1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Amazing Spider-Man" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Rate and Comment on This Series!

1. *****

28.6%
  2. ****1/2

28.6%
  3. ****

28.6%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

14.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Yup, i like how Avenging adds more to it. I do hate how Doc Ock gloats that he beat Spider-Man without realizing that Peter had the last laugh and it will show on future issues.I like to see Doc tries to act more friendly with Peter's friends and stop acting like he's superior to them, leave that to Spidey and not the Superior Peter Parker. He will soon realize that because of the friends Peter had made he will see how useful they are on tight situations and Doc has to appreciate that even if he hates to admit it.

He thinks it will be easy to be Spider-Man but he will soon realize it's not a walk in the park,

2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Okay, I have read a Spidey title in a long time, but this is a milestone issue for various reasons, so I paid the somewhat outrageous $7.99 for the book. In isolation, it's not a terrible read. Of course, you have to have the mindset that nothing in comics is ever permanent, so you can't let any anger you might have about Doc Octospidey drive you nuts too much. So with that in mind, the only other thing that bothered me was MJ's lack of befuddlement at Ock Spidey's weird speech patterns.

All in all, I think the story was surprisingly engaging.

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That is the really weird thing in the book. That nobody really notices Peter is acting outrageously strange. M.J. is the worst example because Spock is selfish, verbally short and mean and she acts like that's the way it's always been. It's like those old cartoons where He-Man or whomever will be replaced with an evil twin with glowing eyes and no one will say "Hey, why are your eyes glowing?"

4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

5. Shawn Hopkins

I'm trying to get caught up with this series, starting with One More Day, and, man, is it hard. Very rarely have I found a comic that's actually painful to read, but this one is a tough slog.

6. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Yeah, Dan Slott's writing will do that to you. Although I actually LIKED #700 surprisingly. It was crazy cheesy, but it kind of worked as the "final" issue anniversary celebration thing. Also, Movie Bob, ugh...

7. Shawn Hopkins

The reveal about Peter reminds me of Dr. Light in John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Dr. Light was haunted by the previous Dr. Light, who seemed to be pushing him to be more heroic, until he tricked him into killing himself. I wonder if Peter will try that if the whole pushing Spock to be heroic thing doesn't work?

8. Shawn Hopkins

Still tryna read OMD. I've been working on it for more than a week, but about four pages at a time is all I can stand. I laughed out loud when the devil said "I want your marriage!" and put it back down again. So stupid.

The weird thing is, there are hints of good writing and insight into the character in here, but it's all crammed so hard into a plot-induced-stupidity rife editorially mandated package that it still manages to be, hands down, the worst Spider-Man story I have ever read. The worst clone saga issue is Shakespeare compared to this. Utter garbage.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Still trying? Wow. it doesn't get any better, you know.

10. Shawn Hopkins

It's just four issues. You'd figure a fella can make it through four issues of anything, but this one's starting to challenge that preconception.

Edit:

Made it through it! Whew!

Okay, here's why I think it's the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read, and it's not because Spider-Man makes a deal with the devil. It's because this story gives us a Spider-Man who has learned NOTHING in nearly 50 years of stories. The whole point of Spider-Man's origin is that he made a terrible mistake and made up for it in the only way possible, by becoming a better, more caring person.

But in this storyline he conveniently forgets all of that. He doesn't want to deal with the consequences of his mistake, and it's not because he cares about Aunt May, she's just a prop for his true selfish reasons. He doesn't want to live with his mistake because it MAKES HIM FEEL BAD. That's his real motivation, he says it himself. He's such a selfish child that he's eager to give up his love and any future kids he would have, to the devil, because he didn't want to feel bad about something for a while.

That's just not Spider-Man. That's a spineless wimp with less emotional strength of character than you would find in a random person on the bus. Adults live with their mistakes, they go on, they try to be better. They don't take easy outs this way. I know it was editorially mandated and JMS did his best to justify it, in fact he sneaks in commentary on how screwed up Peter's choices are from Mephisto, but it's still an awful package.

#290 Shawn Hopkins, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013