1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Bird Boy, Jul 18, 2008.

?

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "The Dark Knight"

1. *****

73.3%
  2. **** 1/2

13.4%
  3. ****

7.0%
  4. *** 1/2

2.9%
  5. ***

1.7%
  6. ** 1/2

0.6%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. * 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Why so stupid?

1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Part I of the ongoing discussion on The Dark Knight! Click here to read Part II!

Welcome To A World Without Rules

[​IMG]
    "Why so serious?" - The Joker
    Release Date: July 18, 2008 (with July 17th midnight showings)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Screenwriter: Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan
    Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman
    Genre: Action, Crime
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and some menace)

Synopsis: The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan with star Christian Bale, who returns to continue Batman's war on crime. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as the Joker (Heath Ledger), who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces the Dark Knight ever closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -The Dark Knight Feature Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Killing Joke Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Long Halloween Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Man Who Laughs Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Favorite Live-Action, Animation, and Comic Book "Batman" Moments
    -Batman: Favorite Live-Action, Animation, and Comic Book "The Joker" Moments
    -Batman: Favorite Animation and Comic Book "Two-Face" Moments

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as civil, thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material and make sure to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary.

Welcome to Part I of the ongoing discussion on The Dark Knight! Click here to read Part II!

2. SonGoku V3

SonGoku V3 Shaman of SEXY~!

I'm honestly surprised to be one of the first posts in the thread, and I hate to also be the first downer, but I truly feel lukewarm about this film based on first impression. Is it good? It's great. If anyone deserves an award for this movie, it's Aaron Eckhart here because the transformation into "Two-Face" was as great as people said it would be, but I still feel indifferent here.

All of the actors did a great job here, and the storytelling made 2 hours and 30/40 minutes fly by, but I didn't leave the theater saying "wow, I want to see this again" or "I can't wait to see the next film" like I did with Batman Begins. Maybe I'm the mad dog here not knowing what to do with what I've been chasing after for so long (seeing this film), but I feel so indifferent about this movie that I don't think I could rate this without debating with myself for hours on end what I might or might not have liked.

I can't rate this, because my first impression of this film has yet to give me a concrete feeling about the movie.

3. GregX

GregX Active Member

Damn, the Joker was terrifying.

4. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

What an experience. This film took everything bad about Begins (what little bad there was) and threw it out, then it took the good and amplified it with a ton of other good stuff from various Batman stories.

The Joker once again stole every scene he was in, and Two-Face's origin was well worked into the story. (And man, does he look awesome.)

I'd geek out about every single little thing, but I'd be up until sunrise. I'll leave it to the rest of Toon Zone.

The Dark Knight: Best. Batman movie. Ever.

Ever.

NOW MAKE A SEQUEL WITH CLOCK KING!!! :anime::anime::anime:

5. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Yeah I can agree with that. Another terrifying thing was Harvey Dent's Two-Face, face revealed, even though I was one of those people in the theater that was, "SHOW YOUR DISFIGUREMENT!"

This portrayal of the Joker was just awesome in everyway. I laughed at almost everything that came out of his mouth, and every gesture. May God or whatever higher being rest your soul in the after life Heath Ledger.

I might have to go back and watch this film again. This time in IMAX!

Mod Note: Spoiler tags not needed for this discussion thread.

6. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I gave ****1/2

I still love the film (for all the things I love, check the News thread, I have a small review there...), the very ending still bugs me, but that only amounts to about a minute of screentime.

I understand what they were going for, but at the end of this very long film, something other than a murky monologue that will leave 75% of the audience scratching their heads was needed. I also completely disagree with the decision Batman and Gordon make. Even if Batman takes blame for what Dent did, why would Gordon actually "hunt" Batman, a man who has done nothing but help him and just saved his family? Not only was it painfully obvious sequel-setup, but it just felt wrong. Dent did not need to be remembered as a hero if Batman can still be regarded as one. Batman IS the hero the city needs AND deserves, and trying to argue otherwise is dramatically cheap. He can be the Dark Knight and still be Gotham's hero. I thought that was what Batman Begins was all about. And I refuse to believe that, whatever he felt the public needed, Gordon would be so quick to fool the public into idolizing a man who had just held his family at gunpoint. The decision to lie about Dent to the entire city is also disturbingly Orwellian and I hope it comes back to bite Gordon and Batman in the ass in the sequel, even if Two-Face is dead. If anyone comes up with a good analysis of the ending speech, I'd love to hear it, because even after seeing it twice, I just don't know what to think.

Anyway, that bugged me, but the rest of the film was mostly brilliant. A real shame Heath won't be able to be "doing this forever," as clearly the Joker was intended to return. The Joker almost needs to return, but recasting someone in the part will certainly be an alienating decision at best after all of this hype, no matter what actor steps in to fill the clown shoes.

7. Hurricane V1

Hurricane V1 Active Member

Fantastic movie, and I'm one of the few with a grudge against Batman Begins. I didn't like the liberties taken with the characters after being so used to the common image of Batman from comics, cartoons and the Burton films.

