The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes "Alone Against A.I.M." Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - A:EMH "Alone Against A.I.M."

1. *****

48.3%
  2. ****1/2

20.7%
  3. ****

20.7%
  4. ***1/2

3.4%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

3.4%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

3.4%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes today inside the Marvel Universe on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes "Alone Against A.I.M."
    Episode Premiere Date - April 8th, 2012
    Caught without his armor, Tony Stark faces A.I.M.'s latest creation, Technovore, a power-hungry monster. While Tony fights for his life, A.I.M. moves to steal the Iron Man armor itself, only to come face-to-face with Captain America, Black Panther and War Machine

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Pretty good episode. Not as exciting as last week's, but then again, it's hard to top Doctor Doom.

I see they used Technovore's origin from Iron Man: Armored Adventures. Are we all going to try to fit those together in-continuity too? ;)

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

Was anybody else a little surprised to see the late, great Boyd Kirkland credited with directing ? It really brings to mind how long ago this season was in production.

This has probably been one of the smallest episodes in scope but it was still as entertaining as ever, IMO. I wasn't somebody that was anticipating the debut of War Machine but I really like what they've done with him. The suit's design was pretty sweet. I thought the dynamic between Stark and Hill was interesting throughout and I also really liked how Pepper handled the AIM guys. Technovore was pretty menacing for a jumbo shrimp.

4. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

All this talk about hero registration makes me think there might be a Civil War-like arc down the road.

5. MarvelManiac

MarvelManiac New Member

This is my new favorite Avengers episode! I'll probably be saying that every week, right? There were a lot of cool moments and some amazing (pun-intended) name-drops. Also, continuity writing on this show far surpasses any other, live-action or animated.

A.I.M. Agents saying Technovore escaped from the Vault.

Stark not caring about the board meeting (who say that every since he decided to stop making weapons stock had dropped 60%) and tinkering with Cap's new shield was funny. "Pepper, throw your shoe at me!" :D Pepper mentions that Tony has barely been at board meeting since he became Iron Man and even less since he started the Avengers, and that he's been funding the Avengers out of his own pocket.

Hill name-drops the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and Spider-Man.

All of Stark's armor being destroyed (by Ultron... technically, by the Avengers, and Dr. Doom's doombots) forces him to build the Mark 9.

Rhodey hasn't joined the Avengers because he doesn't want to be a superhero.

The War Machine suit is bad-ass, with a Gatling-gun, missile(s) launcher, and laser gauntlets! Does it also have Iron Man's electro-shock hip-plates? Looks like it does, but he never uses them.

Skrull-Cap knows how to use a laser gun! (Wonder why? ;))

Pepper pwning Scientist Supreme, and then telling Tony “this had better be reflected in my bonus.” had me laughing.

Hill only protected Tony because "it's her job." (After actually liking her in this episode, I am starting to hate her again, oh so much.)

Tony asks if the date is off while she glares at him.

Edit: Wow, someone gave this episode 1 star. :eek:

6. Avengers

Avengers New Member

Liked the episode a lot, I was kinda hoping to have a better explanation for the war machine suit but I know enough about him to not be annoyed by the lack of explanation. I enjoyed the character bits with Stark and his backround characters, Technivore was awesome, really menacing looking that weird glowing red and black looks really cool. I also liked the look into Stark's personal life and how it directly results in the Avengers success (I wonder if Stark will go broke and need to align with sheild to support the Avengers, long shot but it's possible and would start a civil war arc). Either way it was a fine episode, but I will say the giant Cap shield was on the line of really silly.

So does this mean A.I.M is gone?

7. Rtkat3

Rtkat3 New Member

I think Nolan North reprises his role of A.I.M. Scientist Supreme (which is an A.I.M. rank). Did anyone get the voice of Technovore?

Outside of that, it was great to see War Machine in this episode and how he helped Iron Man overload Technovore and defeat A.I.M.

8. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

This was certainly a much better episode then last week. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was GREAT seeing the FF4 last week, but the episode just felt boring.

This episode really had momentum to it. I loved it.

I have two questions regarding Cap. I must have missed exactly what happened, but what happened to his shield?

Also, we see Cap got a new toy this episode which is the shield we see his son using in Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow. Is this a shield that we have seen Cap use in the past in comics or is this something brand new for this series?

9. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

Loki used his staff to shatter it in the season 1 finale.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

IMO, thsi episode was more exciting than last week's. The technovore isn't that interesting, but it AIM holds my attention just fine.

