1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight" Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 7, 2008.

?

Rate And Comment On "The Dark Knight"

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.6%
  3. ****

2.9%
  4. ***1/2

1.5%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Why So Terrible?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

it was annoying to you, but not everyone.

It would make sense for a guy to disguise his voice. Especially someone as high profile as bruce wayne.

Kevin Conroy can get away with what he did considering it's a cartoon.

What val kilmer did with his voice was also pretty silly. The fact that clooney did nothing to disguise his voice is just 1 of the many dumb things about that film

I like what bale did with his voice during the flass interogation.

2. The Demon's Head

The Demon's Head The Immortal

There is probably some that would concur that how he utilized his voice was annoying.

Not altering to such a degree where he is practically screaming. In some instances he was screaming.

What?

There's quite a few dumb things about Nolan's Batman too, but yes, 'Batman Forever' and 'Batman and Robin' are far worse.

3. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

i never said there weren't i've heard the criticism and sometime i feel it can be, but it's not to everyone.

I'm not insulting kevin conroy, believe me. However, if it were real life and all you did was lower your voice an octave, especially someone like bruce wayne, people would recognize it instantly.

He screamed when it was neccessary.

like what's dumb? other than the voice.

#303 Hobbes829, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  4. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

He should use whatever he wants to. To say there's only one possible way Batman's voice should sound is completely ridiculous. Bale, when he put on the costume, described feeling like a creature or beast and that's what he channeled with his performance. That's his interpretation and it's a valid choice. You're not required to like it. The beautiful thing about different writers/artists/actors tackling the character via comics/tv/movies is seeing the variations and different interpretations. With something like his voice, its a minor thing, but still interesting to see (or in this case hear) how approaches can differ.

DA

#304 DarkAngel, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  5. young101

young101 Member

As the above post said, its his own interpretation and as long as it fits the character, whats wrong with his own take? And it does work because the point is realising he can use bats to instill fear and become this horrifylng creature. The voice is part of that image. Especially in nolan's realistic take, it works. Conroy and bales work are used in different mediums; you cant really compare them.

6. The Demon's Head

Why don't you look at it this way.

Instead of major deviations with the film adaptations, with comics there are several different adaptations going on and have been going on. If someone prefers a different incarnation of Batman, which there are many, it is available in many forms. It was several years before Batman got a reboot, how much longer will it take for another reboot? When Batman is rebooted again, it is a small percentage that we will see a highly honourable adaptation.

It is not realistic.

7. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

What's your point? Are you saying that, because there is only one version of Batman out at a given time in the movies, there shouldn't be any variation?

The sound of his voice? A voice is what it is. You hear the sound and there it is. Realism isn't even an issue. That would be like someone telling me my voice is unrealistic. I wouldn't even know what that means. That doesn't make any sense.

8. The Demon's Head

It depends. If the variation is superiour or does not detract from the character, it carries a lot more weight than just changing something for the hell of it.

The post I quoted and responded to said "Nolan's realistic take", meaning that the films were realistic. They were not realistic.

9. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

Real life is fairly mundane. Realistic doesn't mean Real Life. It means not too far removed. Sure, the cape wouldn't allow him to glide, but it's not so outlandish.

10. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Okay, sure. But I don't see anything that stands out as changing something for the hell of it.

That I agree with. Too many are making too much of this "realistic" aspect, when something like, for instance, the costume is anything but realistic.

11. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

other than the cape, what's not realistic?

12. young101

young101 Member

Of course its not entirely realistic, it's still a movie. Geeze. There are elements of technology beyond today's (the sonar, flying), but the universe, the characters could all be doing their actions within the movie in today's reality. Also, Nolan practically left Chicago as it is (he didn't change it unlike in begins). Would I say the Burton or the Schumacher films are realistic? No.

13. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

he didn't fly, he glided. Though, the technology that batman employs isn't too far away from reality.

14. desi

desi Active Member

You know what's odd? People who say Batman's voice was weird in TDK don't realize that Bale did the same voice in Batman Begins. You might say, "So what?" Well, in BB, the voice made more sense because citizens of Gotham had no idea who or what Batman was. The monstrous voice enhanced the mystery and terror in criminal's heart. If I saw a man in a black costume with mini horns who talks like he is in pain in a dark alley, I wouldn't stop pissing my pants until I have no kidneys.

15. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

In regards to the voice, I was slightly put off by it but didn't find it to be such a horrible aspect. I was okay with it in BB because it was the first time he'd been Batman, and he was growing into the role. TDK, however, I was hoping would be slightly different and was slightly disappointed that not only had he not trained his Batman-voice any, but it also seemed to jump around in consistency. In defense, however, he is still quite a bit of a Bat-noob and could grow into it.

Honestly, if they went back and re-dubbed it for a better blu-ray edition, it wouldn't be a significant change. But, it could subtly enhance the movie without the minor distraction. Even if they never do that, the movie is still awesome to me. No movie will ever be flawless.

As for his technology, it's actually quite realistic. The specific types of technology depicted might not be, but the thought that there could be amazing technological pieces of equipment not available to the public is quite realistic. Lucius explained it quite well in Begins, as he said; "Bean counters didn't think a soldier's life was worth 300 grand." Which is true in reality. There are numerous technologies that the modern-day, real-life militaries could have if cost wasn't an issue. Obviously for Bruce, cost is definitely not an issue.

Nolan mostly seems to keep his focus in the improbable, not the impossible.

16. kaine23

kaine23 Gurren Brigade member

I always thought of their hideout more of a "Bat sub-basement". ^^

The cold raspy voice for Batman is fine, adds to the psychological impact batman drills into the criminals.

17. WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja Member

Grant Morrison's Batman does. And why shouldn't he?

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Not to mention Miller's Batman, in All-Star.

Really now, if Superman can be a Nazi/über Commie, Batman can use a fake voice.

19. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Most takes on Batman disguise their voice. I don't see why people have a problem with it suddenly with the Bale interpretation. Even in the cartoon Bruce Wayne sounds different than Batman.

20. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think some people just feel like it's too put-on with Bale, like he's trying too hard or something. With Kevin Conroy and Michael Keaton, it was more subtle and natural-sounding.