolded in "Hush," Harvey turned himself around, reconstructed his face, and made the first honest effort to set things right. In One Year Later, they tore him back down in the lamest of ways.

[xspoiler="Face the Face" spoilers]There was nothing substantial to anchor his descent back into Two-Face. All he does is tear apart his apartment and whine to himself that Batman is investigating him for a series of murders. As a former DA, Harvey should have understood that Batman was just going through evidence, and that surely the greatest detective in the world would eventually find out that it was PLANTED evidence.

He turns back into Two-Face because he's a weenie. That just didn't sit right with me, especially after he'd picked himself back up only a few years ago. Now I know Batman villains are supposed to be tragic, unredeemable characters, but sometimes the way they go about becoming evil is just lame. With mental instability and all that, I'm sure what's "lame" to me is a perfectly valid reason for the villain going through it, but...I don't know.[/xspoiler]

At least with a love interest dying, The Dark Knight's Two-Face has something serious to get all crazy about. In the comics they only played up Harvey's vanity and insecurity. I'm sorry, but a big-time baddie like Two-Face should have a bit more dimension than that. For many audiences, a love interest adds that dimension, because almost all of us can relate to being in love, or having a lost love, or what have you. Vanity and insecurity are more easily dismissed by us because that's just something you "get over" a lot easier than a dead lover.

Anyway, lost love interest or no, I buy into Harvey's turn to the dark side in this movie because he had been through two traumatic events in the same moment; his lover dies, and he is horribly disfigured. The guy became a little off-balance because of that. Add to that his angry back-alley interrogation with the guy who looked sorta like Jonathan Crane (which confused me for a bit until Batman told Harvey who he really was) and it cements the twisted justification by which he becomes Two-Face.

And I would hardly claim that the people he killed were "innocent." They were corrupt cops and mob members, specifically people Harvey had been crusading against all movie. I can even justify his kidnapping of Gordon's family as a desperate and vengeful attempt to show Gordon what it feels like to have a love of your life senselessly murdered. In his mind, he was creating his own brand of justice.

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Good lord, that is utterly pathetic. The comic plot, I mean. Much easier, it is, to at least accept the film's choice.

I do await Young Justice's reply to your post, though. I believe it was he who miffed about this change, if you will.

20. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

You know the thing about Burying Harvey Dent and naming him a hero? Is this similar to what they did to Captain Dudley in L.A. Confidential? And if so how are they usually allowed to get away with this? I mean if they died criminals (even though Harvey didn't really become a criminal by choice).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.