1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight" Sequel Pre-Release Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Dark Knight is the highest grossing movie of the year, with over $525 million domestic box-office! As expected, talk is slowly starting on the sequel. What will the sequel be about, and will there even be one? Check out this thread for the latest news and speculation!

[​IMG]

To discuss the latest speculation, news reports, and more, check out this thread!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Previous Thread Installments:
    -The Official "The Dark Knight" Sequel News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Related Links:
    -Batman On Film
    -Superhero Hype

Note: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, ON-TOPIC. Any thread misconduct, in any fashion, will lead to the necessary disciplinary action required.

2. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Ok Black Mask, Riddler and Scarecrow can easily tie the next movie up. Black Mask could take control of the city, the Riddler can be this dude coming out of nowhere tormenting the cops,politicians,batman and black Mask and scarecrow can get a new look after a breakout and bring on his reign of terror on Gotham.

3. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I heard that Black Mask was almost in TDK. I think he's a safe bet. He's built for the Nolanverse (provided he sticks around, which is questionable)

4. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I totally never though of Black Mask. Good call!

How would freezing people require any greater fantasy sequences than the Scarecrow making people see their fears? A gun that shoots liquid nitrogen or some other chemical wouldn't be any less realistic than the Scarecrow's fear toxin

A fear toxin is "science". A gun that shoots anything other than bullets is "science fiction", which Nolan has avoided like the plague. The only semi-rediculous thing was Batman's wings, but even those were explained away by Morgan Freeman. And who can argue with Morgan Freeman?

And why would someone freeze a building?

Freeze has done this on both B:TAS and in the movies.

I'm not sure if I should even comment on this, since you admit that it's doubtful that he'd use Clock King, but the Clock King is much more unrealistic than Mr. Freeze. I mean, a device that slows down time?

That's not what I was thinking. We're talking about characters here, not specific plots. Just because Catwoman was once turned into a beast doesn't mean I'm saying they should use that storyline when I reference her as a potential candidate for the film.

I think a gun that freezes people could theoretically be invented, but I a device that slows down time seems like pure fantasy.

Exactly. And since the lazarus pit, man-deforming putty and a freeze-gun are all fantasy, none will be in the next film.

But anyone who thinks that Riddler can't carry a film needs to think again. He's a great cerebral character, a plotter, a Lex Luthor-type mind that can make things happen. If Joker can spend most of TDK never getting his hands dirty (the most we see him do is the bank robbery at the start and the attack at the party), Riddler can be used just as effectively.

Now, whoever said Ventriloquist and Scarface? Now THAT would be really, cool very Burton-esque and strange. Unexpected.

#4 DisneyBoy, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  5. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

You're referring to what Freeman/Fox called "memory cloth." It's actually based on real-world tech currently under development by MIT and the University of Delaware under contract for the US military, and often broadly referred to by the loose and somewhat innacurate label of "liquid armor" technology. There are two varieties of the stuff, one activated by kinetic energy and the other (which Begins was borrowing from for the memory cloth idea) by having a mild electric or magnetic current run through it. The version Nolan was referencing is actually the less-ready-for-prime-time version of the two, to be honest; but the technology is (or was) slated to begin limited field service on a trial basis with the US Army Infantry in 2010. Anyway, if you're interested in the particulars (and I realize that anyone who's not as big a geek as I am probably isn't :p ), I covered some aspects of it and linked a few nifty articles about it in some posts a while back, I think maybe in the TDK talkback threads, or somewhere like that.

... But I digress from the real point of this thread, which I really shouldn't do :eek: . So, um, yeah -- I'm thinkin' Talia might be a possibility; but a Riddler or a Penguin with a more sinister twist might be a possibility too.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

The only villains that make sense for the third movie are:

Talia - It'll bring everything full circle.
    Catwoman - A new love interest.
    Penguin - Taking over the mob.
    The Ventriloquist - Another character to take over the mob.
    Freeze - A character whose at risk of losing a loved one. Bruce can relate since he lost Rachel.

7. DisneyBoy

Do we all agree on one point - never wanting to hear about Rachel again?

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd agree on not seeing her, but she's too important to this version to at least not get a mention. Regardless if her character wasn't that great.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Exactly.

10. DisneyBoy

Bah...

*grumbles off into the corner, thinking to himself how nice it would have been to have a third Nolan film where Two-Face was alive and his disorder was properly developped, without mention of Rachel or Joker, but featuring Morgan Freeman, Alfred and Gordon still*

11. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

What about a machine that emit microwaves that can vaporize the entire water supply of a city without burning the people around it? If that's not science fiction, I don't know what is.

The trick of Nolan it's the tone he uses when dealing with some fantastic elements he uses to give Batman more interesting challenges.

Almost every Batman villain can be recreated in a more realistic manner. Some examples

Mr. Freeze - He could simply be called Dr. Fries, and be a scientist who has this gun that fires liquid nitrogen. He could have a psychosis that makes him to believe if he is exposed to room temperature he will die.

