1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The current state of streaming our Saturday morning favorites.

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by wonderfly, Jun 30, 2016.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I've done a little bit of exploring of the inventory on the various major streaming websites (Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon).

Hulu's doing very well with Cartoon Network and Nicktoons library of classics (stuff like Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim). Netflix has Powerpuff Girls and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Anime is also on the rise on our popular streaming sites, including kids classics from the late 90's/early 00's (like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon, to more mature stuff like Inuyasha and Naruto).

But 70's, 80's, and 90's American cartoons, the stuff that Saturday Mornings were made of...that's hard to find.

Where's Hong Kong Phooey?
    Where's Alvin and the Chipmunks (the 80's version)?
    Where's Superfriends?
    Where's Smurfs?
    Where's Thundarr the Barbarian?
    Where's Exosquad?
    Where's The Tick?

Now some of these (like Smurfs and Superfriends) I have found on Amazon streaming video...but you have to buy them (so it's kinda like just buying the DVD's). Even with Amazon Prime, you still have to buy those individual seasons or episodes.

I recently saw that Animaniacs had come to Netflix. That's a start. But where are all the classic Saturday morning cartoons on legal streaming sites?!?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I've found a pair of sites.

MOD EDIT: I truly appreciate it, but let's stick to listing the legal sites.

#2 hobbyfan, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

MOD NOTE: Edited - I don't believe either site is legal.

#3 PinkiePie97, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  4. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

PlutoTV has some channels devoted to classic cartoons. None of the shows you mentioned, but i have seen Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, and Super Mario Bros. 3 on there. Of course, it's a live stream so you have to catch it when it comes on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Does YouTube count?

6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Unless it's uploaded by an official channel, it's not legal.

7. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

Except for some episodes on compilation DVDs that were released at the height of the Alvin and the Chipmunks isn't available legally on home video or streaming because they would have to pay rights for songs used in the shows (even if the Chipmunks sang those songs themselves). It's also the same reason Kidd Video and Muppet Babies have the same problem, since they used copyrighted clips and songs.
    The Tick, however, did get some legal DVDs released a decade ago, but three episodes are missing from those releases due to them having Marvel parodies in them (they were released by Disney before their purchase of said company). Given how Disney feels about releasing Fox Kids' old shows, we might not see a streaming release unless someone else buys the rights to the show (like Bobby's World, Digimon and Power Rangers) or a miracle happens. We'll have to just wait and see.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #7 mimitchi33, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016