1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Batman" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

#1 Frontier, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  2. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Who did you have in mind?
    Snyder...Scott Snyder;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, he's at least had more Batman experience than Johns has and already takes plenty of influences from Frank Miller, so he actually would be more appropriate even if I don't think Snyder's ever worked on a movie either ;).

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Heard about this, and not surprised at all. Geoff Johns might be first, but in Hollywood fashion others might come along and work on script.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While it's very likely more writers will be brought on, or revisions will be done before the actual movie is made, Johns at least has experience writing for live-action with his involvement in Smallville, Arrow, and Flash :).

Still really surprising to see him this involved in a Batman movie o_O.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Do the directors of these solo movies have majority or ALL say on the films? Or do they have to go out of their way to remind us it's a shared universe, or have the solo character's tone match the overall tone of the cinematic DCU?

I'm not as excited as I would be for Geoff Johns writing this. I remember years back seeing on a forum where a user commented on how they felt that he couldn't write Batman, or just didn't get him. I don't know if I feel that way, but if Batman: Earth One is any indicator, my expectations are low.

I think my main question is this: Do they have Geoff Johns writing to ensure that the film doesn't take it's own liberties from the character/source material because its BATMAN? While most likely, in comparison, the liberties taken for BATMAN will be next to nothing compared to the liberties taken for other characters?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Johns is just a place holder for now until someone else is secured. He'll be involved in the movie either way.

8. the greenman

At this point we don't exactly know how DC/WB is operating in all of this. We have no real indication that their is a kinda chief in charge of all the goings on. Some say Snyder, some say Tsujahara, I mean who knows? We do know someone recently decided to separate the Vertigo CBM's at New Line from the WB DCCU films, yet SHAZAM was apparently part of New Line. Also they still want to do JL Dark. They seem to have a loose plan, but it is undetermined at this point.

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I've been thinking lately this solo Batman movie would be better as a prequel.

10. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Most of the fan suggestions I read were along the lines of adapting the Red Hood. Seems apt given the teases from the upcoming DC features' trailers.

11. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will be a crime noir drama with the CRIME DOCTOR, RUPERT THORNE, and BASIL KARLO as he was originally protray in Detective Comics #40 and #49.

#11 Road to Gotham, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah, one reason I'm excited for a new Batman film is that, unlike Nolan, this one will be more comic-book-ish. I want a villain that we couldn't see in a Nolan film (Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat, etc)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. the greenman

One thing I'm beginning to fear from both Marvel and DC is their fear of doing CGI. The only real characters we have seen developed this way has been Hulk, Rocket, Groot, and Thanos at Marvel, the Sentinels at Fox, and Lizard in Spidey. Nothing in any of the other films. I'm disappointed about Killer Croc and would love to see either Clayface or Solomon Grundy done with Mo-cap.

Yes, we know they don't want budget flares to the hundred millions, but that would be worth it. I'm not sure the directors are very skilled at these things though either.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh most of these budgets ARE in the hundred millions man without the mo cap man. Granted usually within the 150-250 million range but that's still quite a lot. And honestly a lot of these characters already have some motion capture work on them. Hulk, Thanos and Ultron were a mix of CGI and motion capture, and for Groot they used the modeling of real raccoon movements for the character since well you really can't motion capture a racoon for Rocket to work. And honestly I think another reason motion capture isn't used as much as CGI is not just because of the price but also the speed. You can not only do CGI faster in a sense but also you can have the action move quicker as well which is pretty important for action scenes nowadays.

Which yeah honestly sorry if Clayface was ever in these movies he could ONLY work in CGI. You need to have him able to quickly transform and rearrange his body ala the T-1000 and you can't really do that with motion capture. I guess Solomon Grunday depending on which version you went with could work with make up or motion capture but I couldn't see that working, even in the 90's with Clayface.

#14 Neo Ultra Mike, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you could use motion capture for Clayface, if not necessarily for when he's moving around or for his more incredible feats, but for when he's in his humanoid form and you would have him moving and somewhat emoting more like a normal person ;).

16. the greenman

No, I know they are already @ 100 mil +, but there is the danger of going higher into 200. Also, the danger of making it look cartoony. The same exact danger Guardians took, but with DC trying to be serious, it may not mesh well. I saw Killer Croc and it looked pretty cheesy to imho.

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, I thought Croc looked pretty cool, and I was impressed by how well they were able to capture his look with just practical effects :cool:.

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

From Comicbook.com:

• Like Like x 1
    #18 James Harvey, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  19. the greenman

So they also mentioned they have 10 films planned in the next five years. So that slightly confirms we'll have this before 2021.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It'll be interesting to see what the plot of this movie is ultimately about and what elements from the Batman mythos it incorporate into it, as well as how it'll differ from past Batman movies and even Batman v. Superman o_O.

I'll be shocked if Leto's Joker isn't in this, even if it's not an Under the Red Hood adaption :ack:.

How many movies actually have the lead actor also be the director, a job that you would assume would require them to be more behind the camera then in front of it :sweat:?