1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, May 1, 2015.

?

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" - Discuss and Rate this Movie!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

8.3%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Release date: May 1, 2015 (3D/2D theaters)
    Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
    Director: Joss Whedon
    Screenwriter: Joss Whedon
    Starring: Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Downey Jr., Linda Cardellini, Mark Ruffalo, Andy Serkis, Thomas Kretschmann, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Paul Bettany, Stellan SkarsgÄrd, Scarlett Johansson, Julie Delpy, Idris Elba, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Chris Hemsworth, James Spader, Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Claudia Kim

Plot Summary: Marvel Studios presents The Avengers: Age of Ultron, the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.

Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Robert Downey Jr., who returns as Iron Man, along with Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Together with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and with the additional support of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, the team must reassemble to defeat James Spader as Ultron, a terrifying technological villain hell bent on human extinction. Along the way, they confront two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Wanda Maximoff, played by Elizabeth Olsen, and Pietro Maximoff, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and meet an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision.

Comments?

Discuss anything and everything about The Avengers: Age of Ultron right here!

Related Discussions:
    -Guardians of the Galaxy Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Captain America: The Winter Soldier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Thor: The Dark World Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Iron Man 3 Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Marvel's The Avengers Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Captain America:The First Avenger Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Thor Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Iron Man 2 Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Incredible Hulk Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Iron Man Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Warning: My usual long ranty type of review. And by ranty I mean really ranty. I go on like an absurd amount of tangents on this one because I wanted to get out all my thoughts on it right after seeing it. So with that said here you go.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll post my full review tomorrow, but I loved it. Whedon has done it again!

The cast is huge, but somehow never feels unwieldy, and they're all given a role or purpose.

Ultron, IMO, is a cooler villain than Loki, and I found him fascinating to watch.

The action scenes are a major step up from the first film. Hulkbuster vs Hulk is amazing, and worth the ticket alone. Might be too Transformers-ish for some, though.

Lots of world-building and foreshadowing, but unlike ASM2 never feels incoherent. Whedon makes it look so easy!

Hawkeye fans will be happy. Tons of development.

Not a fan of Bruce/Natasha, though. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Anyway, more in depth tomorrow.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That unfortunate especially because there I've seen a leak of one, but I guess it can be considered fake now.
    Then again it's a good, then people can immediately head to the bathroom after the mid-credit scene. The last couple of Marvel movies weren't really worth sitting through the credits anyway.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I said it earlier in the other thread but I liked it a lot despite some flaws. The biggest one was too much stuff going on. Like WAY too much. I understand the Infinity Gauntlet subplot was important to set-up Avengers 3 and Thor: Ragnarok but it still felt at times like the story was being pulled in too many directions.

Also I totally called Pietro's death. There was a reason there's almost no merchandise for the poor kid!

Vision was absolutely awesome.

And the Klaue scenes have me craving a Black Panther movie now.

6. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Very good movie. Better than the first one. I thought this film did a great job integrating the entire universe and setting up for the future although it did try to do too much. I think this film would have benefited from being split into two films in May and August. We could have learned more about each character in the first part of the movie to set the pay off in the second. Tony and Bruce's relationship was only touched on at the end of Iron Man 3. I would have liked to see an Iron Man 3 post-TWS that included more on Tony and Bruce's efforts to build Ultron. Where did Cho fall in this?

I would have liked to see more of what Thor was doing on earth. He's the only character who seems to be using any type of secret identity on Earth. How does that work? Has he been back to Asgard since Dark World? As a result of these unanswered questions, his visions and his side mission with Selvig was particularly confusing and could have used more explanation.

Cap and Black Widow benefited from the fact TWS was the most recent MCU movie based on Earth and that the movie was so good and did a great job showcasing their characters. I felt like moviegoers who had watched Agent Carter were well-rewarded. Not by Peggy's cameo, but by having backstory about the Red Room. Sadly, Dottie from Agent Carter is the closest we'll get to a Black Widow film.

The Hawkeye scenes were great. So glad none of that was spoiled for me. It was great to learn more about his friendship with Natasha as well.

Ultron was a fantastic bad guy. He's a worthy addition to the top of the list of MCU bad guys with Loki and Fisk. The elements of his personality taken from Stark were great.

7. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

I loved it.

8. reflection01

Good point. That's one way Agents of SHIELD hurts the movie product.

(spacing for the preview screen on the mobile app)

AOS has established that Fury had a TAHITI in order to bring an Avenger back to life. He used it on Coulson. Coulson was supposedly prepared to use it again. So why can't it be used on Pietro?

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Honestly folks, I found this to be just as disappointing as Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I liked that one just the same. Simply put, I left ASM2 thinking it was a convulted mess, but this one is the same, just well put together.

Have you ever been taken to a restaurant where you have all of this food in front of you and they had to explain how to properly go about eating what's in front of you. I have. As a comic fan, I guess I was just disappointed with the character developments in general. It felt like it was paint-by-the-numbers sequel to go out of their way to allow some characters shine, but the execution was poor.

