1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Avengers: Infinity War" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by RoryWilliams, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. Wonder what that might mean for Whedon's involvement post-Age of Ultron and into Phase 3? And I wonder if their directing it might also extend to their being on scripting duties as well?

Completely off-topic, but the Russo's probably could direct a darn good Spider-man film :sweat:.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The translation on that one was a bit iffy on them being finalized as the directors of A:IW. I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

As for Whedon, some of us did weigh in at the MCU thread: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/ente...iscussion-part-2-spoilers-12.html#post4758371 I think he should kick back, but that's not likely. I would like to see remain working behind the scenes like on scripts and recruiting in the least.

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I am sure its possible they will, but to me its not official until it happens.

Case in point, Edgar Wright was the director of Ant-Man for like 20 years.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

The thing is, Whedon will not have a break for like two years. Even the Russo's will just be finishing up Civil War. I'm sure MARVEL want the bros., but it's kinda going to be interesting to see how many actors are in this one and how it can be juggled around.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though I'll miss Whedon, these guys did great work on Winter Soldier.

My only concern is if they can do the space/cosmic scenes. WS was great, but very Bourne-ish. Infinity War, if it's anything like the comic Infinity arcs, will be a huge cosmic epic.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say that Civil War will probably be the best test and prep for the Russo Brothers for Infinity War, since it's going to feature several Superheroes with different powersets sharing the same screen and duking it out with each other. I doubt the events in Civil War will be quite to the scale of what we'll likely be seeing in Infinity War, but it'll be closer in terms of scope compared to Winter Soldier :).

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I never expected the Winter Soldier to end up being as good as it was. If Civil War ends up being as good as TWS, then Infinity Wars will be fantastic!

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I wouldn't worry about that. Remember that before Winter Solider, the biggest movie that the Russos worked on was You, Me and Dupree. So if they can go from a quirky Owen Wilson Romantic comedy to a 70's spy/Bourne Esque action romp without issue, them doing a huge cosmic epic isn't as much of a stretch.

You know as much as I loved the first Avengers and am hyped for Age of Ultron, looking at the newest trailers for the latest makes me realize there's probably going to be a lot of quipping in that film. Which is fine as that's Whedon's speciality and as much as i'd want him to come back and finish the "trilogy" I think I'm good with the Russos taking over. Winter Solider was a good showcase of how they were able to do a good team movie even with a focus on Captain America so I'm sure they can pull of the super big team movie. I mean Ultron and even Civil War are going to be pretty gigantic but Infinity War is going to be Marvel's biggest set of movies likely for awhile. Thus it makes sense they're also going to start shooting it early. Because I'm pretty sure production will likely also spill into 2017 especially as there are sure to be several places and with several different groups filming these two films so naturally going to need a lot of pre-production for that.

10. RoryWilliams

Great news. Civil War is gonna be their big test run I guess.

11. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

They were okay as action directors, which I suppose is going to be the only thing they need to be good at with Marvel films. I doubt they'll be very involved on a story level.

12. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

That's not big news: that was already reported on two weeks ago. Literally the page you posted that GWOtaku you can see someone already reported tha the Russos are directing Infinity War. This is pretty much restating what we already knew. Why are people acting like this is new when we all knew this if you actually saw this thread?

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It was reported then and announced by Marvel today. So okay, it's not "new" but is 100% official as of now. There was an expectation of something big being said today in the Avengers 2 thread and apparently it was this.

14. RoryWilliams

The big thing that Downey was hinting at was that they're having the cast of the movie on Jimmy Kimmel next week. Which is not very big at all but hey i guess he had to sell it.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Now all that's left is what will Whedon do, continue to do work behind the scenes on Phase 3 or leave all together to work on other projects?

I think it was a new featurette with some new footage of AOU.

16. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I hope Marvel isn't overdoing it. TWS was brilliant in my opinion, but that was still just one movie. Marvel is giving these guys the keys to the kingdom based on one movie. I just hope they're ready to take over from Whedon, which are massive shoes to fill. I wonder if Whedon will stay on as writer, I hope he does. He's been sowing the seeds for Thanos for three years and I hope he gets to be a part of it.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree. Even if he feels too tired to direct (he deserves a break anyway), it'd be awesome to have him doing the script.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

#19 Yojimbo, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  19. RoryWilliams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.