But Dark Knight blew all my expectations away. The death of Rachel surprised me and I actually thought the movie was going to end on that sad note but the actual ending was even better. The ending was just a total tragedy; Lucious quitting because of Bruce invading people's privacy with his sonar system, Harvey dying after going off the deep end, and sacrificing Batman's public image to save Harvey's reputation for the sake of the city. It was an inspirational sort of tragic ending though, since we know this mountain of an obstacle won't keep Batman down.

Ledger's Joker was wicked awesome. He didn't use a lot of fancy prankster weapons. Just old fashioned knives, guns and explosives, with a twisted sense of humour applied to weilding them. His 'magic trick' upon meeting the mobsters really set the pace for his character.

Not a family friendly movie by any means. With all the build up towards the end of the Dark Knight, the third movie is shaping up to be awesome.

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I don't think I can ever be excited for a movie this big again. The fact that I had the slightest disappointment is depressing. Nolan and crew have dug themselves into a big hole with this movie, and they better be around to fix things for the third movie.

I already had an opening planned for my "review"/talkback comments:
    The greatest sequel to a superhero/comic book film.

I thought too soon.

There was way to much they wanted to do in this movie. If anything, it seemed like they did 2 short films into one. The whole entire end of the film seemed like a complete send off/conclusion to a series that has lasted over 3 films. There are almost no loose ends. The only thing that hasn't been tied up is that Batman is now being "chased".

We know there will be more movies. I’m thinking "What are they going to do next?" Can they honestly do anything next? I was expecting to see Two Face appear at the very very very end of the film and get away from Batman and the police. Not actually go on a crime spree. The Dark Knight should have been a lead in for the third film where Two Face was the villain. The third film would have been a great character development film for Two Face and Batman. No, that would be a good idea. Instead, they rush Two Face only to have him killed off. So who's gonna be the villain in the third film. the Joker obviously won't be back, Two Face won't happen. WHO??? Well, upon recent recent reflection, I guess it's possible they can bring Two Face back. If they were able to keep Gordon's "death" a secret so well, I guess the can do the same for Two Face. Harvey Dent died. Two Face is still alive. I thought BOTH were dead was because during the end speech, it looked like Gordon was doing a memorial at his funeral. The biggest reason why I thought both we're dead was because I didn't see Dent respirating after he fell to the ground. Maybe Dent/Two Face isn't dead, but we won't know 100% until the third film comes.

If Dent and Two Face are dead, then screw it. Bring back Scarecrow. I was so impressed/surprised in Cillian Murphy’s performance in Batman Begins I wanted more Scarecrow. I was excited when I found out he would be in The Dark Knight, even if it was for a small appearance. Let me repeat this again, I want SCARECROW. We haven't seen Scarecrow yet, we've seen CRANE. Crane has had enough screen time to evolve. Lets get Scarecrow. Or just bring in robin and make "Robin Begins". If the film focus' on Dick Grayson, it will be a nice reminder to how important Batman Begins was and why we loved the film so much.

If I was to say this was the best film of the year, is that really saying much? I only have seen two other films. I don't plan to see very much later either. I don't think Ledger will get an Oscar nomination, I liked the performance, but don't you have to be a good actor in a good movie to get the nomination? I liked this version of the Joker and would have loved to see more.

Another big problem I have is that The Dark Knight was too "actiony". I just got tired of the Joker blowing everything up. Yeah, he's done it in the comics, and if he could have the chance to blow everything up, he'd do it. I was wanting him to do more "mind games" with Batman. Granted, I loved the "mind games" moments we got. All the blowing stuff up is something I'd expect later in his criminal career after he gained more experience. Or at least everything he blew up/threatened to blow up after he got out of jail.

We've reached the highest point in the comic book/superhero film "revival". It's only going to go downhill from here. The projects are becoming to ambitious and so many come out a year its not even funny any more.

Is this the best comic book movie ever made? No. Is this the best Batman ever made? No. Do I still like the movie? Yes. The main reason I’m nit picking and have a negative opinion is because I read the comic books. Honestly, can anything/anyone please the comic book readers. I’m sure someone else who reads the comics as much, if not more than me, most likely disagrees 100% with how I feel about The Dark Knight.

Somehow the film is currently #4 in the imdb.com top 250. Actually, it was #4 on Friday. It's now Saturday and it's #1 on the list! The Dark Knight is not top 250 worthy. Neither is most of the films in there. Regardless, are people actually giving this film a fair assessment and a true opinion? The high ratings, the surprisingly large amount of positive reviews. Does this film really deserve it? Or is it getting positive attention only because Heath Ledger is no longer with us? I don't even want to see The Dark Knight #1 (or in the top 5 for that matter) on a list of the top comic book/superhero films. I checked out rottentomatoes.com to read the reviews before I went to see it. When I read the negative reviews, I thought "They don't know what they're talking about. This is gonna be one of the greatest movies ever." Now I want to see some negative reviews.

