1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight Rises" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Divv

Divv Savage Bhoy

I saw the movie tonight. Really enjoyed it and think that the review scores are mostly fair.

2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Good to hear. So the hype is well placed?

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Well, personally, I like Batman Begins a lot more than The Dark Knight, so I really don't know what to think. :shrug:

4. Spideyzilla

If I may offer some optimism, the average score for TDKR is 8.3/10, while the average score for TDK is 8.4. So the average quality is almost the same, there are just more negative reviews. And there are only 130 reviews, there's a while to go.

5. Bat-Fan Beyond

Harry Knowles is profoundly disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises!

Uh-oh, I have a feeling that reality has finally set in for Harry and he's finally found something that he can't fake the love for.

Based on what I'm reading here, I can totally see where he's coming from and I'm worried that I may agree with him more than just a little bit after seeing the movie. He's basically confirming my fears I have for this film.

Here there be SPOILERS!:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

6. Spideyzilla

Wow. Harry Knowles likes EVERYTHING. That is actually a really bad sign. He is a huge fanboy and if this movie was enough for him to hate, especially if
    That's a terrible idea!

7. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

I've read lot of reviews saying that it's better than TDK. I hope that's the case. This means the "third movie curse"(in terms of superhero films) will be broken and shows what happens when a studio doesn't try to rush a film out by a certain time and when they back off and let the director do what he wants. Usually when a studio backs off is when the writing is better. WB has let Nolan have creative freedom right from the get-go. That's something Sony didn't give Raimi for Spider-man 3 and what would have been Spider-man 4 had Raimi stayed on. It's not a tug-of-war between the director and producers over which characters are in because they're popular and is what "the fans want."

WB wanted Riddler. They didn't force him in the movie. The late Heath Ledger's performance as Joker was critically acclaimed. WB didn't force Nolan to recast him. Hollywood is now 3D crazy, but Nolan hates 3D. WB didn't force 3D upon him. And had WB really wanted to cash in on TDK's sucess, they would have rushed this film out for last year, instead of this year.

8. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Because Harry Knowles is THE BE-ALL END-ALL OF FILM CRITICISM!(TM)

...no he's not, in fact he's about as worthless as Armond is for nearly opposite reasons.

9. Spideyzilla

I know, I know. I just think a movie must have real problems to let the easiest critic in the world dislike it. I haven't really read many reviews calling it the best in the series. I've read more of them which say "It's good, but..." If I'm missing these reviews, please point me in the right direction.

10. Bat-Fan Beyond

The reviews are coming in all over the internet, and some of them are being a lot more critical than what we were first hearing about the film. And it's obvious that even those viewers that have problems with it, still want to really like it, so it's not like they're just hating on it for no good reason, like some of the critics of The Amazing Spider-Man did.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and lower my expectations again, but after the first round of reviews, I actually started to have high hopes for this one. In the end, if it's equally as good as The Dark Knight, then I guess I won't be too disappointed, despite the fact that I really don't think The Dark Knight is as great as everyone says it is. When it's all said and done, I think Batman Begins will probably remain my favorite of the trilogy.

11. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Continue the discussion in the official talkback thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.