1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Angry Video Game Nerd" Talkback 6 (Warning: Extreme Adult Content)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Antiyonder, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I eagerly await his review of Dr. Claw's Dump and Pump.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I always hated the "can't go back to the left" limitation in video games. This would never happen in real life, so what kind of sense does that make to have an invisible wall I can't pass to explore what I may have missed? The craziest thing is, this existed even in games as late as 1992. Adventure Island III had it, and what's even more frustrating is that the second game had no such limitation. Why the step backward?

James didn't cover Decap Attack outside of briefly mentioning it, but if you haven't played it, trust me when I say it's 1000x better than Kid Kool. All the seven deadly sins mentioned in this video? Yeah, they don't exist in that game. Decap is actually pretty fun, and underrated IMO.

3. Alshoff

Alshoff Member

The level three ballast puzzle is one of the hardest sequences in a game I've ever seen.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. A radically-styled 80's hero with a radically-styled name, jumping on lots of the same roundish enemies? You know what that is?

It's Kid Radd. The game almost exists! You'd just need to hack the sprites a bit and voila.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

#447 Peter Paltridge, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  6. BugsBunny2600

BugsBunny2600 Member

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Our very own Don East beat him to the punch on the OVA among other reviewers. It's really not remarkable pieces of work. Neither so bad they're funny or genuinely entertaining. They're basically like mediocre episodes of the CBS seasons with special powers included. Still they are something any TMNT fan should take a look at so I hope James does some kind of coverage of them.

The real shame here is he didn't cover the 2003 cartoon and I don't think he will aside from showing he has the DVDs in chronologically confused about TMNT DVDs. He really should talk about it to raise awareness of it and talk about Turtles Forever at lengths.

He actually said some rather positive things about The Next Mutation but I feel there was a lot of missed opportunities for pointing out oddities in the Turtle Tunes and Operation Blue Line. Such as in Operation Blue Line it looks like Mike and Don's costume got their necks mixed up and how in the Merry Go Round song of Turtle Tunes it looks like Michelangelo is humping the air. I'm sure he noticed those things and he usually points them out but I guess he just didn't care to take the time on those oddities.

I didn't know the Turtles had a second rock tour. I only knew about the stage show that they had at some music parks which had different costumes than those. Geez when you think about it there's a ton of variants for Ninja Turtles costumes. Seriously tons of them.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

9. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

That was definitely a great one. I wonder how much of the story is actually true. I fully believe that it was an actual gold copy used in the video, but did James acquire it in an auction or just borrow it from someone for the episode? I hope he shares the true story (assuming the one in the video isn't it) sometime soon...

10. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Interesting episode. I really like the conflict between Pat and the Nerd as well about owning the greatest thing in Nintendo history. I don't find it silly that this game goes for a high price if it's an original, since it is a part of gaming history and all. It's more about owning a piece of that than playing it. Now for the Nerd to have the ultimate collection, he needs to get his hands on one of the prototype copies of EarthBound NES out there. :p

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

That was a great one. I feared we'd only get watered-down AVGNs from now until the movie comes out.

There are only three known copies. Maybe he can compete against that one guy from Blistered Thumbs who has one of them.

12. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Okay, I know Nerd wouldn't have really smashed such rare things, but dear God, I still think I had some sort of nerdy heart attack when he smashed them with a hammer. XD

13. Tash

Tash Active Member

If it makes you feel any better, you can clearly see the save battery fall out when when the gold cartrage gets smashed, despite NWC not having a save battery.

14. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

It definitely made my heart skip a beat.

I'm willing to bet the fake copies were used in the video all throughout, with only the ones shown during the credits being the real deal. No decent collector will risk damage a multi-thousand dollar item while making a video.

Look closely in the scene where he smashes the carts. There's a battery seen coming from inside the gold cart. The actual game he destroyed was a gold Zelda cart (although I bet destroying a Zelda game is a crime in the eyes of many fanboys).

15. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but Zelda is obviously not hard to find on ebay. A great episode, James and Pat had great comedic chemistry. I wonder if James does indeed own that gold cartraige. I would hope so: it'd be awesome to see him complete his NES collection.

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Actually, Mike Matei said in a comment in the Gametrailers page that both carts belong to Pat, meaning that only the reproduction cart belongs to James.

17. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

One amusing thing about the Coming Out of Their Shell Tour is that even the kids knew that the Shredder costume was horrible. It's not on the VHS tape of the show that the Nerd has, but on the very first performance of the tour they actually broadcasted it live on Pay-Per-View. The VHS tape is a recording of that performance, but they edited out some of the things that they showed the Pay-Per-View audience before the show and during the intermission. On the Pay Per View showing, they had a bit during the intermission where the male reporter interviewed some random kids from the audience about the show so far (This is before he goes down to the basement of Radio City to meet the Turtles). He asked one kid what he thought of Shredder, and the kid answered "He looked better in the movie!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.