1st off, I didn't care for Ultron. He got annoying real quick for me. The explanation of his personality being culled together from Tony/JARVIS and whatever head got from the internet, but I needed more of a motivation. Herein is where I will NOT put in the Hank Pym upset. However, I felt weird and bored listening to his villainous obligatory explanation. His greatest lines were the few from the trailer, what more do you need? Also, that initial introduction felt really rushed along, I do blame studio interference and time allotment. So directors cut, here I come.

I didn't really care for Klaue in this, felt too fan service and no substance. I don't think Fury should have been in this film at all after the events of Winter Soldier. The Vision and Dr. Cho felt forced in also. I remember someone behind asking if Vision was Silver Surfer. With Infinity Stone, had they been knowledgable could've mistaken him Adam Warlock. I felt the acting for both of the twins was pretty poor, as if they were standing around on a freshman football field.

I like what they did with Hulk and Widow. Very well done, though still upset about even mentioning Betty or his past for that reason. Didn't care for what they did with Clint, that really is one of the things that dropped my enthusiasm for the film. I like how they deliberately addressed Jane and Pepper no shows. It's funny, Thor seems to shine more effectively in ensemble piece.

They ended was expected but a little too Velveeta for me. Same goes with the After Cred scene, as it felt like the entire film, tacked on for a rush job.

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

X-Men: Days of Future Past was better. No one will agree, but I'm standing by it.

11. RoryWilliams

I'd agree, actually. Maybe it was just because Avengers and Winter Soldier were just top notch while the last few X-films (sans First Class) were either mediocre or sucked, but I probably liked DOFP better. Age of Ultron was still a ton of fun though.

12. reflection01

The quality of the genre is getting better so people are getting more picky. Marvel is doing for comic book films what Pixar did for animation.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Anyway, back for my full review.

One thing I admire about Whedon is how he's able to juggle all these characters and sub-plots and still make this film so comprehensible. ASM2 this isnt. Almost every single character, like in the first film, get moments to shine and development. Even minor characters are usually there to fulfill cameo requirements. Some people will claim that there are too many characters, but I love it! Seeing Selvig, Falcon, War Machine, etc. It really feels like a universe that all these characters inhabit, one where any of them can pop up at any moment!

Whedon has also become a better director; the action scenes here blow the first film's out of the water, especially that Hulkbuster fight. That was amazing, and not just because I'm a huge robot fan and a huge Iron Man fan. I loved every second; it's worth the ticket price alone!

The dream sequences were also well done, with Black Widow's being the stand-out. It's the kind of scene you wouldn't expect from this film, I think. Strong stuff! I've heard some people say that Thor's was pointless, but frankly, that's only true if you don't like world building. The Avengers finally know about the Infinity Gems! That's important (the Guardians already knew, of course).

While I overall prefer the first film, this film does a better job of raising the stakes, I think, and also has the better villain. I know a lot of people love Loki, but to me, he never felt like a threat; he was a pawn. Ultron feels like a threat, and Spader's voice is delicious as the robot. I also like the personality the film gave him; it helps to set him apart from countless Transformers and Terminator robot villains.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were both welcome additions (though the latter was cooler in DoFP). Scarlet Witch in particular impressed me with her usage of powers. Vision was also great. He's one of those characters that make you go, "Oh my gosh. I'm actually seeing Vision, on the big screen, in a mainstream film! Just a few years ago, I would never have thought it possible!" Though, he could be in big trouble when Thanos arrives for the third film....

Anyway, the acting is great as usual (no miscasts), Hawkeye fans will be happy at all the development he gets (and that awesome speech in the climax), the musical score works, and Whedon fits in a funny troll moment at the veeerrrryyyy end. The ending will also address the complaints that the team isn't racially diverse. Whedon's dialogue is also sharp as ever.

Still, this film isn't for everyone. It's the least accessible MCU film to the general audience so far, and even some comic fans have claimed to be left a bit confused at some scenes. Pay attention, because apparently missing one line of dialogue can have you missing certain aspects.

Anyway, I think I've said all I need to. I very much enjoyed it, and I doubt I'll enjoy any other film this year quite this much!

EDIT: Whoops, missed one thing: I'm not a fan of Natasha/Bruce. Maybe I'll get used to it, but one thing I could have done without.

14. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I just saw it. and ...It ...Was.... SPECTACULAR! Sorry DC. But it's time to dig your own grave and wave that white flag. Because When Vision acts more like Superman than Superman himself You know it's licked.

15. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I kept waiting for Elizabeth Olsen to ask "Vere are moose and squirrel?" Her accent could've used some polishing ;).

16. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I was satisfied but do Confess I was hoping for that Spiderman cameo

17. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

A) Think there's room for him to still be alive
    B) TAHITI got blowed up good.

18. RoryWilliams

That Spider-Man cameo would have been a disappointment to sit through all those credits for.

I'm hoping there's a director's cut because I feel a lot of the confusion was from bad editing. Thor's plot in particular seems like there was some important exposition that ended up on the cutting room floor.

19. BigEclipse

BigEclipse Member

I will. As of right now, and even after AOU, Days of Future Past is still my favorite comic book movie.

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I agree with what you said about Vision, but despite our objections, Batman V Superman will still most likely make a decent showing for itself.