The Amazing World Of Gumball – News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by The Huntsman, Nov 14, 2009.

1. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 New Member

Anybody else getting an animesque vibe from this show? The characters designs and colorful artsyle remind me that of a japanese children's cartoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I don't see it.

Well, those stills were pretty interesting. Kind of wished that I was able to see it in action, but they're pretty cool for what it's worth. I kind of like how the dinosaur looks in one of the pics.

3. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

:^: Yeah I think I see it.

I'm still a little skeptical about this show, but it does look pretty cool.

4. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

Huntsman, I appreciate how you've been keeping close track of this. There's hardly anything to talk about, but I always click on this thread whenever you post an update.

Looking at the screenshots, Gumball doesn't seem poised to break the trippy mold at all. That's not so bad, though, because the art style and design aesthetic is very charming. It's very much an European reincarnation of Chowder. What Gumball needs to prove is that it won't be a clone of Chowder in the wrong places; i.e. bad writing, repetitive humor and insincere characterizations.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

In the wake of CN's recent comedies, I was concerned that Gumball was going to be just another 'dude-bro' show along the lines of Adventure Time and Regular Show. Judging by the above pics, that would appear to not be the case, at least not in the sense of it being 'dude-centric'. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the 'dude-bro' comedies (I don't watch AT anymore, but that's neither her nor there), but those shouldn't be the only kinds of comedies that CN shows. I can't wait to see that opening sequence in motion. And I'll co-sign Huntsman's hope that the mother character will be a 'fun' character. I like cartoon moms in general, but too often they get shafted when it comes to the laughs. It would be nice to a mother character break that mold, and I love Gumball's mum's pose in that second pic.

It would seem that Gumball is skewing toward a younger audience than say, Regular Show, and that's not a bad thing. Again, variety is the spice of life.

6. Fillet-O-Fish

Fillet-O-Fish New Member

Yeah, I check this thread every time there's a new post but never post myself. This looks really original and creative (but I'm one of the people who does like the trippy comedies CN is making now so maybe that has something to do with it). This looks really interesting and the combination of art styles looks really really nice. I'm really excited.

7. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

To be precise, it makes me think a little of Parappa in terms of the character designs.

I honestly can't wait for this. Out of curiosity, Huntsman, how's the soundtrack?

8. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I really like the orchestral stuff. I posted an example earlier in this thread. It's not all orchestral - the music in the series is almost as varied as its animation - but you don't hear orchestral stuff in children's animation that often. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't really comment because I don't know how to really review music. I liked what I heard, however.

9. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

Really nice stuff. Everything I've seen and heard about this has a nice, for lack of a better term, "artsy" quality to it. I just really hope the writing lives up to the visuals. Though Adventure Time and Regular Show thus far have done a good job of avoiding Foster's and Chowder's pitfalls, so hopefully this will also be part of that winning streak. The fact that it's apparently meant for a younger audience would seem to at least somewhat imply that, anyway.

10. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

I can see that, but the "anime children's cartoon" look is only a little bit of Gumball's style in my eyes. The other style influences I see are something along the lines of The Power Puff Girls' bold, stylized, highly organized designs (only a lot less angular). So kinda like Professor Utonium, except with A LOT MORE curved edges. (P.S. I'm more so reffering to the look of the later seasons of the Power Puff Girls).

Once again, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Thanks for all the updates, Huntsman. I'm looking forward to that clip. :)

11. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Any idea if this show will be aired as a half hour show or a quarter hour show?

Looks pretty neat so far.

12. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I'm loving this artwork so far. I don't know what it is, I just think it looks really cool.

Can't wait to see it in action. It really shouldn't be long before some video starts popping up, especially if that spring release holds.

13. Doguineta

Doguineta New Member

I can see that the old checkerboard logo shows up in the main title. Other than that, it looks great so far.

14. chdr

chdr New Member

I'm pretty sure Gumball is being aired as a 15 minute show.

15. CatChancey

CatChancey New Member

With relatively little to talk about, I might as well say the artwork is fantastic - pure eye candy. It would be fantastic if the show really pulls through in the story department. Even if it doesn't I could see myself muting it just to look at the lovely animation.

16. chdr

chdr New Member

Sweet, a preview of Gumball is airing right now!

17. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

Just saw the clip on the HoG aftershow.

It looks good. Real good. Getting excited now.

18. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

Looks like Gumball is coming to the USA! :D

19. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Sneak peek was cute! Now I'm REALLY looking foward to see this! :)

20. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

Same here, I didn't like the designs at first, but it looks really good!