The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Celebration - Tour, New Album, and General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by rggkjg1, Apr 21, 2012.

1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

[​IMG]
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    thebeachboys.com
    brianwilson.com
    youtube.com/beachboys

ALBUM TALKBACK THREADS:
    (most of the original albums by The Beach Boys have been reissued in a "two for one" single disc CD package. I will post 2 album talkback threads each week through now to the end of the summer.)

Surfin' Safari / Surfin' USA
    Surfer Girl / Shut Down, Volume 2
    Little Deuce Coupe / All Summer Long
    The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
    The Beach Boys Concert / Live In London (*Live In London also released as Beach Boys '69)
    Today! / Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)
    Beach Boys' Party / Stack-o-Tracks
    Pet Sounds
    Smile (The Smile Sessions)
    Smiley Smile / Wild Honey
    Friends / 20/20
    Sunflower / Surf's Up
    Carl and the Passions "So Tough" / Holland (*this reissue is a 2 CD package)
    15 Big Ones / Love You
    The MIU Album / LA (Light Album) (*apparently this reissue disc is out of print.)
    Keepin' The Summer Alive / The Beach Boys
    Still Crusin
    Summer In Paradise
    That's Why God Made The Radio (NEW ALBUM JUNE 5TH 2012)

MY SUGGESTED TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION (knock yourself out by coming up with more):
    1. Are you attending a concert this summer?
    2. What are your thoughts on the new album? Do you have high or low expectations?
    3. We finally got The Smile Sessions released in an official format last November, is there any other unreleased Beach Boys material you'd like to see get released?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. rggkjg1

3. rggkjg1

4. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

So they'll be around my neck of the woods on May 15th. I'm not a fan, but I still think it's pretty cool.

5. rggkjg1

6. rggkjg1

7. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja Staff Member

Brian and I will be at the show in White Plains. Looking forward to it!

8. rggkjg1

the band will release a wal-mart exclusive 'zinepack tomorrow:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/20678933

9. rggkjg1

the wal-mart 'zine pack is more of a booklet about the size of a dvd case. if you're going to pick it up in a store, it will be with the other cds on the new releases/current releases display rack. it was kind of "hiding" for me since i expected it to be the size of a magazine and stand out better.

10. rggkjg1

11. Harley

I'm not super crazy about their new single. But it is better than a lot of what they've put out over the last few decades.

They were good on Fallon. The interview with Love and Wilson went as well as it could have gone. I loved that they played out with Wouldn't It Be Nice. That was on the first mix tape Brian made for me, back when mix tapes were still a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using toonzone

12. rggkjg1

i thought it was simply ok after first hearing it. i'm sure the song will grow on me, but i get the feeling there might be a song on the album i'll feel would have been a better choice for a single. it was most likely picked because it's a nostalgic song. i have really high hopes for the new album because brian wilson's that lucky old sun solo album was his best of brand new original material.

13. rggkjg1

14. Harley

It's much better live.

Good show. Brian Wilson sang Sail On, Sailor, which I had heard he usually doesn't like to do (but sometimes does on his solo tours). He also played the bass (or at least held the bass guitar) during the encore performance.

Sent from my iPhone using toonzone

15. rggkjg1

i had the vip package for the 5/19 show in atlantic city. included in the package was a photograph with the group.

[​IMG]

16. rggkjg1

the group will release 2 new greatest hits packages (single disc and a double disc) and reissue remastered 12 classic albums in stereo and mono:
    via thebeachboys.com

single disc greatest hits track listing and art:
    http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits...344880033&sr=1-7&keywords=beach boys greatest

double disc greatest hits track listing and art:
    http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-50-Big-Ones/dp/B008LA7RH0/ref=pd_sim_m_2

the double disc release is a nice selection and a great introduction, but it's still not enough. there are at least 10-20 additional songs that i consider noteworthy including on a 2 disc compilation. not to mention that that the track listing is completely out of order and random. i still dont get why lots of compilations "randomize" their track listing. just put the songs in release order.

the album reissues look like it might be something similar to the beatles capitol albums box sets (cds in mini record sleeves, album in both mono and stereo on one disc). would it have killed them if they put the miu and la light album two for one disc back in print? maybe these 12 individual album releases are the first wave and we'll get the rest of the beach boys albums in this same format. i guess i'll get the out of print cd then.

i also saw this beach boys dvd/blu-ray, but no press release article:
    http://www.amazon.com/Doin-Again-Blu-ray-Beach-Boys/dp/B008KZY01C/ref=pd_sim_m_3

last but not least, here's a noteworty item from the above press release:
    at first i assumed/thought that this would be a rarities boxset, but now i have reason to believe this will simply be a box with all the albums (similar to the beatles stereo albums box set and the pink floyd discovery box). if this box is all the albums pacakged together in one set, i'm gonna have a hard time justifying a double dip. all the two for one cds were first released in the early 90s and reissued again in 2001. i dont think there was that much SIGNIFICANT improvements to music remastering from 2001 to now. i only need the one out of print, and the very last two for one cds and i'll have all the albums. this box is gonna have to blow me away with with the presentation, bonus goodies, and price before i seriously consider double dipping.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  17. rggkjg1

additional info for the dvd/blu-ray including a trailer:
    http://lamusicblog.com/2012/08/news/new-dvd-the-beach-boys-doin-it-again-out-0828/

only an hour long sounds a little unimpressive. the concept of this dvd sounds great, but i'd rather have an entire 50th anniversary show and not a few songs.

18. rggkjg1

mike love (along with bruce johnston) to continue on with their beach boys group (that doesnt include brian wilson, al jardine and david marks) after the current tour concludes:
    http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-t...-vibrations-beach-boys-reunion-173511608.html

the "official" petition to keep the current group together:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/to-mike-love-we-want-al-brian-and-david-to-stay/

i honestly think no one should be surprised this happenend. it was a miracle that we got this 50th anniversary tour and album to begin with, and now it looks like things are going back to the way they were before this year's reunion. i knew this tour and album was going to be a once in my lifetime chance to see the whole band together and i'm certainly glad i took it and had an experience that i know not many shared.

i'm also being positive regarding this situation because all bands go on "breaks" after tours. maybe mike love wants to continue playing shows in the upcoming months and knows the other members want a break. although, if that was the case, i dont see that being a big deal to flat out say that. i guess we'll find out and go from here.

19. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

Off-topic but sort of funny: the other day I woke up to a text from a friend that just said: "Mike Love from the Beach Boys is a giant d-bag."

He really doesn't like the Beach Boys music, not even Pet Sounds or Smile.

20. Harley

I'm still waiting for the rock and roll album Brian Wilson says he's going to make in most interviews.