1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight Rises" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jul 20, 2012.

?

"The Dark Knight Rises" - Rate and Discuss!

1. *****

32.8%
  2. ****1/2

29.9%
  3. ****

20.9%
  4. ***1/2

3.0%
  5. ***

7.5%
  6. **1/2

4.5%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1.5%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Rise

[​IMG]

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." - Bane

The Dark Knight Rises
    Release Date: July 20, 2012 (July 19th, 2012 midnight showings)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Screenwriter: Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan
    Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Morgan Freeman

Plot Summary: Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' The Dark Knight Rises is the epic conclusion to filmmaker Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman and Robin Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman, Incorporated Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Detective Comics Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Earth One Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Knightfall Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Venom Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Caped Crusader - Favorite "Batman" DC Animation Moments
    -The Femme Fatale - Favorite "Catwoman" DC Animation Moments
    -The Man Who Broke The Bat - Favorite "Bane" DC Animation Moments
    -The Dark Knight Rises - What DC Animation Would You Recommend?

2. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I'm still amazed that after 7 years, this is it. This is the end of one of the greatest trilogies of all time. God bless you, Mr. Christopher Nolan.

3. klammed

klammed the fool.

This trilogy has been a fantastic interpretation by Mr Nolan, and TDKR was a fitting farewell and end to it. For the comic book fans, they wove in a ton of nods and references to various arcs, whether intentional or unintentional, and kept the overall spirit of the Batverse.

Of course, this is Nolanverse, this ultra-'real' version of the Bat world. For that, he stretches this world to its limits, gives Batman credibility away from Batnipples and Bat credit cards, and gives us another interpretation in film. I use this word a lot: interpretation, because that's what it is. I remember being 'neh' about The Dark Knight, because the Joker was too 'Big', and 'where was the personal side of the Joker/Batman dynamic', and all that whiny fanboy/girl/kid stuff. But once I got over the fact that this was Nolan's vision, and an interpretation, it made sense, I could enjoy it once again. Batman is fantastic because he can lend himself to so many versions and types, from camp to gritty, from supernatural to sci-fi. In not trying to create and all encompassing definitive movie Batman, the focus and narrowing of Batman's world has worked incredibly well for Nolan. This is, to me, an 'Elseworlds', and a great one, with a great end.

I mean, who wouldn't want to see Bruce happy?

4. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I'm going be seeing this at the 6:00 showing. Very excited, although my anticipation has lowered a little, but I'm still looking forward to it. It's going to bittersweet to see this. To me this has been the greatest movies series since LOTR. TDK in particular is one of my top 5 favourite movies of all time, which I guess is why I followed the reviews for this one so much, wanting it to top that. It sounds like it hasn't, but I'll see. Thanks for memories Christopher Nolan. I have had countless hours of enjoyment out of watching and discussing these movies. They brought me tons of pleasure and a sense that comic book movies can be true epics of cinema. I'll never forget this series.

5. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

It's a bit plodding, especially in the first part. The pace didn't really do it for me until Bruce manages to "rise" and part of that is to compensate for the slow beginning. It's not that I don't think there weren't necessary bits there but until the stock exchange scene I almost couldn't tell this was a Batman movie.

I kind of expected the ending to be more controversial, at least to Batman fans. Apparently they've been silenced by Nolanites. That's pretty much the closest to a happy ending Bats will ever get. I'm kind of amused that it's only in a hyper-realistic movie series that he gets that.

I really wish I hadn't been spoiled about

Amusing tidbit: I still can't think of a better name for this movie that doesn't give anything away or is just too simple.

6. OnePark

OnePark גורל

I just arrived home from the midnight, so I won't flesh out my review yet (spoilers because I touch on the ending):

Aaaaand that's it for now. I'm about to go into a coma for a day or two.

7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

The ending was telegraphed pretty predictably, but I thought it was still such a great way to end the movie. It's an ending we'll never get in the comics or in any other form. It's an end to Bruce Wayne's story, but not Batman. Perhaps Blake will become the next Batman, or a similar vigilante. The movie did telegraph a few things, but it still had some nice surprises. I thought it was actually touching when Gordon figured out who Batman was under the cowl and the way Batman led him to that revelation. Handled in such a great scene. Anne Hathaway definitely stole the show. Why they hide her in the trailers when she has so many great moments is mind-boggling. Bane was good though he served the story's means and no more I thought.

I was really, really happy with this and I'll add some more thoughts in later. I really hope we get plenty of good conversation out of this. I can see why the end would be so dividing. Great film!

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

can someone tell me what that was supposed to be? i am really annoyed/angry here. well, maybe not as much as i was when i left punisher: war zone after that was over. this was a totally underwhelming, unfulfilling and an uninspired conclusion to the trilogy. the film is almost unbareable, but that would be maybe a LITTLE too harsh.

as i feared, the film lacks the realism that's been the staple of the previous two films. bane's grand master plan involves using a nuclear device and threatens to blow the city up. gee, like i havent seen that before a million times from cliched james bond villians (real james bond villians, james bond rip off villians, parodies of james bond villians, ect). then through the majority of the movie, we see how gotham goes on as they are cut off from the rest of the world for 3-5 months. it looks just like escape from new york.

the dark knight rises has absolutely no shot at being nominated as a best picture for the acadamy awards, golden globes, or any other serious/respectable film institution that gives out noteworthy/meaningful awards. a nomination is simply undeserved, and all you have to do is see the film for yourself to see how it lacks more than just enough.

the dark knight was better. batman begins was better and reigns supreme. heck, batman 1989 might be better. at best the dark knight rises is borderline mediocre. there's better batman movies, and there's sure as heck better movies period. ALOT better movies.

the best part of the film? the man of steel teaser of course, and that was underwhelming and unfullfilling as well. but that's a 90 second trailer. not a 2 hour and 45 minute long film.

