1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The CW4Kids Talkback: "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by D Dubbs, Dec 13, 2008.

1. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

[​IMG][​IMG]

Let's Ride!

On the other side of every mirror on Earth lies the parallel dimension of Ventara – a world destroyed by the evil, General Xaviax. The Kamen Riders were warriors from Ventara who fought Xaviax with armor and abilities powered by their Advent Decks. Unfortunately, Xaviax stole the Advent Decks and defeated all the Riders but one...

Meet the main characters of Dragon Knight:

[​IMG]

Kit Taylor, a once confident, outgoing guy, has his life turned upside down when his father disappears, and he finds, in his place, a mysterious deck of Advent Cards.

[​IMG]

Len, a hard-bitten soldier, is the sole survivor of Xaviax's overthrow of Ventara. He has come to Earth to find and defeat Xaviax's corrupt Kamen Riders and to stop him from conquering another planet.

[​IMG]

General Xaviax has already conquered Len's home planet of Ventara and enslaved its people. The Kamen Riders were Ventara's only hope, but Xaviax stole their Advent Decks and destroyed all of them but Wing Knight. Not Xaviax entends to conquer and enslave Earth, using new, corrupted Kamen Riders as his soldiers.

Saturday, December 13th: Sneak Peak!

Episode Title: "Search for the Dragon"

Episode Description: Life gets truly strange for Kit Taylor when his missing father appears in a mirror to tell him to “Look for the Dragon” and Kit finds a weird deck of Advent Cards. Suddenly monsters are appearing in every mirror and window and abducting people. Kit rushes to the aid of Maya - a cute reporter under attack by these mirror monsters - only to be pushed aside by a mysterious hero.

2. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Damn. It been on for 7 minutes and I already like the show.

3. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Working on a school project, but I recorded it. I'm very excited.

4. Keiichi

Keiichi Prof Lurker

Wow color me inmpressed. A much better adaption than Sabans crap oh so many years ago.

5. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Not bad. The acting could use some work for some of the characters, thought.
    I LOL at how Kit doesn't know how to use his powers yet and Len knocking him out of the way. I hope that they air the second episode along withe first one when the series official premier in January . This episode left me wanting more.

6. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Finished watching it. Here's my review

WOW! WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! This is just incredible. I can't believe how incredibly great this is. This is obviously different from its original parent series Kamen Rider Ryuki and yet, at the same time, its incredibly similar. It has the same amount of mystery and drama while still keeping some small bits of humor while being able to focus on the story properly. And I really like Kit as a protagonist (now anyway, i don't know if it will change down the line). He's just a troubled teen at the wrong place at wrong times....and now being chased by a dragon. You know the usual stuff.

But what I'm impressed the most about is the (for lack of a better word) "quietness." The fact that everything does not need to be a joke and that there is actual stuff going on and the characters do actually have development that will obviously come later.

So, this is not Ryuki but it is looking like a great story to stand on its own and I will be watching it in the future.

Power Rangers, watch your back. There's a reason that Super Sentai and Kamen Rider air back to back in Japan.

Two things just annoyed me a little bit:
    1)The theme...instrumental. Not that it was bad or anything. It's just that I was hoping there would be an actual song and not the title of the song over and over. I mean when you get so used to hearing this, you kind of expect something better. But no biggie

2)"Sometimes to save the world, you have to be....UN-KAMEN!" No 4Kids, just no...Don't play with the word like that. Please.

(Sword breaking on spider's body and being pwned by Wing Knight is funny in any language:D)

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Wouldn't that translate to "Sometimes to save the world, you have to be unmasked"?

Wouldn't that ruin the entire point of a secret identity? :p

8. garfield15

LOL! Dang 4Kids and their mindscrews.

Kamen=/=Common. They're two different languages.

9. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

And the first major enemy is a spider: traditional.

10. Lynxara

Lynxara Member

Dragon Knight keeps more old-school Kamen Rider traditions than Ryuki did originally...

I mean, their belts even spin like the Typhoon Belt!

11. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

It was just a play on words, I'm sure they know that Kamen=/=common.

Anyways not bad.

12. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I thought it was creppy how the spider kidnapped that guy through the building window.

13. PC!

PC! lolwut?

That was...underwhelming. Took way too long to get into the action, and I didn't really find any of the characters to particularly "jump out" at me. Granted, it's the first episode. I'm sure it'll pick up, but thus far I'm less than impressed.

14. Terror of Death

Terror of Death Active Member

I agree. This was extremely underwhelming. It sort of felt a bit amateurish like a team of film students first attempt at a television series. The actors also felt the same way like this was their first gig. If you watch closely you could see the fight between Len and the baddies was edited poorly. And I know this has little humor but they should really get rid of it altogether it failed to hit. The video footage wasn't high quality and the battles were okay. What also irked me was that they failed to explain why Kit was getting into trouble for stuff he didn't do and in long run it didn't feel necessary. (Are we to assume its the bad guys doing?)

I liked that this was a little more serious than Power Rangers but it just seemed less professional. I'll continue to watch it but the pilot has really left a bad first impression on me. :sad:

15. Lynxara

Lynxara Member

Have you ever seen the first episode of the first season of Power Rangers?

Dragon Knight's first episode is like... an hour-long HBO original compared to that.

16. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

I just finished watching it. It totally felt like one of the old, Judd Lynn produced season of Power Rangers, a good thing in my book.

Sure there was a lot of exposition, but I like that. Too many action shows nowadays rush the buildup and just make the characters walking weapons. I'm glad Kamen Rider didn't, although I don't think they'll hook too many kids if the pacing is this slow in every episode.

Kit's fight scenes were obviously a stunt double, but Len's actor seems to know martial arts. He came off like a cross between the Terminator and Tommy Oliver to me.

I assume that shop is going to be the Riders' hangout/retreat, or are the Riders not team based like the Rangers?

I think what really topped it off was that this didn't seem to be filmed in New Zealand. I've already seen that geography for far too long.

17. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

I just asked this in the other topic, when was it on? There was nothing in the listing for it for me to record it on my DVR, and I turned on the tv when I got up and it has been Spider-Man, TMNT, Dinosaur King, Chaotix, and 5Ds is coming on next.

18. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Actually, this is the second version of this episode. An earlier pilot version of this episode was leaked earlier this year, with all sorts of casting changes done between the two.

Sadly, I actually liked that pilot version better than this one (mostly because of the faster pacing that puts you right into the action instead of dragging like this did, plus it had an even darker feel than the final product)...

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I had a similar thought a few minutes after I got done watching the episode. And yes, it's also a good thing. It still looks just slightly better than even the Judd Lynn-produced PR episodes though. It's only the first episode, and although the acting isn't really Shakespearian, it still shows promise and I plan to watch the rest of the series to see how things turn out.

Why would it look like it might have been filmed in New Zealand? This was filmed in California.

20. garfield15

They aren't team-based but they do have places where they hang out that usually are cafe's. I'm assuming that the shop will be Kitt's hangout but I'm not too sure. For all we know, they may not have one.