1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Angry Video Game Nerd" Talkback 6 (Warning: Extreme Adult Content)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Antiyonder, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Goin take you back to the past...

He has pens/markers in his pockets. He is armed with a Power Glove. He drinks the beer known as Rolling Rock. His profanity makes sailors seem like saints in comparison. He plays Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, The Virtual Boy. Even has The Atari (2600 and 5200).

He's James Rolfe/The Angry Video Game Nerd!

Note: To enjoy his videos, you need to keep in mind that his reviews are more of a satrical humor. Yes, some gripes about the game are geniune, that doesn't mean he outright hates the game.

Previous Talkback Thread:
    - Talkback 5

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Last time we were talking about the Street Fighter 2010 review, which went up last night.

That more than made up for Winter Games, and was a great way to start 2010. The commentary, the sidetracks to talk about other SF games, the analogies that one who's played video games can relate to (the bit about playing a game for so long that you get good, then get bad again because you've been playing too much), all good stuff, and frequently FUNNY. Call me crazy, but it seems like he even had an anger level that was more like his 2006-2007 persona. The only thing lacking was the ending. Otherwise, this was a fine return to form and pretty much disproves the notion that "back to basics" AVGN videos nowadays are inherently boring.

Looking forward to what else 2010 brings. :)

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea I thought last night was good. Cool to see him put one out earlier than expected. Lots of good stuff, the use of Street Fighter 2 music and sound effects, the constant trailing off to learn and play other Street Fighter games, his montage of how frustrating the last level is. I liked the part where he had to fight a boss in the sand and it wouldn't be so bad if the sand wasn't around.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

I love the SF 2010 review.

I always wanted to know about Street Fighter 1, and how come Capcom has never really done anythign with it in the way of improvements or rereleases.

IMO remaking it seems like the ultiamte obvious idea, but then again, so is Remaking FF7, and that still hasn`t happened yet.

5. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

The gag at the start when he went to get his mail was awesome, but the rest was kinda dull to me.

Probably because he wasn't really reviewing much of a bad game, as opposed to something like Rambo (I mention that because I was able to play it recently. I don't blame him for hating it.)

6. BugsBunny2600

BugsBunny2600 Member

The Street Fighter 2010 video was indeed awesome. I enjoyed the Winter Games episode a lot as well. And Little Red Hood was probably the best one from last year. The 4 part Castlevania series, were good. Not incredibly funny, but I don't believe they were meant to be. That was more of a retrospective thing to lay to rest all his thoughts on castlevania. (he probably was still getting emails about his first video and wanted to lay it to rest! haha) Some episodes are better than others. That goes for any show though doesn't it? Overall, I always have a good time watching the avgn.
    For this episode in particular, I really enjoyed how he talked about how your skills get better, then you get worse, and then better again. I could relate to that even though I haven't played SF2010.

7. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

I really liked this episode. I'd heard Street Fighter 2010 was bad, but I guessed the stories were a little exaggerated. I know that feeling of a game being just hard enough thet your determined to finish.

All in all, a good episode.

8. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I really like the episode, I'm actually interested in playing 2010 to see what it's like. Because of this video, I know that there was a game based on the Street Fighter movie, when has that ever happened anyway? A game based on a movie, whom basis was from a game?

9. SSJ Jake

SSJ Jake Pony Sue is Pony

Only other time I've seen that happen was Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run, which was supposed to be a tie-in for the Spy Hunter movie even had the movie's main actor Dwayne Johnson, but the movie was delayed and put in development hell before production could even begin, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Great review, makes me actually want to try Street Fighter 2010. Shame Kevin Straker never appeared in any of the Street Fighter games, further distancing this one.

10. Invidente 7

Invidente 7 Active Member

Actually he did, He's Ken Masters...IN THE FUTURE...and IN SPACE! :eek:

Or at least that's how Capcom wrote it in order to sell it

11. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

I played it in the arcade on one of those Capcom machines with multiple games on it. I agree with AVGN, the controls are awful and your special moves never worked. Plus, only having to characters to choose from is pretty boring.

12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I thought this was a good review. The most stand out bits: going out to get the mail, the constant side tracking, and the Nerd finding what could have been a good game in it and finding some enjoyment out of it.

Although I still prefer Spoony's Street Fighter 2010 review more but not by much.

13. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Great review to kick off the year. I can attest to his criticism with Street Fighter 2010, its nearly unplayable from what I've played of it. The poor connection with Street Fighter is completely laughable.

He did get me interested in trying out the Movie game. They actually kept their movements surprisingly enough.

14. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Same, he even said that the movie game wasn't even that bad of a game. His only complaint other than the whole movie based on game gets a game based on the movie, was that the controls were stiff.

15. BugsBunny2600

BugsBunny2600 Member

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

17. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Ahhh, Zelda music.

18. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Does James really play these games or does he find the cheats online and pretend that he played? I can't really imagine him wasting an entire day on something as bad as this.

19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It's idiotic how in the NES port of a PC game, nothing was changed. That is so clearly a PC interface; they even left "Save" and "Load" intact. He never told us what "Game" does.

I guess the only thing stupider would be to port an Atari 2600 game and change nothing. Wait...that was Ghostbusters.

Cool AVGN action figure in the opening.

20. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

He probably plays the game without cheats initially, seeing as far as he could go with this, and if he runs into a wall he cheats to move on, then tries to do it again on his own, cheats if he runs into a wall, and so on and so forth. Or at least that's what I think.

In any case, decent review. I would've liked if he talked more about the other odd options of the menu, but am content with what he did. I would take issue with the fact that he just fast forwarded through most of the game in his review (which kinda skips over potential joke material) but at the same time, looking at the game... I would give him a pass. It looks tedious as all hell.

Also strange really, the first thing I thought of as a template for Hydlide is not so much Zelda, but the Tower of Druaga. Must be the odd dungeon mazes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.