1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Dark Knight Rises" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

It's 91% now. I'm predicting it to finish in the 80-85% range, which is substantially lower than TDK.

2. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

I really hope it lands at 90%+ But why do think it will land in the early 80's? There's only 3 negative reviews so far.

Also, I'm pretty tired of the whole "I miss the Joker" card I've seen in some reviews. Joker is one of greatest movie villains of all time, but, Joker's not in TDKR. Get over yourselves.

3. Spideyzilla

Just a gut feeling. I could be totally wrong, and I hope it ends in the 90's too, hopefully above TDK.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

if someone says "the movie wasnt as good" and their only reason for feeling that way is because there's no heath ledger joker, they automatically discredit themselves and their opinion becomes invalid. and if batman does die, that will not be my sole reason for disliking the movie. the apparent lack of realism is my main concern here.

i looked through the rotten tomatoes reviews and i thought this highlight of a negative review was hillarious:
    this might be trivial and irrelevant, but regarding batman/bruce possibly getting killed, would mattel bother to make action figures for kids if the hero ends up dying? they know enough about the movie regarding the secret figure, so i wonder what else they could possibly know.

5. Spideyzilla

Sure, why not? There's money to be made.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's Just A Number

Apparently the official review embargo is ending, so reviews should be flooding in soon.

RT users have been so bad about flaming tepid to negative reviews that the site's editor-in-chief called them out and it's likely they will eliminate anonymous comments. We all hope it'll be awesome...but man, don't let anybody you know act like that if you can help it. Not cool.

7. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

Yeah, I've seen all those comments. It's entirely unacceptable, and I have to admit, makes me ashamed of being a Bat-fan.

Also, people are freaking out that TDKR is at 84%, yet there are only 38 reviews.

8. Spideyzilla

Yeah, but RT tends to go down, not up, correct? It could finish in the 70s.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

No it can go up. I'm expecting a finish in the upper 80's lower 90's myself.

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The ending will be very divisive among critics (and fans). It was the conversation topic after the The Dark Knight Rises press screening I attended. I imagine that will be reflected in the Metacritic and Tomato-meter scores.

I will have the talkback for The Dark Knight Rises up at 12.01pm (ET) Thursday night/Friday morning.

11. Spideyzilla

Nolan has a history of ending movies in a divisive way, and I'm not worried. As for RT, it could go up, but a 16% drop so fast is noticeable.

12. rggkjg1

i haven't seen any of these comments, so if you could give me a run down so i can have some idea here. if they're as obscene/r rated/innapropriate/ect as i'm thinking, these people aren't bat-fans. they're frauds and phonies who are only seeing the film because it's the "in thing".

these same people would most likely make the same comments to me in response to my feelings regarding heath ledger and the dark knight not being the greatest things ever. i would love to get in a heated discussion/argument with these people (in person, not online). ha.

13. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Really now, eh? Hmm...well, I'm still looking forward to it. I assume you'll be writing a review?

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

No no, stop that, I was doing a good job keeping anticipation in check until today!

I'm gonna say......good. The Dark Knight ended on a note that I'd say wasn't exactly predictable or "safe". Don't see why this one should be any different. It might be a problem if the ending doesn't quite feel like, well, an end. But we'll see, & I doubt it.

I've discovered that the earliest IMAX screenings in my area this weekend cost just $11. Yep, pretty glad they didn't go for 3D!

15. Spideyzilla

It seems to have settled at 86% now. I don't follow RT a ton. Are there still more reviews to come, or is this where it will stay?

16. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

There are only about 70 reviews listed there so far. The Avengers had around 260 reviews linked so I think it is safe to say there are lots more to come.

17. Spideyzilla

Well there are now 113 reviews and it's still 86%. Looks like that's the neighbourhood it's going to stay in. I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping this to get huge widespread acclaim, higher than TDK. The fact the majority of reviews say TDKR is not quite as good does diminish my ancticipation somewhat.

18. rggkjg1

on my yahoo homepage under the news stories, i read an article about authors of the negative rottentomatoes reviews were actually threatened. it's totally uncalled for. it's been more than obvious how i've joked about the mass majority of the internet annoiting the dark knight, and anyone or anything associated with it as the greatest ever, but this has totally gone too far. the dark knight isnt the greatest movie ever made (batman begins is better), and heath ledger isnt the greatest actor of all time (cillian murphy's scarecrow is the best live action batman villian).

i'd like to see some of these people make a threat to my face after hearing/reading my above difference of opinion. i'm in the age group of the people i'd expect to be causing this nonsense (teenagers to mid 20s, i'm 25), so that's why i'm being a little "passionate" here in defending my difference of opinion that obviously would not be respected, and why i always say the dark knight and heath ledger are the greatest ever in a sarcastic manner.

19. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

I will admit the negative reviews has lowered my expactations a little bit. But remember, the tomatometer dosen't necessarily reflect you opinion when the movie comes out. I'm actually glad that my expectations are lowered, it will give me a chance to be blown away by the film.

86% is good. That's the same score Inception got. I've actually seen quite a bit of reviews saying it's better than TDK. I wouldn't worry.

20. Spideyzilla

Very good point. I was just hoping everyone would say it was way above TDK, but that may well be unrealistic. 86% is an excellent score, to be sure. It's still better than Batman Begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.