*** stars for the dark knight rises. i intend to do no repeat viewings during this theatrical run. if i eventually change my mind about the film and enjoy it more than i did now, it will be in the far future after the film's dvd/blu-ray release.

the dark knight rises = spider-man 3. all the flaws that made spider-man 3 a lacking/disappointing film are all here in the dark knight rises. that's the best way i can put it in simplest terms.

#8 rggkjg1, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  9. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

The Dark Knight Rises was pure absolute Epic-Awesome-ness!!! Christopher Nolan and Crew... my hat off to all of you for making the best Superhero Movie trilogy of all time. :) I loved Avengers and Spider-Man but, I have to say this is by far my favorite movie. The acting, action, writing, twists, Special FX, stunts, and everything were so excellently well done. I am so sad this was your final Batman film but it definitely went out with a bang ;)
    Anyways I say this to everyone who is a Comic book fan... go see this movie... you will be blown away! :)
    What a great summer for comic fans, I can't wait to see this again. :)

D.

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Time Warner's Warner Bros. unit has issued a statement following the shooting at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado. Police have confirmed 12 deaths and about 38 injured people as of early this morning.

Here is the statement:

"Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

A discussion thread on this incident can be found at Cafe Toonzone. Conversation on the film itself can continue here.

11. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

I saw the movie earlier today and holy crud that was awesome. I think Batman's is always at his best when all hope seems lost and he comes out of the shadows and does his greatest triumphs. Plus this is the only Batman series I know with real closure and in such a nice way at that. We finally get to see Bruce finally happy and ready to move on with his life and he does.

The only thing I dislike though is that I think the movie really ruined Bane and
    in this film. They were awesome in the beginning doing a lot of cool things and their plot seemed awesome...right until it was revealed they were going to try and nuke Gotham. I couldn't even feel sympathy at them when they gave their backstory because of how monstrous they made them in this film. And it sucks because that second person is one of my favorite characters out of the entire Bat franchise and to turn them into such an unlikable person if just maddening. I only wish Batman had gotten the chance to kill them with his own hands instead of someone else doing it.

But other than that this movie was great in plot and execution and it was awesome to see Batman beat all odds and triumph against evil yet again! 10/10 and I can't wait to see it again. Oh and we finally got to see Robin! In an unexpected but awesome way sure but still awesome~

12. khuddle

khuddle Member

The movie's box office is going to suffer big time from this latest Colorado shooting. I have zero interest in going to see it at the theatres at this point -- I'll wait for the BR/DVD release -- and I suspect many people are thinking the same thing. Chris Nolan must be pulling his hair out.

13. Spideyzilla

I totally agree. I know some people are scared to see it for fear of copycats (myself included) but the fact people died puts a real damper on things, especially when watching the violent parts of the movie.

14. rggkjg1

i think the film's box office was going to be in serious "trouble" in comparison to the dark knight and the avengers regardless of the current tragedy simply because it's a lacking film. there is definately no rush what so ever to see the film. if you can wait to see it at a later date during the theatrical run or the dvd/blu-ray, by all means do so. i dont think anyone is missing much if they choose to wait to see the film, whatever their reasons.

15. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

There were plenty of packed theatres around the country, including my own. And plenty of worse films have scored plenty of money.

This sounds like you're just projecting your own disappointment to everyone else.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just a reminder that any discussion about the unfortunate shooting can be continued in the Cafe forum thread in the link James Harvey posted.

17. r0derix

r0derix Member

Yeah I am gonna disagree with this. The theater I went to last night had all four of their theaters sold out. And this is not a big town. This is the event movie of the summer. Even with the shooting, I think it will make plenty of cash. Just because you hate the movie (and have been ranting about it incessantly for weeks) does not mean everyone does.

That being said I do think this movie will not make more money than Avengers because of the lack of extra money from 3D (which I am totally with Chris Nolan and glad he did not make it 3D). In theory this movie could sell more tickets but make less money because it doesnt have the padded prices that 3D tickets cost.

18. rggkjg1

i'm sure it was going to do very well in the opening weekend, but we now have this incident and i honestly feel its a lacking film in comparison. buy default is guaranteed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ regardless because it's batman. but it leaves me to wonder if a majority shares similar feelings simply because "it wasnt as good" or if they were impressed enough or even more. i'm not projecting my disappointment, but if someone says that they're gonna wait (as a few posters have mentioned), i'll reassure them they aren't missing much (at least in my opinion). if they cant wait, then go see the film.

it's only been 14 hours since the film openend, and i am really really interested to see how the box office and reception turns out. if it "underperforms", i'm not going to blame it all on the incident (which might be a significant factor), i'm going to mostly blame the film beause i feel it's lacking. if it is a critical and box office smash on par with the dark knight or the avengers, that's fine too.

19. Spideyzilla

It has an 86% on RT. A little low compared to the movies you just mentioned, but that's still a terrific score a lot movies would be jealous of. So it's pretty clear the critics like this movie a fair bit. As for box office, we'll see.

20. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I really enjoyed this film. A truly epic storyline that returns Batman to hero statis and closes out Bruce Waynes legacy as Gothams protector. Im anxious to see it again.