"The Amazing Spider-Man" Video Game Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. River26

River26 Active Member

With each past Spider-Man movie-game tie in it's only right that Activision also create a Spider-Man game as well. This one is based on the '12 film of the same name.

By IGN DS

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

So I guess Activision gave up on that whole give devs time to make quality Spidey Games after Shattered Dimensions.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Activision used to give them time, they gave up on that. Annual games make more money?

So far this is how I stand toward their console Spider-Man games went like (system I played the game on)
    • Spider-Man (PS1/N64): The best Spider-Man game of its time, first good really game after Maximum Carnage and Spider-Man vs Kingpin on Sega CD
    • Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (PS1 exclusive): I didn't feel it any less enjoyable than the first, even with the copied backgrounds and almost identical gameplay, it felt so nice and I still love both games
    • Spider-Man the Movie (PC): Had potential to be better than the previous 2 with the upgrades it got, but how slow Spider-Man is tamed the experience notably
    • Spider-Man 2 (PS2): First game out of an annual release, best of its time, still really good, glad it had more time for developing
    • USM (PS2/PC): Released a year after SM2, kinda sad, it could have been better than what we had, but it's lovely and upgraded some stuff notably over SM2. And its not glitchy, first Activision game free of glitches
    • SM3 (PS2): Less enjoyable than the ones before it, I enjoyed it for what it is. Story is really decent though
    • SM3 (PC): At least they had more time to develop this one than they did USM, it has flaws with so much done in it I could accept, but it received too bad a reputation, way too bad and named so many flaws that aren't really there, I think this one is the last really good Spider-Man game released, and its my favorite. I agree with Hellcat about the QTE's at times seeming to require pressing them a moment before they show though
    • SMFoF (PC): It was aimed at preschool kids, story is decent, voice performance is nice, 2P mode and playing as other characters is fun. I enjoyed it for the good stuff it did, but that was that
    • WoS (PC): Was the most cringe worthy Spider-Man game, one of the worst games I played with its sadly terrible story, terrible characterization, Spider-Puppet-Man, supposed to take gamers seriously but I never felt that, bad Kingpin voice performance and actor, and it's overly repetitive. Learned to enjoy it for some stuff, but still is a stinker
    Then Activision CEO came with his statement, a bad one, and forced more bad decisions

Then we received that dread from Beenox I played on PC, stinker No.2 in a row, feels like the TMNT 2007 game on the PS2, but even did a meh thing much worse, and received high praising it doesn't deserve. It managed to be worse than the stinker before it

Finally EoT (PS3): Not a bad game, sure removes some of the rare good stuff SD did, but it does more improvement than not, the game is actually good, but not good enough to keep me from deterring of "No more Spider-Man games from Activision for me"

Now news of this is released, and they said in a time very near of July 3rd 2011 "It's too early to start working on movie tie-in", so we have around 3 months and 10 days this piece of info, it strengthen my resolve of not wanting anymore Spidey games from Activision, Now I'm more believing this game will suck and rehash more combat moves than not

What do you think of the news of the movie game release?

4. Gregatron

Gregatron New Member

You should have played the DS version of Web of Shadows. That game was a Metroidvania type of game. Some of the boss fights were annoying but I liked it. And it had multiple endings.

Of the console games I played:

-USM - I didn't like it. I hated that if you got away from the target/villain at a certain distance then you'd fail.

- FoF It was good. I liked the team ups with the villains.

- Shattered Dimension Another good Spidey game, I liked having 4 different Spider-Men.

I haven't played Edge of Time yet. I'll wait for a price drop.

I think Activision is greedy and dumb making Beenox produce 3 games in less than 3 years. The Metacritic scores aren't looking good for Edge of Time, and since ASM is a movie tie-in, it's almost guaranteed that this game will be average or bad.

5. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

The DS version of Shattered Dimensions was like this too, which made it even more disappointing when Edge of Time was developed by Other Ocean, and turned out to be a complete failure.

6. Miyamoto Musashi

That game is fun, I enjoyed it
    That's the right way to describe them, which is sad, they used to be one of my two favorite game companies, second to Capcom

7. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Capcom has fallen pretty low as well.

8. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I'm worried that this game won't be as strong as Shattered Dimensions or even Edge of Time given what seems to be a short production time. A game was bound to be made to tie into the new movie but I hope it's handled well. I'd love to see some open world web-slinging again.

