The Animation Graveyard: Shows we will never hear from again.

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Manga4life, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

So, there has been thousands and thousands of cartoons throughout the years and of course some have stuck and will always be around in some form or another whether it be TV, DVD, stream, or other methods of consumption. But what about those shows that have come and gone and have left no breadcrumb trail to follow? I guess those shows are lost to the sands of time and have wound up in the Animation Graveyard.

What shows do you think belong in the Animation Graveyard and why? I feel that some of the shows below belong because they have no DVD's for consumers to buy, they don't air on television and haven't in a long time and probably never will again, they will never be remade, and lastly because I feel that people have all but forgotten about them since their time on television.

Fantastic Max
    Pro Stars
    Whiz Kid
    Mr. Bogus
    Kid N' Play
    MC Hammer's cartoon (I forget the name)
    Mother Goose and Grim

So lets hear it, which shows belong in the Animation Graveyard?

2. Doguineta

Doguineta New Member

When I saw the title of the thread, HiHi Puffy Ami Yumi came to my mind.

It was a pretty funny show. I liked Yumi's anger, Ami's cuteness, Kaz's cheapness & the cats' episodes. I thought it was doing pretty good, it had 3 (or 2) seasons & plenty of games in the website. But one day, CN removed it from the website and premiered the remaining episodes at like 3am if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure Puffy will never see the airwaves again, and I dearly miss it. Also, Time Squad.

3. BlueMail

BlueMail Chinatown, Chain me Down

Pelswick, I remember that show like it was yesterday and it still is just as funny, but I still have yet to meet ONE person who even vaguely remembers that show.

Tis' a shame really, I thought the show was hilarious what with the oddball vice principal and grandma and it even took a few risks by having a handicapped main character and evaluating growing up as such.

It aired in late 90s early 00s on Nickelodeon

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Class of 3000. Poor ratings, high productions for which the mediocre ratings didn't justify the costs for, not to mention a lawsuit filed against it claiming that the concept and characters were ripped off from a sitcom someone had in the works, guarantee that Co3K will never see the light of day again

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee. Hasn't been seen anywhere since its' initial run on Cartoon Network ended.

Station Zero. An MTV animation/music video hybrid series so obscure that I have yet to find anyone aside from my brothers who have actually seen it. Wikipedia doesn't even have an entry on it.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

At least Juniper Lee isn't completely forgotten, being in FusionFall and all.
    For me it would be The Prince of Atlantis. A show I watched overseas when I was young. I don't think it ever aired in America. It's so obscure there's barely any pictures of it online.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

It may not be completely dead and buried yet, but once my VCR and tapes go out, I'll never see uncut Muppet Babies again. It's in rights hell, right next to Batman.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I remember watching Pelswick back on Nick. I think they started airing it around the time As Told By Ginger began. I thought that it was a nice show with some creative aspects, although I preferred As Told By Ginger due to the more interesting characters and better interactions.

8. BlueMail

Whatever Happened to Robot Jones - Man, isn't that the million dollar question? I remember loving this series' art style that was reminiscent of School-House Rock cartoons, it gave it such a vintage look and I loved it.

But I recall the show getting slightly boring in its last few episodes, and the more I talk to people, I find no one really remembers this show.

The Brothers Flub

This aired on Nickelodeon early 00s I believe and the only thing I remember is that this show involved aliens and snowmen, that's how little impact this show left.

Super Duper Sumos

I hate myself for remembering this show, it was dumb to me then and it's dumb to me now. It's about a group of crime fighting sumo wrestlers and a group of villains wanting to destroy them because……just because I guess. The only things I remember was that there was a girl who acted as the conscience of the group and that the blond-haired sumo wrestler constantly talked about his butt. Needless to say I found this show stupid.

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

One show that came to my mind was Jungle Cubs. It was a series with baby-fied Jungle Book characters. I totally forgot about it until my brother brought it up one time. I remember him watching it but I don't remember a single darn thing about it.