I might be going to far with this statement and making it a little to early, but this has to be the most disappointing sequel (or 2nd film in the series) I’ve seen for a superhero/comic book movie. BUT, I can still like a movie and be disappointed. I like the movie, please don't bite my head off. If for whatever reason The Dark Knight is going to be hailed as the greatest film of all time, then I'm glad I was able to be a part of this "historical event". Even if I personally don't think this is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Here's some excerpts of two reviews that share my above feelings of the film in a nut shell:
    I don't know what to rate it. 4 and a half would be generous. I'm thinking this is 4 stars.

rant over, here's some random minor foot notes:

i was glad to see rachel back. i knew she would be back after i saw batman begins. i also had a feeling she would be killed off (possibly as the first joker victim with the laughing gas). since i had a feeling she would have been killed off, i wasn't dissapointed that she was. essentially, that's what i wanted and was expecting anyway.

now i know why they made the character ramirez and not montoya. if they honestly made that character montoya, i would have been annoyed a little more. so, maybe we can bring in bullock and montoya in the third film.

bruce living in the penthouse was a nice nod to the 70's batman comics. we obviously got some precursors to the batcave as well.

the tumbler is destroyed, lets get a batmobile thats a CAR.

#8 rggkjg1, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  9. dark knight acolyte

dark knight acolyte Deep in the Shadows of Gotham

It's this simple; I'll post full thoughts in a few days, but until then, the words will be cheap because this film truly has to be experienced.

Superlatives fall short.

9.8/10...or, 5/5

My gosh..seriously...c'mon man. If you're going to post a spoiler, you need to...

KIDDING!

With regards to the magic trick you mentioned: I felt, likewise, that the moment was critical in setting the tone for the character from square one.

10. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I don't think he resigned. He threatened to resign "as long as this machine is in Wayne Enterprises," and then Batman told him to just type in his name when he was finished. Batman knew Lucius would disapprove of this clear invasion of privacy, so he already installed the self-destruct. Lucius destroyed the machine, so hopefully he won't quit the company.

As for Rachael's death, it was an excellent focal point for the plot to shift on. My only concern is, they recast the character, and at first I was all for it. But now, after seeing the movie, I would much rather have seen the original actress get blown to bits.

No, for the record I don't actually want Katie Holmes to die. Within the film context, though, it really would have made me feel better about her performance in Begins (and, I guess, the first half of this movie had she been in it.)

11. Baseball

Baseball gyroball

This movie was so incredible that I can't articulate just how much I enjoyed it. Best Batman movie ever. It was terrific. I'll probably see it again. Maybe another time after that too.

12. MM54

MM54 Human bean juice

I loved this movie. I am so damn tired so I'll have to post more later, but this movie is GREAT.

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I liked it.

14. David Lucas

David Lucas Active Member

The only possible problem I could find is that, I agree, Two Face should have been the 3rd villain. I wasn't expecting his particular story to end that way, and so soon. It really is a testament to the Nolans, because I've been reading every spoiler and watching every clip and viewing every pic.

I couldn't help myself. I needed this movie.

I needed this movie.

So while watching it, I couldn't help but feel disoriented. I think I was just so in shock that it was finally here, it didn't feel real. I'm absolutely positive I will like this movie infinitely more upon further viewings. And it's already my favorite movie ever.

Hell, it was my favorite movie ever before it even came out. I just felt it since day one.

And regards to Dent, I just don't know. Both ways seem necessary. I see why he should live, but I see why he had to die.

15. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

I saw the movie and WOW! I loved it! Heath was amazing, hell, everyone was on their A-game. The only lackluster thing was the sound in the theater so i couldn't make out what Gordon was saying at the very end. I understand that Batman was taking the fall for Dent, but what was the gist or Gordon's speech, or better yet if anyone has a transcript of the speech that would be terrific. I'm definately seeing this again.

16. Batman

Batman Guest

This movie was AWESOME! I was not let down! I had to wait in line nearly four hours to make sure I got a good seat in the theater and my theater actually had to put the movie on a second screen to meet demand! It was a great movie and I don't have enough words to say just how excellent it was. It is a flawless masterpiece in every single way and I can't wait to see it again this weekend. Truly the best Batman movie ever made!!! I can't even express how much I loved this movie!

17. A.J

A.J Active Member

Question before I say something wrong: Are spoilers like the ones before allowed now on this thread??? :confused:

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

No spoiler tags are required in this thread. If a forum post has (Spoilers) in the title, the user must use his/her own discretion when viewing the thread since "spoilers" will be part of the discussion. If a thread does not have (Spoilers) listed in the talkback thread title, then "spoiler tags" will be required. Since the title for this thread is "The Dark Knight" Talkback (Spoilers), full "spoilers" discussion is allowed.

19. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

For those who have seen it and for those who have seen "The Godfather Part 2, can the two be compared? I mean Even though Batman is supposedly a superhero, he also at the same time isn't.Alot of people who saw this label it as a crime thriller with "Heat","The untouchables" and "Goodfellas".Can it be compared to them or not?

20. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This movie was better than a could have ever imagined and it could easily be the best comic book movie ever made and an amazing sequel as well. Nolan really raised the bar on everything here and it turned out great. I loved the movie and Ledger was terrifying as the Joker. He was so unpredictable and just awesome and I think this will end up being the definitive version of the Joker. The Dark Knight really lives up to the hype and deserves to be one of the best reviewed films of the year! Probably one of the funnest midnight showings I have ever been to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.