1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, May 1, 2015.

?

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" - Discuss and Rate this Movie!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

8.3%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Quoting myself here from earlier in this thread:

The reason Pietro was killed off was due to the simple case of his & Wanda's rights being split between Marvel Studios & Fox. Enough said. Didn't like it, but have to deal.

It's exhibit A in why Marvel has to get the rights to the X-Men, FF, et al, away from Fox.

2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Is there a source for this? Because I've yet to see anyone involved actually say this was the reason. And if that were the case it wouldn't make sense for them to have Wanda survive and join the cast of Civil War.

This is Joss Whedon, the man who made a name for himself by inserting gratuitous shock deaths into his TV shows.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

That is not the case. Marvel has shared rights with FOX for both of those characters because they really have been tied to the Avengers canon just as much as X-Men. As mentioned from others, the death was used as a device just like Coulson. No more than that. Personally, it felt really lame to me.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You know, a lot of comic fans have been complaining about Ultron's personality in the film, but I loved it, and you perfectly sum up why; it helps him stand out from the many, many robot villains from films like Terminator or Transformers. He isn't just some boring robot with the generic, emotionless robot voice. He acts and sounds human, and the sarcastic edge gives him "life" that I don't always feel with robot characters.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I caught the film a second time in 2D. Going in with my expectations at the right level I was able to enjoy it more but the same problems remain. It may be better paced than the first movie but it's still overstuffed and disjointed. While the first hour of Avengers 1 is pretty boring and take a while to get going, the second one never really stops. We only really get a handful of good characters scenes which are so refreshing compared to the non-stop CGI fights. If this was a DC film, it would've been hammered. The movie's ok and fun but I have a feeling a lot of other films are going to far exceed it this summer.

6. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I don't think anyone had that expectation though. Aside from the truebelievers who here really thought it was gonna be one of the best movies of the year? Comic book movie sure...but film? Nah. The reaction across the net has been that it was a good movie..even great...better than the first one. But it has it's sins...if anything I think people should applaude Whedon for still being able to produce a good product despite all the masters he had to serve. I hope its a wake up call for Disney, if all there interested in is printing money then this comic book bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later.

7. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I watched a review that said Joss whedon doesn't do scary villiens
    and ultron is suppose to be scary
    when I think about it yeah whedon done some cool or interesting villiens
    but never down right scary

8. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Whedon has revealed a bit more about what was cut and the alternate ending: Joss Whedon Shot An Alternate

Reading that article has made me eager to see the shots of Quicksilver in costume with Wanda. After all, Whedon does say he was 'in an outfit' for that final scene!

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering what Dr. Cho learned in terms of integrating Vibranium with her Cradle, I'm thinking an out could have been her applying the knowledge to making Pietro a Vibranium lung or whatever. It would pretty much be on the level of the instantaneous wonders the artificial Vibranium did to Tony in Iron Man 2. Maybe that could have been one of the alternate scenes the article talks about. Imo, they could always do it later on. Plus, they didn't show a burial or a funeral pyre or tombstone...

Since Pietro got killed in this Avengers movie, he'll get resurrected and get his own TV show. :D

On Hawkeye and his inability to stop fixing up parts of the house, it's funnier because of his codename and the fact his wife was expecting soon. He was nesting. :sweat:

[strike]I didn't get a chance to listen yet[/strike], but Whedon and Bettany did a podcast with Empire. Lot's of good stuff.
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron Spoiler Podcast | Movie News | Empire

10. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Well, that part also ties into Jeremy Renners real life passion (aka he never quit his day job even after he starred in SWAT) which is basically flipping houses. The guy is way into renovation so naturally it was only logical Clint was also into it too haha.

As for Pietro, I also found it rather interesting that we didn't get any funeral, no nod to people mourning his death, nothing. Not even Clinton "building" a funeral pyre at his farm haha. But seriously I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being on an alternate scene. Also wouldn't be surprised if he's actually not dead. If theres one thing the MCU does is not let death go by so unceremoniously.

11. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

What about Angelus, or Drusilla? And who can forget the Gentlemen, from the Buffy episode "Hush"?

12. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

That's naming the baby after Pietro was supposed to be.

For all the talk of Hawkeye and his secret life and Bruce-Natasha, I think one of the most satisfying parts of the movie was the development of the Clint-Natasha friendship. It was a good part of The Avengers and was part of Natasha's "red on my ledger" speech.

#52 reflection01, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just saw it and I enjoyed it!

The quips never got annoying, there was a lot of action, all of which was good. The story was also not hard to follow.
    My only complaint was that Ultron went evil as soon as he went online, but I can let it slide since he was so delightfully charismatic.

14. the greenman

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, Age of Ultron will be getting a Friday release. This time, Best Buy will offer two different Steel Books to choose from
    -Ultron
    or
    -Vision

No cover art yet. Set for October 2 (I guess Ant-Man will be November or December)

All release formats have 45 minutes of special features including, gag reel, 6 deleted scenes, and an Infinity War tease of some sort called "Unlock the Infinite Six." Digital release is almost a month from the physical release: September 8.

#55 Yojimbo, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  16. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I was hoping then would bring back the One Shots for this Blu Ray. Shame. There doesn't seem to be a lot of effort put into Blu Ray features anymore.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie again, a shame the physical release is so far away from the digital.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree, it is a shame. The Disney era of these releases are showing a low frill attempt at special features. Then they dangle the bonus disc of new special features for the Phase collections. I appreciate the amount of content from Paramount all the more. It does seem like the month long point between digital and physical is a bit odd, but I'm not sure - is that the norm for live action now?

Yeah, the first thing I check nowadays is if there's a One-Shot. They can't have run out of ideas for them and I doubt they're running up to the line of the budget all of a sudden. I guess the cooks are busy running around in different kitchens. Someone needs to pick up the torch and start up the One Shots again. Hopefully, they'll reuse unused footage for a Hank One Shot and collect those WHiH and Pym Tech viral videos for the Ant-Man release in I guess November or December.

18. the greenman

Well, the budgets have increased for these films on each film. Feige said they take a little out of the films budget for a one-shot. Surprisingly GotG's budget did decrease a little, but they put alot of special features on that disc, which look like they may have costs some change.

Interestingly, Ant-Man had a pretty (no pun intended) small budget.
    I'd love a Howard the Duck one.

#58 the greenman, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  19. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#59 reflection01, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  20. tinlunlau

tinlunlau Active Member

I think I'm gonna import Age of Ultron from Hong Kong this time. October is too long of a wait and Marvel is giving North America the shaft again by releasing it so much later than the Asian home video release. Plus the theatrical run didn't last very long either.