10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Ah yeah I actually do remember the Brothers Flub. It was another alien series from the early 2000's on Nick (another is yet another forgotten cartoon I doubt will ever appear again ever). I do remember the two were essitanlly delievery package boys and were ruled by some ugly queen who they would obey without question and one episode involved one of the brothers gaining some power and another involved genies. And that it really only ever aired on Nickelodeon on the weekends.

Speaking of a show starring aliens that only aired on the weekends on Nickelodeon, anyone remember Butt Ugly Martians? About a trio of Martian heroes who interacted with kids that were chased by some government agent? Besides the hideous animation the only thing I remember about the show was how everyone claimed it was a ripoff of Invader Zim. From the premise to characters to a couple of plots but how it was far, FAR inferior.

And if we're just talking about shows that will never air again on either TV or even really get DVD relases, I'm also going to say Cartoon Planet. Which I'm sure people actually do remember and love (well I remember really liking it and always catching it every Saturday afternoon whenever it aired) but will never get any DVD releases. Which is strange since it did launch Brak (who for a time was actually sort of a considered a semi cartoon cartoon) more into the limelight and get him two shows (the later of which the Brak show you may still see sometimes on AS and does have DVDs) and Cartoon Planet actually was popular enough to have two CD releases but I don't think it has any chance of airing on AS ever again. Unless they were actually smart enough to use it as some sort of clever prank which knowing them they wouldn't do since it dosen't have enough live action (though it does have some life action actually. Before the offical live action shows and movies CP probably had the most live aciton on Cartoon Network overall thinking about it).

But here's something really obscure that will never see the light of day again most likley: The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show. there were a lot of classic Disney Afternoon shows that though will never probably show on TV again will at least have a place on DVD and in the hearts of fans everywhere whose legacy cannot be taken away. But then there are some in the later years who don't even have any sort of legacy and have no chance of even being brought back on some sort of compliation. And the most obvious example would be Shookums. I can't even remember this Disney cartoon ever being aired (I remember Quack Pack and even the mighty Ducks cartoon getting more airplay then this) or even remember what it's really about. I think that has to do with the fact that it's creator Bill Kopp created other very forgettable cartoons that will most likley never air again (such as Mad Jack the Pirate and Toonsalyvania) but even compared to his other work this is something that not only belongs in the graveyard, but has probably been stuck there for years without people even noticing it's death.

11. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

Pelswick was also brielfy broadcasted in Canada on YTV and in French on Radio-Canada. It was funny and the creator of this series, John Callahan, also created another series who was very politically incorrect and I liked a lot, Quads who was on Teletoon!

Speaking of MC Hammer cartoon, I also remember the NKOTB cartoon.

Also, the old early 1960s version of the Adventures of Tintin made by studios Tele-Hachette and Belvision didn't had a rerun broadcast here since the mid-1980s or even a DVD release.

12. AJ Skyterra

AJ Skyterra Holy epic bending, Batman!

I loved Pelswick, and I have met only very few people who felt the same. As Light said, it aired around the same time as ATBG. I thought the humor was solid and enjoyable, and if it were ever to be released on DVD, though I'm just kidding myself with this, I would purchase it.

A pretty recent one is Symbionic Titan. It's developing a pretty strong cult following but i don't think I've seen any DVD features at all. A great show that just didn't have that marketability to keep up with the production costs I believe.

13. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I also recall them having an unhealthy obsession with guacamole.

That show may have been one of the most vehemently hated shows to ever air on Nick. Seriously, if anyone out there was around Toon Zone when this show aired, it always lead to a firestorm of hatred whenever it was brought up. Personally, I thought it was average at worst, though I think it wasn't the show's quality that led to its hatred as much as the fact that it was chosen to be the cornerstone of Nick's short-lived SLAM! block instead of the far superior Invader Zim.

If I recall correctly, the show never saw a DVD release because it was full to the brim with licensed clips that they would have had to painstakingly go through and edit, just as they did when they included clips on the Brak Show DVD as special features. I think it'd be worth the cost, personally, but it would seem Space Ghost is more or less dead anyway.

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I remember that used to be one of my favorites when I was little. When I watched the marathon on Toon Disney back in 2007 I was thinking to myself "Why did I watch this crap?". It was a shameless Ren & Stimpy rip-off and nothing more.

15. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Oh God - these threads are a beautiful thing, indeed for me:

The Buzz on Maggie?
    A Kind Of Magic?
    Neighbors From Hell?
    Kung-Fu-Magoo?
    Detention (Kids WB)?
    Generation O (Kids WB)?

These shows (and movie) are (happily and best left, IMHO) forgotten because they're so dog-crellin' bad. The only way to find them is through pirating, anyway, meaning they're not worth getting caught over something for. And at least 2 or can't even be obtained by doing that - meanig they're already forgotten.

I can think of so much more... Just not now. One release of hatred at a time...

16. BlueMail

Wow, there are some people that remember Pelswick, that's great! I love John Callahan's work.

At any rate, Pecola - this aired on CN back during, oh I can't even remember, it was a very kid-oriented show about a prankster penguin that loved pudding. All the characters were blocks and it was CGI animated, and strangely enough, the animation was pretty competent. The one thing I remember about it was that incessantly catchy theme song.

17. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Ellen's Acres... Oh God - that shows needs to stay as far away from any American televison as possible. Internet, too. And dead, like it deserves!

I'd rather someone be raised Family Guy than on another abomination from Larry Schwarz like this noise is...

Then again, I say these things because it's your basc example of Bad Flash - I mean, those eyes. They'll freak you out!

Seriously, just like Gerald Mcboing Boing (2006) (which I actually liked BTW and is on Jaroo, so it won't be forgotten, just by those who didn't like it), I'm surprised this got to 52 episodes (segments - they were probably run two-at-a-time, totalling 26 epsiodes).

Just like Gerald McBoing Boing (2006), If I could think of a few good shows that don't deserve graveyard treatment/more than just an ITunes release (which a majority of these didn't get), or just simply more exposue than they have/ever had:

Willa's Wild Life
    Pearlie
    CaptainFalmingo
    Ruby Gloom
    The Secret Show
    Jimmy Two-Shoes
    Edgar & Ellen
    Corneil & Bernie
    Yin Yang Yo!
    Mona The Vampire
    (though thst's on Jaroo now, alongside Gerald McBoing Boing andboth Madeline series'/movies)
    Growing Up Creepie
    Grossology

I know most of these are Canadian fare BTW, but we could stand to show some love to our brothers up north with these examples IMHO...

18. Doguineta

Doguineta New Member

I remember all this. Creepie & Flamingo were acquisitions at Latin American Nick, and I remember checking them out. Nothing special IMO. Secret Show was acquired by Jetix Latin America and Edgar & Ellen by Cartoon Network Latin America. I remember checking this but I dot remember much of them.

Nut Jimmy Two-Shoes & Yin Yang Yo! I do remember. A lot. This 2 shows were hilarious. I still find Heloise to be a hilarious, evil & cute character, and the humor of that show was delightfully absurd. I also loved YYY!, the dynamic between the siblings and the multiple enemies. I miss this shows...

Another two shows I though about: Kappa Mikey & Wayside. KM was a really funny show, loved the contrast between Mikey and the anime world. And Wayside is still a personal favorite, which I hope lasted longer than 26 episodes. I loved Dana, Maurecia, Mrs. Mush, Steven, Shari, Mrs Jewels...

19. fanboy

fanboy New Member

Twinkle the Dream Being. Aside from the spanish version of the opening sequence there is barely any information about it on the internet.

20. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars. While I never watched the show in my youth (the show was aired in the 1991 season, five years before my birth), but I did see the entire series online. Of course, it's not as deep in the ground as the rest of these, having a continuation in the web series and all.

The MC Hammer cartoon was called Hammerman. I know Peter Paltridge didn't like it from a few of his articles.

Also, The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper. I remember a bit of the show from my baby years, when I still lived in California. Unfortunately, I've had little luck in my recent history finding even clips of the show, even on YouTube. All I know was it was animated at *shudders* AKOM (though Jonny Mack's former company StarToons, for some reason, is credited for working on it on the latter's Wikipedia), and that it aired on Fox Family in addition to Fox Kids (the latter I already knew aired it from my aforementioned memories).