Maria Hill annoys me. So I guess even after Tony and Co. save her life, she still has to act like an ingrateful jerk. Nice. I miss Nick Fury.

11. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Maria Hill is EVIL. But her glaring at Pepper at the end was funny.

Good episode, good showcase for Stark. It was nice to see Pepper again and finally get some War Machine action.

12. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

When's Fury coming back?!

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

The plasma shield I believe was from the comics when Cap lost his shield. Reading up he's actually had 2 different energy shields in the comics.

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

It's not Cap though, it's Skrull Cap. Maria Hill I also believe is a Skrull.

Great to see the late, great Boyd Kirkland get a directing episode credit for this series. I was surprised to see it too, but then I realized these episodes had likely been produced and finished quite a while ago.

15. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

No, she's just a "rhymes with witch".

16. Martyn Clancarty

Martyn Clancarty New Member

Just seen it a couple of times so as to get my bearings, that Nolan North sounded a bit like Mettalo from the Superman animated series. It was not as good as last weeks just couldn't be Doom being the supreme villain. Team One and Team Two got captured of killed (I am sure that War Machine was using lethal force) did Team Three get away?

17. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord New Member

Pretty decent episode. Nice to finally see War Machine in action. :D Also, Pepper gets a nice bit of butt-kicking near the end. Awesome.

So the data from Stark's mainframe is in the hands of Skrull-Cap...Dang!

The hologram Captain America shield was cool too. :)

18. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Once more, the folks at the helm of the AEMH show that they're really at the top of their game. The story is crisp, the action dynamic, and the writing a nice blend of the main story of the episode and progress on the longer sub-plots and arcs, very reminiscent of the pacing of the best of the Avengers comics in the days before decompressed storytelling and padding...err...writing for the trade collection.

It was gratifying to have another Stark-centric episode, if only so that we could see his much-neglected supporting cast again. Pepper Potts and Rhodey should have appeared before now, especially with Rhodey in his War Machine armor. The War Machine design nicely combines elements of its MU-616 incarnations, and, not to put too fine a point on it, kicks yellow A.I.M. butt, as it should. It may not be as flexible in its responses as Iron Man's new armor, but it sure as heck packs a lot of firepower.

Others opinions may vary, but I really enjoyed Technovore; frankly, I've been waiting for him since "Breakout" in Season One. I know he's basically a short worm-shrimp monster, but I was raised on cheesey horror films like "The Tingler" when I was growing from a tadpole, and retain my affection for the genre.

The AEMH world moves one step closer to mandatory superhero registration, and hopefully this time the concepts will be intelligently explored; the comic version was hasty and ill-thought-out, a bare excuse of a plot device for poorly-written "hero VS hero" fanfic-level conflict. My expectation, built from the superlative job the writers have done thus far, is that this arc will be far more thoughtful and the heroes written true to their characters.

In other notes:

* Stark wears the Mark 9 Iron Man armor.

* Does Maria Hill have any other mode other than irate and [w]itchy?

* So far, Hill's arguments for super-hero registration are a lot more convincing than the comics ever were.

* A few of the arc reactor reaction lines show in Stark's chest, a nice touch.

* Hill conveniently has an appropriate device for repelling down the elevator cable. Batman ain't got nuthin' on SHIELD tech, baby!

* "I expect to have this reflected in my pay raise" - Pepper Potts, after decking the Supreme Scientist.

19. Capt. Speedbump

Capt. Speedbump Member

(Reply from Maria Hill is EVIL)

I actually don't see her as either.

If you really try to look at things from her side, she really is trying to take her job seriously, and if that means she comes off as... shall we say "aggressive"?... hey, it's not like Nick Fury was all sunshine and roses towards the Avengers.

After the Ultron incident especially, one could make the agument that her positions are logical and sound, given her responsibilities and duties. Of course that doesn't mean she's always right, or that registration won't have drawbacks; but I think it it makes for a compelling character and some good interaction with Tony Stark.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  20. macattack

macattack I see you!

It was great seeing Tony's supporting cast again after they were shut out for the second half of season one. Pepper even gets a CMOA. XD

It does look like we could get Civil War AND Secret Invasion adapted into a combined arc, it would make sense and be pretty cool, I just hope there's enough time to do that before episode 40.

That was because the writers wanted to showcase their anti-Bush and anti-Republican opinions by turning half of Marvel into unsympathetic strawmen for the Republicans and the other half into sympathetic strawmen for the Democrats more than to tell a great story. Not to get too political but that was kinda the point with Civil War.

Here, in EMH, where politics have no role, logic and reason is being used to set up the registration. As it should.