1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Cartoon of the Week" Nomination thread!

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by wonderfly, Feb 2, 2015.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the

"Cartoon of the Week!"
    (nominations thread)

There is a whole world of animation from TV days gone by. So let's celebrate them!

Each week (usually on Mondays) we'll list a cartoon from the days of yesteryear, or occasionally a memorable episode of a cartoon, and just launch a discussion thread for it.

So if you have an old cartoon, or a specific episode, that you want to discuss for that week, post your nominee here, or send one of the moderators for this forum a private message! We the mods can either launch the thread each week, or you can launch it yourself if preferred! We'll operate on a "first come, first serve" method, most of the time, but I think with this weekly method, we will get through several nominees fast! If there are no nominations a certain week, we the "Saturday Morning Forever" mods will nominate a cartoon.

So let's get started and list some choices for "Cartoon of the Week!"

2. wonderfly

I'll get things started with "Challenge of the Superfriends". I considered doing it for the whole series, but considering there are such start contrasts between various years of Superfriends, I decided to focus on on "era" of the show. If others have nominations, feel free to toss them out!

3. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

The Dreamstone is an interesting case. It was a now obscure but fairly ambitious UK project, and the timing would fit since it's now getting a rerelease by Monster Entertainment. There's also a lot to talk about concerning it, it's such a bittersweet show, it has so many awesome unique details and is incredibly funny and yet gets really simple formula elements frustratingly wrong (it was a show that REALLY loved it's villains more than it's heroes and wasn't remotely subtle about it).
    [video=youtube;3jmC4g_RoKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jmC4g_RoKw[/video]

4. wonderfly

Wow, never heard of it. Did it ever air on TV in the USA?

5. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I don't think it did actually. From what I heard it's only American exposure was a single VHS. To be fair, it hasn't aired in the UK in ages. You can find almost all of the show on Youtube however. I'd advise watching the awesome two part pilot at the very least.

6. quiteliterally

I remember The Dreamstone. It had a score by Mike Batt, which was pretty awesome. There was also the follow-up series, Bimble's Bucket, which was basically a variation on the very same thing.

7. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

The Jackie Chan Adventures

8. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

The same team also did an adaptation of The Snow Queen, which added and revised many elements and characters to work in a similar fashion to The Dreamstone (eg. the Snow Queen was now a Zordrak type evil overlord with Urpney type troll minions). They really seemed to like that formula.

9. throwbackman

throwbackman EARTH INVADER

What's the limit for how long ago the cartoon was?

10. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Wonderfly I believe (unofficially) cancelled the idea probably by the end of February 2015 as hinted to the last post before yours - possibly a lack of interest by others or maybe he got bored of it. Only he knows!

11. throwbackman

throwbackman EARTH INVADER

So we can't make nominations anymore?