9. Dr.Jackstraw

Dr.Jackstraw New Member

herderp activision is the devil xddddderp

It's spider-man. Spidey hasn't made a terrible game yet (key word being terrible), so naturally this will probably be good.

10. Miyamoto Musashi

I saw it, and I'm sad about that
    I was seriously hoping they would avoid it

Spidey hasn't made a game yet:p

11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Friend or Foe was a terrible game and I personally thought Web of Shadows was awful too so Spidey isn't a bullet proof property, nothing is. And Spidey has been in several mediocre at best titles the last couple years which isn't much better.

I think it's time to let a studio actually have a full cycle with the webhead again. It's been a very long time since I really liked a Spider Man game or even looked forward to one, although SD sounded pretty cool so maybe I might try it someday.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I don't get the hate for Web of Shadows at all, unless people are talking about the inferior PS2 or Wii versions. I played it on 360 and really liked it, nice epic storyline, cool fights.

Spider-Man has had terrible games, though. Spider-Man and X-Men: Arcade's Revenge was made crap by its impossible difficulty.

The NES games are pretty much unplayable, too.

13. Miyamoto Musashi

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Looks good. Hope there's an easily unlockable classic costume.

15. River26

River26 Active Member

Seems it will be returning to it's roots of a sanbox world. As compared to the past straight-forward games.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Well that's encouraging that they split themselves to make this game get a full development schedule although it seems EoT kind of got shafted because of it but it is what it is. As for the trailer..it's alright, nothing wrong with showing off your engine. I've never really liked any Spider Man open world games. I like the web slinging but usually little else. So hopefully they can pull off something more interesting than past Spider-Man games.

17. Miyamoto Musashi

I like open world Spidey games, more than half of the best Spidey games to me are open world, and so far I have a top 5 Spidey games among my all time favorite games.If ASM manages to enter as No. 6 I'll be real happy, and be sure Beenox love me when it comes to delivering great gaming experience in a Spider-Man game

18. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

The Amazing Spider-Man has been officially announced!

[​IMG]
    THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN RETURNS TO NEW YORK CITY

Swing Through and Explore Manhattan in the Next Web Slingin' Spider-Man™ Video Game from Activision® and Marvel
    An all-new Spider-Man is poised to bring the action back to New York City as Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), and Marvel Entertainment, LLC announce The Amazing Spider-Man™ video game, planned to launch summer 2012 tied to Sony Picture Entertainment's upcoming feature film of the same name. Created as an epilogue story occurring entirely after the events of the movie, the game features the return of free-roaming web-slinging all over the city and evolutionary improvements to navigation and combat, as the newly anointed Spider-Man is plunged into an all-new storyline charged with protecting Manhattan from a variety of criminals.

The Amazing Spider-Man
    is in development at veteran game studio Beenox, and features an original narrative crafted by Hollywood writer Seamus Kevin Fahey (episodes of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica) that continues young Peter Parker's adventures following the events of the new film. Using the game's new Web Rush mechanic allows players to pull off a vast array of moves never before possible. With a story that takes players through many areas all over (and under) Manhattan, fans will feel what it's truly like to be a Super Hero, as they experience the cinematic adrenaline rush of web-swinging through the city and fighting crime using Spider-Man's spectacular acrobatic moves and attacks.

Fans can check out the WORLD PREMIERE EXCLUSIVE TRAILER for The Amazing Spider-Man video game during Spike TV's Video Game Awards, airing live on Saturday, December 10 at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT.

For more information on The Amazing Spider-Man, please check out http://www.TheAmazingSpiderManGame.com.

19. Miyamoto Musashi

Thank you James, you provided me with the necessary reason to post this

New trailer
    Why is he swinging from nothing @0:46?
    Not impressed, but not as disappointed as I was watching it since the start

20. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Not a single exciting thing to be found in that trailer. I really hope there's more to this than Spidey simply fighting Spider Slayer robots over and over again.

With it taking place after the movie, I assume a fight with The Lizard is out of the question too. I wonder what villains we'll get this time?

I still haven't played Edge of Time yet - I hope this game is better than what I've read about EOT. I did enjoyed Shattered Dimensions though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.