Poison Ivy - She could be merely Dra Pamela Isley, a gift botanist who is turned insane by her love of plants. She uses her knowledge to build a lot of plant based poisons to kill people she believe are doing harm to the plants she love.

Riddler - He is realistic already, but I think a good angle could be Edward Nygma being a computer hacker who builds a computer virus called The Riddler to create mayhem in Gotham.

12. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

That'd kill the point of the ending of The Dark Knight.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Freeze wouldn't need a name change or psychosis. He could actually have that condition from the accident. It's not so out of the question when this world had the microwave in the first movie. Take Heart of Ice, he was pretty fantastical but not totally unbelievable, probably because he was treated legit and his character was stronger than his visual and "powers". I think Freeze would probably fit in these movies.

14. DisneyBoy

What about a machine that emit microwaves that can vaporize the entire water supply of a city without burning the people around it? If that's not science fiction, I don't know what is.

Actually, making a valid point that I can't argue against is what that is. SO THERE!

Poison Ivy - She could be merely Dra Pamela Isley, a gift botanist who is turned insane by her love of plants. She uses her knowledge to build a lot of plant based poisons to kill people she believe are doing harm to the plants she love.

Wow...2 hours with the florist from hell! Sorry, but I don't think that would work. She needs to be sexy and over-the-top a little. In B:TAS the voice worked so well because it was so grounded, despite the zany visuals. But you're right about one thing...Dra is a much better first name than Pamela.

Riddler - He is realistic already, but I think a good angle could be Edward Nygma being a computer hacker who builds a computer virus called The Riddler to create mayhem in Gotham.

A computer hacker take is too boring, typical, bleah. Not in a Batman movie. Not for 2 hours. Riddler needs to have a stake in the games, and Batman Forever did that really well. Nolan would do something similar, only stick to a man in a suit with a brain.

That'd kill the point of the ending of The Dark Knight.

Well maybe they didn't end the film correctly!

Kidding aside, the ending they went with was nicely handled, but I'd happily have sacrificed it for a proper Two-Face depiction in the next sequel.

It's not so out of the question when this world had the microwave in the first movie.

I have a microwave in my house, actually, so I see your point.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

It'd actually have killed the movie as a whole, too. The point was Joker struck a mortal wound by forcing the cops to either reveal Gotham's White Knight fell into darkness and lose their growing hope or cut their ties with Batman so that the public could go on believing Harvey was their man, tragically taken from them.

16. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

What in the scenario I've proposed denies that she could be sexy and over the top? One thing don't invalidate the other.

Poison Ivy could be a side villian in the movie. I agree that she is not strong enough to carry the movie by herself.

Poison Ivy on BTAS is very close to what she could be in Nolan world. She relies only in botanist knowledge. She had no superpowers. Her plant weapons were very fantastic sometimes, but it could be changed to less fantastical if it was the case

Sorry about that. It was a mistype. The thing is, I'm Brazilian and in Portuguese you have different abbreviations for male doctors (Dr.) and female doctors (Dra.)

I agree that the computer hack was done a lot of times. But it could worked as well if it was made properly.

Riddler in Batman Forever was kind of a mad scientist. A hacker could be seen as the today's generation mad scientist.

17. DisneyBoy

Sorry about that. It was a mistype. The thing is, I'm Brazilian and in Portuguese you have different abbreviations for male doctors (Dr.) and female doctors (Dra.)

Nothing to be sorry for, I was the one trying to be funny and instead made himself look like an ass :p

18. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I don't believe they'd use Black Mask for the following reasons:

1. TDK had 2 horribly disfigured villains
    2. Scarecrow is the incumbent masked villain of Gotham

I doubt they'd use The Ventriloquist either. We die-hards might love him but the general film audience will not buy into it. MAYBE as an incidental character in Arkham but not as a major player.

Like it or not, the next film will likely have 2 of the 3: Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman. Talia would be great as a bookend to this trilogy but filmgoers want familiar names.

19. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

What if they establish Black Mask as a sick twisted cult leader who burned his face to show his true self and not for theatrics like the Joker and then made his way up to the head of the underworld in Gotham?

20. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

I totally agree.

I think a solid argument could be made for ANY Batman villain. Even Clayface, whose condition is ridiculous, but still felt very grounded and real in BTAS... at least, before that little girl episode. My brother also pointed out that Mad Hatter would be right up Nolan's alley, because he loves to make movies that play with perceptions of the mind.

However, if I had to bet, I'd bet on Riddler. I think it's the clear people's choice, and a smart writing team like the Nolans could compose one HELL of a storyline. My second bet would be for Catwoman, because Batman needs a new love interest, and having it be a villain might be interesting (even though they kinda covered that in Batman Returns). Penguin's also a big name, but I think he's one of the least interesting options.

-Terminatah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.