1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Batman" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it be like Argo less like Live by Night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Rumor is the majority will be filmed in LA at WB Studios in Burbank. That's a bit of a surprise if true. But I honestly don't recall where Nolan filmed his.

4. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

If I'm remembering right, for The Dark Knight, Nolan used Chicago for part of Gotham City.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Affleck says they're ahead of the curve in terms of prep and should take less to prep than "Live By Night" which took a year plus total. This despite a rumor it was pushed back a few months.

#105 Yojimbo, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I hope needing less prep time does better for Batman then more did for "Live by Night," going by critics' reaction to the latter :sweat:.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

1/10: A bit more on that report that Batman has been pushed back, and the article implies it may be related to Justice League, which this source claims "is a mess." Of course, take it with a grain of salt, this is just one report. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if JL is a mess, let's think about this. We heard reports that DC wanted to make it lighter than BVS, and those reports came at a time when the movie would have either been in production or deep into pre-production. This was also going to be a two part movie for a while, but now it's going to be a standalone. And combine all of this with the fact DC may be in semi panic mode after BVS, and is likely putting a ton of pressure on Snyder to fix things. With all of this boiled down, may I put out the possibility that perhaps Affleck is having second thoughts about DC? He spent months talking about how BVS was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, only for the critics to tear it apart. Every interview I've seen seems to say to me that he's nervous about doing a standalone Batman, and I can't help but wonder if he's starting to regret getting involved at all. Of course this is all pure speculation, and my theory hinges on that report being correct. But if I'm right, than the DCEU is more of a dumpster fire than I thought.

1/30: Ben Affleck has stepped down as director. My oh my, the DCEU never ceases to be more interesting offscreen than it is onscreen.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #107 Spideyzilla, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

No kidding. I am willing to bet this marks the end of this universe. I think he only had BvS, this film, JL, and JL's sequel. I feel really bad for everyone involved in this universe.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't even feel that long ago that they were promoting him as the director :sweat:.

Well, hopefully now he won't have to deal with as much questions regarding when it's going to be coming out :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oy vey. At least he stepped down now and not as soon as with the situation on the Flash.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't say I'm honestly surprised, if a little disheartened given his obvious credentials and enthusiasm, but I'd imagine Live by Night's critical reception and the stress of the entire production process factored into him stepping down from the director's position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Good lord, it never ends. It's a good thing this film doesn't have a release date, because I get the feeling it would be pushed back too.

I don't necessarily blame Affleck; it's been a rough year for him, between the critical reception to BvS, The Accountant, and Live By Night (not to mention his Razzie nomination), but now I kinda wish he hadn't taken the job in the first place.

I guess now the race is on to see which film gets a new director first: this one, or Flash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Matt Reeves is reportedly on the shortlist to direct. Take what you want from that - Affleck stepping down and the search began before Monday or it really happened Monday and WB is scrambling to replace him to retain a measure of order.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At least they've still got Wan :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I totally understand Affleck leaving the role as director. The stress and expectations would surely be too much on top of the other work he's doing for the movie. That being said, it is another hit to the DCEU and I'm starting to think Aquaman might be the only DC movie in 2018 unless another movie like Gotham City Sirens or Man of Steel 2 is added to WB's 2018 line-up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I can live with 1 good DCEU movie in 2018 or whatever year they're thinking. Better than two marginal or terrible ones in 2018. It'slike how 2017 has one X-movie with Logan, I believe. Doesn't have to be 2-3 every year. Just focus on making one great.

Darren Aronofsky or David Fincher might do well with the tone but they can be 'out there' thematically. Wonder if Sam Mendes from 007 or Gareth Evans from The Raid could. Antoine Fuqua could be another but I think he's working on an Ali docu.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #116 Yojimbo, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Now we have more clarity why the'Black Adam' solo film came out of nowhere. Will it be shot this year?

I believe both Aronofsky and Fincher had bad blood with WB. At least one of them, as Fincher seems to be just a hater of CBM. He certainly has more clout than most of those names. Oh how I would love for him to convince Pitt to play a darker Riddler against Affleck's Batman.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I see. Eh, I'm warming up to the idea of Mendes, Evans, or Fuqua anyway. I didn't think of Reeves. Hm.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Don't forget, 2010 was the only year in which the MCU had one film.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

That's funny, several of those same names popped into my own head: Aronofsky and Mendes in particular. Despite a sttring of flops, I wonder if Frank Miller might be made for this project. This Batman is certainly very close to his own vision.

• Like Like x 2